Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in the 17th, recommendations please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found several in the price range (need a twin room for two older ladies, $150 per night is the edge of maximum) Hotel Fertel Maillot, Hotel Neuville, Fertel Etoile. Hotel Ferdinand. Does anyone have further recommendations? Closer to metro is better as they will be using the metro to get to more central areas of Paris. They don't mind stairs and the metro, but walking long distances begins to get painful for one of them. (as mentioned in a previous post, one of them has a cousin who lives in this area and will be visiting her fairly frequently. The cousin isn't particularly close to a metro so she may be using a taxi to visit the cousin on occasion)

Anyway, any reviews, opinions or suggestions of places you have stayed in this area would be most welcome.

Is this an area where there will be cafe's, shops, and charm outside a hotel? I'm not familiar with this arrondisment as I have personally only stayed in the 7th and 6th.

I have read all reviews on the Tripadvisor, and they are very few. The web site for the Ferdinand looks pretty good.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

I like the area a lot, but it is very residential. There are shops and cafes, but they are more oriented toward the people who live there rather than to visitors. Still, you get a good sense of day-to-day life in Paris.

Many of my favorite things to do in the area, however (market at rue Levis, brocante on rue de Courcelles) do involve a lot of walking.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM

It would be good to know where in the arr. the relative lives. The arr. borders are rather arbitrary. If you knew where, it might be they could stay in the 8th or 9th and be more central and still within a short walk or ride.

Here are some budget hotels listed in the 17th from a website I like, jack-travel.com

The Hotel Monceau Etoile sounds best of this group to me and is on Rue de Levis where Elle mentions a market.

17th arrondissement

Hotel Champerret-Heliopolis, 13 rue Heliopolis tel 0147649256  fax 0147645044
Very quiet hotel with 22 rooms, decoration a little disco. It is super clean and the welcoming very convivial, rooms comfortable with satellite TV, phone, hair-dryer. Some rooms have with nice wooden balconies and an adorable patio on which most of the rooms look out. Single for 59.50 €. Double 66.50 €. With bath 77 €. Three nights package for 153.50 €.

Hotel Monceau-Etoile, 64 rue de Levis tel 0142273310
Spic and span hotel with everything impeccable. All rooms have TV, hair-dryer and mini-bar. A few are under the roof, often visited by the sun. 66 € a single with shower,75 € to 100 € a double with shower or bath. You are a stone throw from the park Monceau and the area is very animated and lively.

Hotel Flaubert, 19 rue Rennequin tel 0146224435 fax 0143803234
An agreeable hotel with the originality of a patio filled with green plants. Offers comfortable rooms in pastel tones with mini bar, phone TV and hair-dryer. Certain are mansards.
Single according to size 61 to 75 €. Doubles for 76 € to €.

Hotel Jouffroy,  28 passage Cardinet tel 0147540600 fax 0147638312
Familial, very quiet hotel in the heart of the quarter de l?Etoile. Its 32 pinkish rooms have all satellite TV and phone. Single for 47 € and double for 54 € with shower and WC.

Hotel Mederic, 4 rue Mederic  tel 0147636913 fax 0144400533
Sympathetic hotel with a very caring reception. You will be       century offers 28 rooms with cable TV, telephone, fax adaptor, hair-dryer. This hotel exhales a Parisian charm where certain rooms have even a baldachin bed of absolute romantics. Single from 89.50 to 115 €. Double from 89.50 € to 115 €.

Then if you look on venere.com they have a great map. If you select the 17th it shows you where each of their hotels are located within the arr. and what it looks like from the outside. Your Fertel hotels are in the extreme west of the arr. Not sure where the metros are though. The area around Parc Monceau certainly looks most central.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:55 AM

If I remember correctly, petal is looking for something close to the periphique, near Porte Maillot.

If you're willing to stay more in the core of the arrondisement, rather than on the edges, I think the Eber Monceau would be a good choice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM

What time of year is this for? Rates can vary a lot in that area depending on whether it is high season (Sept/Oct) or low (eg, August).

I can recommend the Regence Etoile on ave Carnot not far from the Arc. I stayed there and it was lovely and very convenient, although that was years ago, so I suppose it could have changed. Location is still good and very reasonable rates for what you get,and it is in your budget:
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75017regence.htm

I've also heard good things about the Elysees Ceramic which is on the border of the 8th/17th in-between CDG/Etoile and Ternes metro. It does have a lovely Art Nouveau facade which attracted me.
http://www.ceramic-paris-hotel.com

That's an example of where it is around 135-150 euro during low season but around 200 euro in high season.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... relatives are on rue de Dobropol, which is near Porte Maillot, thank you elle. Christina, we are talking about high season, sept. 8-13th These are good suggestions.. I am instantly to work on them.

mclaurie.. went to Jack's site. I've actually been there before 2 years ago when I was planning MY first trip to Paris. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Anyone else out there anyone who has actually stayed in one of these hotels who can give me some idea of the lay of the land?

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:47 PM

I have read that Hotel de Banville is supposed to be good.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hello, petal! You could check this one out online: Hotel Jardin de Villiers, www.hotel-paris-etoile.com.

They've got AC (good for noise control) and an elevator (helpful for two tired "older ladies). Shoot, at the end of every day in Paris, I feel like a tired older lady, too! A very happy lady, but a tired one.

I have an 8 x 10 photo taken in the 1950's of two 60+ tourist ladies sitting at a cafe in Paris, wearing prim, printed dresses and straw hats with net veils.

The first lady is frowning severely at a map, the second is bent over the straw in her tall glass, sucking up whatever's in it with great gusto.

Are your two ladies that sort?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM

If the 16th is a possibility, I'd recommend the Regent Garden--it was built for the doctor of Napoleon III, I believe. The hotel has a nice front courtyard and rear garden, and the rooms--especially those on the first floor (our 2nd)--are spacious and elegant.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel de Banville--it's one of my favorite hotels in Paris. While it's in the 17eme, it's not near Porte Maillot--it's closer to Porte Champerret. It's also a little beyond the price range specified.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM

Just a reminder that you can put a hotel address into www.mappy.com, and put the nearest metro in, choose 'pedestrian' and it will tell you how many meters' walk it is between them.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I had NEVER seen Mappy before and what a find that was!! Thanks so much. I have taken all the hotels mentioned, reviewed them online and have sent them in a concise email to my friend who is SO delighted that people are helping her find a "place". I did find out that her cousin has an auto and can drop them off and pick them up but she also wanted to be able to go maker her way when that isn't convenient "on her own".
(I have to say Hotel de Banville (sp?)looks lovely and I believe it is within walking distance of her cousin's house. Looks about as close as the metro. (or am I getting it confused with another hotel) Anyway thanks.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Do you have a map of Paris? Hotel de Banville is a couple short blocks NE of Champerret metro stop. It is definitely farther than the Porte Maillot metro stop from her cousin's house. Probably about 7 blocks.