Hostal Persal or Hotel Europa?

Oct 16th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Hostal Persal or Hotel Europa?

My 12 year old daughter and I are going to Madrid for 3 days in mid-November. I've narrowed the hotel down to Hostal Peral or Hotel Europa? Has anyone been to either? Or does anyone have any other suggestions in the 65 to 75 Euro range? Thanks!
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:14 AM

agquad,
I have 3 Madrid hotels/hostales on my budget list (for 75 euros or less) because they've received consistently solid reports from readers on the message board at www.madridman.com, where budget lodgings are frequently discussed.
I've toured the first but haven't had the opportunity to inspect the other two, so I'd also appreciate first hand feeback. The Persal's rates include buffet breakfast. I prefer the Persal's location above Plaza Santa Ana to the Europa's on the Puerta del Sol, but that's just my personal preference.

Hostal Persal
www.hostalpersal.com

Hospedaje Madrid
www.hospedajemadrid.com

Hotel Plaza Mayor
www.h-plazamayor.com

Oct 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM

We stayed at Hotel Europa last year and wouldn't stay there again. It would have been fine in my student travelling days, but was a bit "tired" and the bed was much too soft (asked for a board, but couldn't get one) and the room very small. It was clean and priced reasonably for a large city like Madrid, but I think you might be better off checking out Petrabax.com (if you live in the U.S.) or just Bancotel.com if you reside elsewhere. We just purchased several Bancotel vouchers from Petrabax.com for $63 each (plus $25 for shipping) and these vouchers are good for 4 star hotels. Good luck.
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Hostal Persal is a good choice. it is located at Plaza del Ángel #12, Tel. +34 913 694 643; Fax. +34 913 691 952; [email protected]

Expect to pay 60-65 Euro for a single, 75 Euro for a double, 105 Euro for a triple, and 120 Euro for a quad.

This place is being renovated, and until the renovation is complete, I do not think that a single is worth 65 Euro in its pre-renovated condition.

Here is a picture of what this hostal looked like as of October 2002. http://www.multimadrid.com/madrid_to...ction_2002.jpg

Does anyone know if the renovation is complete? Have you stayed there since it was renovated?

Also consider Hostal Pereda http://www.ctv.es/HostalPereda/ , located at Calle Valverde #1 (2nd floor), Tel: +34 91 522 47 00 / Fax +34 91 522 47 09, email: [email protected] Expect to pay 35 Euro for a single, 54-61 Euro for a double, 68 Euro for a triple, and 3 Euro for Breakfast (continental). If you reserve on their webpage, you get a 10% discount. To reach Hostal Pereda take the Metro to Gran Via Station ? the hostal is right on the corner.

Another hostel is Hotel Rivera; #79 Calle Atocha; tel: (+34) 914 296 130; Email: [email protected] Web: http://ocio.arrakis.es/hostalrivera/index.html This place was renovated in 1998 and has a/c and all rooms have a private bathroom. Expect to pay 27 Euro for a single and 39 Euro for a double & for an extra bed add 11 Euro.
Another option is the Hostal Aguilar, located at c/ Carrera de San Jeronimo, n? 32, 2? This is located between Sol and the Prado. They have large rooms, including the bathroom. The website is www.hostalaguilar.com Expect to pay 33 Euro for a single, 45 Euro for a double, 60 Euro for a triple and 70 Euro for a quad.
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:28 AM

We stayed at the Europa a few years ago and were very satisfied with both the hotel and the area. We had room 310 which faced the front and we could look to the left and watch the activity in Puerta del Sol. If noise is a problem for you, you probably would not like this room.

The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff was pleasant and helpful (only one English speaker when we were there). There is a cafe downstairs with both inside and outside tables. We enjoyed sitting outside in the evening, sipping sangria and people watching. We ate there a few times and the food was okay.

The hotel is a short walk from Plaza Mayor and a large metro stop is just across the plaza. Also lots of shops and cafes in the area.

Based on our experience, we would definitely stay there again.