Andalusia & Madrid Lodging

Jul 8th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Andalusia & Madrid Lodging

Hi. Looking for recommendations for our trip to Spain in mid-October. We will be going to Madrid, Córdoba, Seville, Ronda, Granada and back to Madrid.

We prefer bed & breakfasts and boutique hotels. Would like to be in the $100 to $140 range per night. Ensuite bathroom mandatory. Breakfasts included would be a plus

Prefer to be within reasonable walking distance of major sites and restaurants. Close to public transportation would be helpful. Short cab rides also would work.

We are not planning on renting a car with the possible exception of Ronda to explore the White Hill Towns.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Looking at reviews for B & B's and boutique hotels I'm starting to think hotels may be the better option.
Jul 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM

B&Bs are usually run by non Spanish. You need a casa rural
Have you tried booking.com? Filter location cost and even see prices in the type of dollars you use. (Canadian, Hong Kong. USA, Australasia etc)
The trouble I often see is the different types of Boutique hotels. It is not a clear enough standard so try not to use it.

PS mid October is going to be high season so expect to pay more. Why? because there is a public holiday then.
Jul 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM

well, a "boutique hotel" is a hotel, just an expensive one by most usages. I don't know what you mean by that term, I presume just a smaller hotel but not a standard modern chain (some of which can be relatively small) that is newly built.

I have a favorite hotel in Madrid which is a great location, traditional furniture, and not modern newly-built style, but it isn't "boutique", I guess. It is a 4* hotel and modestly priced compared to many, though. That is the Intur Palacio San Martin. You won't get that for 100 euro in mid-October though, even though it is cheap compared to many fancy "boutique" hotels. Well, they do have an economy room on the ground floor for close to that rate, but at 140 euro (which is about 14 pct more than $140).

You are going to want AC at that time, at least in the south, and hotels aren't cheap in October, although they should be cheaper last two weeks than first two. You'd be able to get a cheap hostal for that rate, though, and there probably won't be problems outside of Madrid, which is more expensive. The Madrid hotels I know, even the cheaper "boutique" ones (like the Room Mate chain) are going to be around 200 euro or more at that time. You want something for around 100 euro. In Madrid, the Hotel Plaza Mayor would be in that price range, it is certainly central. Hotel Mediodia near Atocha station is in that price range, also, although nothing fancy.

In Seville, I imagine you'd like the Hotel Amadeus which is sort of like a B&B, but it starts around 200 euro at that time. You'd probably love the Hotel Dona Maria near the cathedral, but it's more like 150 euro a night. This is a B&Bish place, cheaper than the Amadeus but in that area, and it's around 150 euro a night. http://www.lascasasdelajuderiasevilla.com/en/

I'll throw this out, although I think you can find a lot in Seville, depends what kind of style you want (I mean stylish versus blah, of which there are a lot). This is a Hotel and you can get a double room there for arond 120 euro.
http://www.hotelreyalfonsox.es/el-hotel
It's comfortable and a great location, even though modern and not boutique. It's not a super huge hotel, it's very hear Hotel Amadeus, actually. I liked it better as it was more comfortable, great AC and a great location, and it was cheaper.
Jul 9th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I have been doing a lot of
research and have found prices around 150 euros
or more. Didn't realize there was a holiday that
time of year. Adjusted my price range to 150 euros
to 200 euros.

By boutique I mean non-chain and not too large -
preferably 15 rooms or less but this isn't that
important.
Jul 10th, 2017, 08:47 AM

Even boutique hotels are not usually that small, I do not know where you have been staying, that is unusual for a hotel to have less than 15 rooms. In the US, some "boutique" hotels are actually chains (such as Kimpton).

Even the Amadeus has about 30 rooms. I don't know any hotels that small, so if you've found some to choose from, that's good. I guess that is more like a family-run B&B.

Maybe somebody else has stayed in that kind of place and can advise.
Jul 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I am totally rethinking. I don't want a generic chain that has over 100 rooms. I am looking for accommodations where you know you are in Spain; more authentic.
Jul 10th, 2017, 04:52 PM

We stayed at La Casa de la Juderia in Cordoba. We enjoyed it very much.
Jul 10th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Oct. is very popular travel month in Spain . It is usually still hot in Sept.
Oct 12. Is a national holiday. 150-200 euros is a reasonable range .
Like Chiristina ,I don't think I have stayed in many hotels with 15 or so rooms
In Granada , try Casa Morisca ...very authentic, but it might be more expensive
Jul 10th, 2017, 07:19 PM
CGS

We also stayed at Casa de la Juderia in Cordoba and also liked it. We only had one night there and wished for more. In Ronda we stayed at Hotel Montelirio. Liked that very much also.
Jul 10th, 2017, 11:30 PM

Madrid, Persal is right in the heart of the city, excellent value: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/per...rid.en-gb.html

Granada, Rodri is in the heart of town and very close to the cathedral/capilla real: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/hos...dri.en-gb.html