Gifts to bring to Italian relatives

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought I'd share an idea about what to bring the relatives in Italy. Last time we brought candies that are native to New England. I wanted to bring a little something this time too, but couldn't think of anything. I came up with the idea of getting some votive candle holders with an American design. I got some really cute ones and they were half off since it's almost the fourth. For Zia I got some dishtowels and potholders also with an American theme since she spends a lot of time in the kitchen. Now is a great time to get these items since there are many relating to the fourth of July and they will all be on sale.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for maria, we have many posters who go often to Italy, help her out.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Maria,
On a trip to Paris from Seattle I took a Picture Book I had bought at Borders of the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure there are similar books of New England.
They were fascinated. A student I home cared for from Paris brought me a bottle of French Brandy. I don't think I'd give anything Patriotic.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Pork rinds, grits, cornbread mix and country music CDs. They will be talking about you for a long, long time.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM

HI--if they are your relatives, you know them but I must echo the recommendation of johnthedorf about nothing patriotic. Dried cranberries--from Trader Joe's--if you have access to one or else just Ocean Spray are possibly a new "delicacy" to them, or cranberry vinegar to combine with their wonderful Italian olive oil on their salads as these are definitely native to New England.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM

I know that degas was joking about country western CDs, but that is exactly what we just took my Italian cousins! They love country western music, and were very excited about receiving the latest and most popular country western CDs from America! (But they also collect American pop art, so may not be representative of all Italians...........)
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Well I am still proud of my country and feel that when I visit it is a good opportunity to show the good side of Americans. Our relatives and the many people we me are also interested in American things and I know these small tokens will remind them of their American relatives.