A new book for Lovers of paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

"Paris Discovered: Explorations in the city of light" by Mary McAuliffe, a contributor to the journal, Paris Notes. She points out the remnants of the historical past like Augusta's Wall and like the book, Paris Secrets, she points out the interesting oddities. Besides the history she includes visits to her favorite ice cream shop and amusing tidbits like one of the legends about The Closerie des Lilas (one of my favorite places) One of the best concers the painter Fernand Léger who was sitting with friends on the terrace when he spotted a beautiful young bride riding a bicycle, her veil streaming in the wind. He jumped to his feet and hailed her She stopped and said it was her wedding day(she was about to marry a notary's son) The bicycle was one of the wedding gifts and couldn't resist a ride.
Looking at the time, she realized she over estimated the length of her ride. Léger told her all was not last. He ended up marrying the beautiful bicyclist.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a delightful story!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM

Great minds think alike! I ordered it last week from Amazon and it should arrive in the next few days. I enjoy her contributions to Paris Notes - my favorite Paris monthly publication.

Also, another great book that I got last week, is One Thousand Buildings of Paris, Jorg Brockmann. The black and white photos with the accompanying brief descriptions/infomation on each building is very well done.

It is not a 'carry with you' type of guidebook. It weighs about 3 pounds (or feels like it). It is a sit at home, walk through Paris book.

He also wrote/photographed One Thousand Buildings of New York.

Between this board and all of the wonderful recommended books and those that I find on my own .... who has time for housework.

Nina
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

For a more historical book, "The Paris Metro: A Ticket to French History" by Susan Plotkin.
Next up I'll read "The French Riviera: A Literary Guide for Travellers"."

" Little Money Street: In Search of Gypsies and their Music in the South of France."
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM

Free excerpt from "Paris Discovered.."

http://www.parisnotes.com/free/discovered.pdf
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM

cigale - Last week I ordered Susan Plotkin's The Paris Metro, which you had recommended in a previous post.

It may be out of print, or comes from some far off place, because there is a 4-6 week delivery wait from Amazon. Mine is due to arrive the end of October or early November. I couldn't find it locally.

So many books, so little housework.

Nina
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Nina, to collect more dust bunnies, read
Rodolphe Trouilleux's "Unexplored Paris."
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Cigale ... I've just spent over an hour trying to locate a copy of Unexplored Paris. I called numerous independant book stores and the big chains here in SF, to no avail. None of them had the ISBN, author, or title in their computers.

Amazon had it, (2003 edition) shipped from France with French text. (that's how I got the ISBN).

When I googled it, I found the post here from March, with you and Stu T. amongst others, having the same problem finding it in the U.S.

Looks like I'll have to look for it in Paris in December. You mentioned seeing it in a book store in the Marais, but not buying it. Did you ever go back and get it, and do you remember the name or location of the store? I'm sure that I won't have any problem finding it there in French, but unless it is only about menus ...I will have a very difficult (read that as impossible) time reading it.

Now I am on a mission ... DH loves that, epecially when we are traveling and I drag him from place to place looking for a specific item.

Nina
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I bought my English version on line, I forget where, I usually use abebooks.com or alibris.
The bookstore in the Marais was near my hotel, one of the closeby streets.
The Rue Veille Temple.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM

For some beautiful pictures look at ABOVE PARIS, by Robert Cameron and Pierre Salinger ISBN 0-918684-19-6,
Incredible photos taken from a helicopter
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

This is for Sandy.
Stu's last book "The Wayfarers" will be made into a movie.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Nina, here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Paris&x=32
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM

Ahh Mimi, it is good to see you here

I love the story of Léger and his bride !
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM

I did check abebooks and alibris when you suggested them a few hours agol. abebooks - shipped from France, not sure if in English. Alibis - no results. I even checked with Powells in Portland.

Rather than order from France and take a chance and hoping that it will be in English, I think I'll wait until December and check out book store in Paris.

Cigale, thanks for taking the trouble to try to locate it for me. I appreciate it.

Daka, you're right, Above Paris is a beautiful book, I've had it for years. Also I have lots of books on the rivers, gardens, towns of France, not to mention recipe books. Moi addicted...NON ....

Nina
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM

I'm sure that a lot of you know or have this book, but one of my favorites is, Paris in a Basket: The Food and the People, by Nicole Meyer and Amanda Smith.

The pictures alone are with the price of admission, and the information about every market in Paris is the frosting on the gateau.

This book makes a great gift.

Nina