Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Giada OR Casci in Flroence - which way do I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my last major decision before I start worrying about trains and museum tickets etc. I have offers from Hotel Giada and from Casci in Florence which somewhat fit in my budget (under 125 Euros). Or should I still look for something even better that I may have missed. Please share your experiences and opinions and help me make this decision. I have done a search on this forum but hasn't been very helpful.
Thank you.
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:30 AM
hdw

you may have already made this decision but I'll give you my 2 cents anyway. I stayed in the hotel casci in December and I would stay there again. The staff are very friend, rooms are clean, it is centrally located, there is a safe in the room as well as a fridge.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:48 PM
rex

I have stayed at Hotel Giada, and I would rate it just so-so. I honestly don't remember the room(s); the staff/service was adequate. The location is fairly good, but a little bit weird, as there is a perpetual street-full of vendors' stands right in front of the front door. Not a terrible negative, but you do walk through all that during the daytime (they all disappear at night).

Going purely on what I have read here about Casci, it (Casci) may be the better choice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:45 PM

If you opt for the Giada, the key to happiness there is to request a room that is NOT on the street side of the hotel. (Which is probably true for most hotels in Florence.)
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Aurora: We stayed at the Casci last year and loved it. The Lombardi family that own and run the hotel were like family. All my e-mail inquiries were promptly answered, we were givengood restaurant suggestions, the location is very good and the included breakfast above average. Carla even gave me a calendar when we were leaving. They also arranged for parking for our car. Nothing but good to say about the hotel and the people who operate it.
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. I ended up making reservations at Hotel Europa which I have read on this forum is next to and very similar to Casci, and I was getting a "suite room" for a price tiny bit cheaper than Casci.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Aurora,

While in Florence you may want a private guide.
I just got back from Tuscany. We hired a private guide in Florence named Alessandro Cammilli. He was wonderful. A native of Florence, he speaks good english, & knows some of the off the beated path sights. He's very reliable, & very reasonbly priced at $25 per hour for two, $35 per hour for four. He furnishes the transportion, & can take you to Pisa, to the wineries in Tuscany, to good restaurants, to and from the airport, etc. Alessandro is a good italian driver, just don't watch any of the cars when in Florence. Our trip would not have been the same without Alessandro's help. He can even reserve tickets to museums in advance.
You can reach him [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------