Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Changing from Lido Beach Area to Main Venice - Need help in deciding which hotel is in the best location

Search

Changing from Lido Beach Area to Main Venice - Need help in deciding which hotel is in the best location

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:12 PM
donnabee

I am changing our hotel from the Lido area to the main area of Venice. Since I am not familiar with Venice, can someone tell me which of the following 3 hotels are in the best location. 1) Hotel Gritti Palace - situated on the Grand Canal; 2) Westin Europa and Regina - also on the Grand Canal; 3) Hotel Danieli - not sure where that is.

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hotel Danieli is on the Grand Canal, a few steps away from San Marco Square.

San Marco Square and Rialto Bridge are the most crowded parts of Venice. This is where the bus tours unload.

On the other hand, the Danieli is considered to be one of the great hotels of Europe. If you can afford to stay there, go for it.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I have not stayed at the three you mention, just visited. Each is an excellent hotel. I don't as much like the location of the Danieli--too congested. The Danieli faces the lagoon, though not all the rooms do.
At the two other hotels, not all the rooms will face the Grand Canal, only the front-facing rooms will.

I have a long file on Venice.
If you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Bootman4U

We've stayed in both the Gritti and the Europa and they are basically next door to one another along the Grand Canal...literally a five-minute or less walk from San Marco. A lot of people would tell you that you cannot beat their location..and for the prices both of them charge in the high season you might ask if they'd be willing to CARRY you to San Marco each time you go. Enjoy!

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:24 PM

All three are in excellent locations and rather close to each other. Venice is small and we walked everywhere when we were there, never even taking the water buses, just walked and walked over one bridge, then another- dreamy.

The Danieli is the most 'commercial' feeling of the three because as the previous poster said it is smack in the middle of everything. Although it's one of the most well-known hotels in Venice, if you don't get one of their premium canal facing rooms you might be stuck in a small unspectacular room, perhaps in the annex so be particular when booking.

The Gritti Palace, in my opinion, is the most luxurious and upscale;doesn't feel as commercial because it's small and charming. If money were no object, this is where I would most likely stay; in a room on the canal w/terrace.

Just a few buildings down from it is the Europa. Again, a lovely hotel; even though it's on the Grand Canal, the entrance is hidden so it feels more private than the Danieli and it's not so high profile. I was able to get a great rate at the Europa since I'm a Starwood member (all 3 are Starwood properties) plus they upgraded me. You can not go wrong with any of these three hotels. I would base my decision on the best deal I could get for the kind of room I want. Have fun.