Hotel des Balcons - Paris

Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Hotel des Balcons - Paris

I finally decided to stay at this hotel for our honeymoon in May of 2006. A few questions..

How do I contact the hotel? I saw you can book through parishotels - is this a reliable source?

Is it too early to book now (June)?

Thanks in advance..
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

I know nothing about the hotel, but see it recommended often.

But I would not book it through someone else, especially so far in advance. I think if you contact the hotel directly yourself and make clear you're booking so far ahead because it's your honeymoon, you czn request and will probably get one of the best rooms. I'd check back with them about three months before going and again about a week before just to be totally safe and so they will be more likely to "know" you when you arrive.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:31 PM

Looked in paris.org, selected hotels, then "G".
GRAND HOTEL DES BALCONS
3 rue Casimir Delavigne
01.46.34.78.50 fax 01.46.34.06.27

Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM

Sounds like Patrick has very good advice on this booking strategy. We stayed here on our first trip to Paris - in 1998. It was quite pleasant and affordable, and we were very satisfied. We also liked the location. However, if you are looking for something really exceptional as a honeymoon hotel, this may not fulfill your expectations.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM

Balcons is my home away from home while in Paris: See the following web site http://paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:27 PM

Have been there many times. Best breakfast of any hotel in that price range in Paris that we have ever had.

However, if you want a quiet room, ask for one in the back. The front ones let you hear what is going on in the street till well after midnight.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:16 PM

Travelnut brought up the thread that I started after my January Paris trip, when we spend two unsatisfactory nights in two different rooms at the Balcons. For about 10-15 euros more per night, we thought the hotel just down the street, the Delavigne, much prettier, more elegant, and providing much nicer ambience. I admit that our opinion of the Balcons is not what most people report.
Tuckerdc mentions that in the past it was a satisfactory hotel experience but perhaps not quite up to honeymoon standards.
I definitely agree.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM

I'm not really one to speak of the Balcons as I've not stayed there. However, while the rates are attractive, the rooms don't appear to be very charming for a honeymoon visit.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM

I have also heard good reviews about this hotel, but when I was booking rooms last December (our trip was this past May), I never received a response from them. I filled out their reservation form and emailed to inquire about it a few days later and heard no response.

My first choice had been the Hotel Muguet(close to the Eiffel Tower) because it gets great reviews for being very clean and a good value. They were however, booked for that time frame. I ended up booking with the ST. Thomas D'Aquin and I was very happy with them. The location was great St. Germain area and it was very quaint and the room was so clean. We paid about 120 euros per night ($150). I cannot recommend it enough, but I don't know what kind of hotel you are looking for.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

I'm thinking of visiting Paris next year and have been inquiring of different hotels. Just coincidentally the Muguet I thought I'd check with. I thought I'd ask about the possibility of reserving an Eiffel Tower view room. I was pretty surprised to get a quote of 165 euro for a "Standard superior with a view". In the past, you couldn't reserve those rooms specifically. No one really knew how they were assigned.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM

I've stayed at the Balcons twice. I've only had rooms with twin beds so no firsthand experience with room more appropriate for a honeymoon. I will stay there again. I agree about the breakfast. I prefer to eat at the hotel, then go back to the room to finish getting ready for the active day. I find it more relaxing. The breakfast had eggs, bacon or sausage, juice, cereal, fruit, cheese, croissants and coffee. I had rooms on the street both times. There is street noise if you leave the french doors open to the balcony. But, it didn't affect my sleeping too much. The location is great, several metro stops within a few blocks, lots of restaurants and the staff at the desk was very helpful. There was no air conditioning, but that is not needed in May - usually. I would wait to book and I would book directly from the hotel not a service.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM

We stayed at the Balcons in Sept 2002 and enjoyed it very much. It's a great location. Elaine's stay was much more recent, so you probably want to consider her report as well. If you decide to go ahead with your decision to stay there, ask for Room 601, which is the only room in the hotel with a view of the Eiffel Tower. It's only about the top half or top third of the Tower, but it's great to have that view each night when you come back from dinner. It also has a very tiny balcony (only room for one or two people to stand out there, no room to sit).

The hotel is not luxurious if that's what you're looking for on you honeymoon, but I found it comfortable, and we were there for eight nights.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

I received an email back from the hotel and got quoted 180 euro for a double. I thought their rates were much lower than that. I guess it's out of our price range now.. (we're paying for all our of our wedding .. so we have to stay under 150 euro for hotel per night). Thanks for the other suggestions.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM

That quote sounds much too high for that hotel, perhaps there's an error, or they offered you a suite or something?

Anyway, here's another hotel that gets lots of good marks here, and at tripadvisor.com

www.hotel-collegedefrance.com

and the one I mentioned above, a couple of doors down from the Balcons--
www.hoteldelavigne.com
In this hotel, some of the doubles I saw had charming decor but were quite small, you might want to inquire about a price for a larger room.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM

I agree, that quote seems high for this hotel. Maybe we aren't talking about the same one. I was there less than 2 years ago and less than 100 euros for a double. I can't believe they have gone up that much. This is the url for the hotel I stayed at:
http://paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/