Hotel Danube or Balcons?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Sha

Hotel Danube or Balcons?

We're two sisters trying to make a final decision about our Paris hotel in April. Both of these hotels have 2 twins for around 100 euros without breakfast; located in 6e; good reviews. Any first-hand experiences at both?

Thank you!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:26 PM
c

Hi, we stayed at the Danube about 2 years ago..and we were quite happy with it.The room was a large one , they are very helpful at the desk, it is in a great area, off of the Blvd St Germain.Just a short walk to the Dorsay,Louvre..so much, anyway-it is a good hotel and a great area.Have fun~

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:13 PM
Joy

To c: Do you know if the Danube has air-conditioning? We'll be in Paris mid-June. Thanks.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM
sandra

Hi
I spent 3 weeks at the danube last april and we had a great time, the staff was great and room was huge, twin room facing street. We were there from the 10th of april till end of Month , at this time we still needed the heat. They have no air conditioning. Last year right after we left there was a terrible heat wave in Paris in the 80's. I will be returning to Paris late May of this year and will be staying at The Hotel Du Seine, we walked by it everyday on our way to rue buci. It is a lovely hotel with air conditiong, mini bar, satelite and 24 hour room service. the rate for a twin is a round 177 euros no breakfast. I would suggest this hotel for warmer months and the danube for cooler times

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:27 PM
c

Hi, we stayed at the Danube in November, so a/c was not important. There is a book by Fodors called Fodors Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris..there is a photo of a room and a bit about the hotel.The Hotel de Seine is indeed a charming hotel although I did not know that they have a/c.The Hotel de l'Universite on rue de l'Universite-which is only a couple of blocks from the Danube is very charming, has a/c and I believe their rates are comparable..so you might want to look into that.Good Luck~C

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:50 PM
Mina

Hey there...

I stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons in Sept 2000. It was really cute. Very tiny tiny elevator, so keep that in mind if you have tons of luggage (which I would strongly advise against anyway). It's a spiraling staircase, and is a good workout! I'd ask for a room on a higher floor, on the side of the hotel with the balconies (if I recall, only one side of the hotel does have balconies).

When I was there, the bathrooms had no showers...only bathtubs! The partition separating the bathtub from the rest of the bathroom is small, so there'd be water all over the place if there was a shower. But I enjoyed being forced to take a bath...it was relaxing. There is a showerhead-hose-thingabobbie attached to the faucet to make washing hair and such easier.

The breakfast area is cute, and the location is good. I recall the breakfast being an excellent value as well. The rooms were clean, simple, and serviceable. Small, as many hotel rooms are...two twin beds smooshed together. All in all, charming...I'd stay there again.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:29 AM
lisa

I stayed at the Balcons in late May of last year and enjoyed it very much, but it does not have air conditioning, and for that reason I would not recommend staying there in mid-June. I'm going back again this year over Memorial Day week and am looking at several other hotels in that area of the 6th with A/C, including Le Clement (2-star w/ dbl. rooms starting at 105 Euros), and Hotel Eugenie (2-star with dbl. rooms starting at 112 Euros). I have not stayed at either one myself, but you might want to check them out.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Sha

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. We're splitting our time in Paris so we'll be staying at both hotels during our trip. I'll offer up my opinions when I get back. Thanks again!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Sha

Here's our Paris hotel report:

We started at the Danube and found a comfortable twin room on the courtyard side for 106 euros. We were quite happy with our quiet room, large bathroom (with tub, shower and curtain), small table and chairs, etc... Our room was about the cheapest standard room, so the decor was plain and hardly memorable, but we had a nice beamed ceiling, good light from the two windows and a spacious bathroom. I snuck a peek at the superior rooms, and the linens and drapes were nicer. The service was courteous and efficient during the day, and Francois was an interesting person to chat with at night while I checked my email. An excellent location near the river for walking to the Louvre, D'Orsay and other sites.

A couple of steps south, right next to the luxembourg gardens, was the Balcons. The hotel felt more like a dorm or pension, rather than the small boutique atmosphere of the Danube. But we paid 90 euros for this twin room, and this included the VAT, and we left satisfied. The room was very small, with little space between the beds and the walls, and the wall-to-wall dresser. The bathroom was tiny, with only a hand-held shower and no shower curtain, so water got everywhere, no matter how careful you bathed. I was nicely scolded once by the night clerk because I had called after midnight to request a wakeup call. He said that I should call earlier because wouldn't always be at the desk so late at night. Still, the reception was nice and helpful, if less polished than at the Danube. We ate at great restaurants nearby and walked or metroed to everything else. One nice perk - we weren't charged for several local phone calls we made. (We had difficulty connecting at the Danube several times, and were charged for each call.)

So, that about sums it up. You'll notice a difference between the two hotels, maybe a 16 euro difference, maybe not. We split our room costs, so we each paid 8 euros more for the room at the Danube, and I think it was worth it. The shower curtain,large bathroom, and Internet access was worth it to us. It seems to have been better to be at the bottom of the Danube, rather than mid-range at the Balcons. We're budget-conscious backpackers, but the greater value seems to have been the Danube.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the earlier tips. Cheers!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Kathy

Sha, Great hotel report! We have friends who will only stay at Grand Hotel Des Balcons-they would rather spend their money on fancy restaurant meals. I have looked at their rooms, and have to say they are too small and sterile for me- more like a "dorm room". I have never stayed at the Danube, but know it's very popular. Welcome Home!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Greg

Does anyone know whether Hotel du Danube has a website? Also, any recommendations as to whether its a good choice for a family of 4 (2 kids)

Thanks

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
kate

When I stayed there , I saw a family with two young children. It is a very nice, comfortable hotel, the staff is extremely nice ane helpful. I would think that it would be nice to stay in with small children.
There is a small photo of their lobby in Fodors Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris.
It has a small nice lobby, glass doors out to the courtyard, a colorful (Provencal print)sitting room, a wacky elevator because the hotel is made up of two buildings so there are 1/2 floors The room we had was looking out over the courtyard, two very big windows, a chandelier, antique furniture, a modern French bathroom, meaning no washcloth and no shower curtain , but we managed just fine!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:30 PM
brad

ttt

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Maribel

Greg,
The web site is
www.hoteldanube.fr
Severin is very prompt in answering email inquiries and questions about size/amenities of their rooms. We also saw families with young children when staying there last spring. Severin and Francois (the night clerk) are helpful, nice, accomodating. I'm sure that your family would feel comfortable there.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:11 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:22 AM
pj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Those who love the Danube, are you talking about the superior room, or is the standard room very nice, also?
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Hi Grandmere,
The time we stayed at the Danub, the room was a superior. Because the price was so reasonable, we asked for the largest room for two on the courtyard.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 05:56 PM

Hi.

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel de Balcons last May. The rooms as stated above are very, very small. We barely had room to walk around. No closet space to speak of either. We were there for 3 nights and that was a real problem. No shower except for a hand held shower head, and no curtain. Water everywhere. While it was in a good location, we will not choose to stay there again. No air conditioning either. Hope this helps.