Reload this Page >

Hotel du Danube, Hotel le Regent, or Hotel de Fleurie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:55 PM
cheri

Which of the above hotels would you recommend? This will be my first time in Paris.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:34 PM
alison

Cheri,<BR>My family and I will be visiting Paris this year also. Anyway, I was considering Hotel du Danube and Hotel de Fleurie also. I'm not sure how many are in your group but we wanted a triple room. Hotel du Danube offered a 2 room apartment for 200 Euros/night and Hotel de Fleurie was offering a family room but for 340+ Euros/night. Unfortunately, those prices were way over our budget and we are staying at the Abbatial st Germain. However, if money was no object I would have chosen Hotel de Fleurie. Both hotels get excellent reviews, but I believe Hotel de Fleurie comes out a little more ahead than the Hotel du Danube.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:35 PM
judie

Going to Paris this week. Staying at Hotel Danube. Keep me email address and<BR>email after May 14th,I'll let you know.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:34 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>If you do a search here on each of those hotels you will find many past comments. Here are a few, I've not stayed in the hotels.<BR>Re Danube, I've read that it is very charming in decor, rooms small,no a/c.<BR>Fodor's forum April 2002: "We recently spent 9 days in Paris, 5 at the Danube and 4 at a more plush, "splurge" hotel just a few blocks away. For us too, the Danube staff was delightful. I had emailed Severin several times about room selection and restaurant reservations, and he always responded prompty, eagerly, in perfect English and in great detail. He recommended rm 15 to us, after describing several: the very large twin with renovated marble bath on the 4th fl. facing the street, the one in the picture with salmon wallpaper, floral bedspreads and headboards in matching fabric. When he couldn't secure a few restaurant reservations, he made adjustments from our "alternate list" and emailed me prompty about each and every one-the service of a very efficient concierge at a 4 star hotel, although our rm only cost 130 euros per night with VAT. We gave Nicolette (?), the female day clerk, our laundry/dry cleaning at 9 a.m., and she returned it to us that very evening, elegantly folded and boxed. Genuinely nice and accomodating folks. It's the kind of place, comfortable like an old shoe, that one could settle in to for several weeks or even a month. The kind staff (plus fabulous location on the rue Jacob and good value rates) really makes this hotel a fine, moderate choice."<BR><BR>Le Regent, I've read that standard rooms are very small, deluxe rooms are larger. Has a/c. Fodor's forum 2000:<BR>"It is a nice place, one of the few places that can guarantee you the size of the room. We<BR>opted for their larger deluxe room. The neighborhood is my favorite in the Left Bank (in Paris for that matter). There are even two laundromats within about a block of the hotel, if that becomes an issue. It is perhaps a slightly noisy street, but Le Regent is air conditioned and has double paned windows so that shouldn't be a problem. Contintental breakfast was a nice assortment of foods in the lower level with cave-like exposed stone walls. Employees are lovely, speak English and were most informative in answering questions. For the price, I highly recommend it."<BR>Le Fleurie: Frommers.com message board June 2001<BR>"Hotel le Fleurie on Gregoire be Tours in the 6th is a truly wonderful small hotel - complete with charm, friendly helpful staff, comfy beds, the softest towels, AC, TV, English papers, a good cold buffet breakfast, modern baths, adequate sized rooms, reasonable prices and a FANTASTIC location a few steps off Blvd. St German, about halfway between the metros Odeon and Mabillon and within easy walking distance to Place St Michael and Note Dame (not to mention 2 blocks from Cafe Deux Magots and Flore). A true winner."<BR><BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Tony

We are staying at the Hotel Danube the last week in May in a two bedroom "apartment" at 200 Euro per night. We picked it because of a recommendation of a friend of a friend who has stayed there 20 years in a row. I'll report back but I would say at this point that Severin has been most helpful and accomodating.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:07 PM
sandra

My vote does for the Danube we stayed there last April for 3 weeks and we loved it. Great location, great staff, and that franciose what a sweetheart.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:43 PM
cheri

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to stay at the Hotel du Danube!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:12 PM
topper

ttt

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Kathy

I would strongly consider renting an apartment for a week if I were taking a FAMILY to paris. You can get one in any arrondisement. I found many to choose from. I will be going in 2 weeks and staying in the 7th arrondisement with a view of the Eiffel tower FROM THE LIVING ROOM of our apartment. WOW. I'm excited. I chose an apartment because it will be getting dark earlier than in the summer and I'm traveling with my elderly mother. I don't think we will be out much once it gets dark and I can't see being holed up in even a NICE hotel every evening. Will post my trip on my return. This apartment is $205 per night and really looks lovely.<BR><BR>That said, I have stayed at the Fleurie and it was a lovely little hotel in a perfect area. BUT, I think the price is high, $150 per night. For $50 more per night I am getting 6 times the real estate in the apartment. <BR>However, I can honestly say the Hotel de Fleurie was a godsend for my husband and I on our first venture into Paris. Breakfast was easy, (altho not inexpensive) and pleasantly presented in a really darling cellar breakfast room. We looked forward to it every day as our EASIEST meal. (we don't speak french and my husband learned how to say our room number in French)You step out of your hotel right in the heart of St. Germaine with a very handy metro station nearly across the street. (Odeon) The room we had (number 52) was rather small, but clean. We felt very safe. Great mexican restaurant across the street on St. Germain Blvd that served Margeritas. ooh la la.<BR>Kathy

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
pj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Would you choose somewhere else because the Danube has no a/c? We were planning to stay there one last night before we come home. The 6th area looks appealing, and I like the price, but the fact that there is no a/c in July has me worried.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:09 PM

This has been discussed many times. I would personally never book a hotel in Paris without air in July. Although it is possible you may not need it, it can be unbearable if you do. Don't forget most rooms won't have any cross ventilation, so an open window is not going to accomplish a thing except let in all the late night and early morning noise making it harder to sleep. It has been suggested that you can buy a cheap fan, or some hotels may even have a fan you can borrow. But frankly blowing already warm and humid air at me is still not my idea of comfort.<BR><BR>At that price level, I'd suggest you stick with a hotel that does have air-conditioning.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Regarding Hotel du Danube I just returned from 2 nights there. I have to admit that I didn't care for this hotel. First of all, the young lady at reception during the day and part of the early nighttime, is very unpleasant and unapproachable.
I booked the 2 room apartment which was okay but a bit stuffy so even with the cold weather I felt the need to open up the window for some fresh air.
The bathroom was as small as a ship's bathroom, claustrophobic and tiny. The fixtures are okay but are in need of modernization. There is no facial tissues provided and no soap dish both at the sink and in the shower. There was a shower curtain though.
I stayed here after staying at Verneuil and was disappointed. I preferred Verneuil's modern bath, lovely reception staff, and amenities.
For sure do not stay at Danube in summer because you really will die of heat. If it's stuffy in wintertime I'd hate to think what it feels like during a heatwave.
I passed Le Regent and got a brochure and I would not mind staying there. The girl at reception was welcoming to me and it just seems much nicer than Danube. I didn't go visit any rooms but from what I read here, I'd say it's alot nicer than Danube. Danube is good for the low cost and location.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM

wren, just click on my name and you will see all of the threads I started on the issue of July in Paris with no air conditioning. I have to say I've been convinced on this topic, and now I'm just looking for the best deal in a reasonable area.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Having spent about 20 nights in three visits at Le Regent, I'm still convinced it is one of the best deals in that wonderful area. I only booked the deluxe (large rooms) as the standard ones are quite small. But the fact that all the deluxe rooms have air, large nice baths, big windows for lots of light, and very nice furnishings and decor I still thing it's a great value. I've never done breakfast there, though. Why would I when there are several cafes within a block and the wonderful Paul among them?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I know several people who love the Danube--but not in the summer months. You really need a hotel with a/c at that time or you will swelter. Since not all places you might want to visit have a/c, it's vital, IMO, to have it to come home to.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM

I hesitate to ask, but, was it a mistake to book du Danube for the last week of September when the average daily high has been in the mid-60's?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Paris within the past week was in the 30's and 40's. When I checked into the Danube, the radiator in the room was set on &quot;5&quot;-midway. It was very warm and uncomfortable and I turned it off and kept it off for the two nights I was there. And I never felt cold at all. I even opened the window a few times as it was stuffy.
I would think you may need a place with a/c instead. I feel the Danube will be too uncomfortable with 60 degree weather much more with a heatwave.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Beachbum...the heat will not be on in Late September..and the weather shouldn't be that hot.

This past Oct. was our first time at the danube...we have stayed at the Verneiul , Angleterre, and Millesime..we love Rue JAcob area.

The Verneuil staff was very kind in our 3 stays there but the rooms while lovely are so SMALL! The Angleterre where we stayed 4 times is a little austere in staff presence and the rooms can vary and it just does not do &quot;it&quot; for us anymore.

We do love the superior rooms at the Millesime..but the price difference from them to the danube pays for a dinner every night! We booked the superior streetside , the room was large the bath moderate. The staff was more than welcoming. I did read a previous posters remarks about the girl at the desk being unpleasant...unless it was a differnet girl we found her very charming..she is totally French and takes about a day to warm up and become friendly.She does her job...she is not paid to be your friend Personally I can't think of a job I'd hate worse that being on a hotel reception desk where I only understood half of what one was saying and being asked impossible questions. I was standing there one afternoon when someone was asking her if the food was good at Taillevent and could she get them a reservation for the next night!! Right! Like she has eaten there! I guess those people didn't encounter the night clerk, Francois!!! He is a treasure !! Speaks beautiful, correct, English and is a real pleasure to know! He even went and made me a coffee when I was up at 6 AM snd the cafe next door and the news agent hadn't opened yet..and we had a lovely chat together!

I had planned on trying the Le Regent next trip, but we were so pleased at the danube for the price , that we will probably go there again. Unless the dollar keeps falling ..then I may have to switch to hostels!!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Jody, I'm not sure who the girl at Danube's reception was. I went to check-in and greeted her (with a &quot;Bonjour&quot; and not a &quot;Hello&quot but she was unfriendly. Granted she works long shifts but really the staff at the Verneuil does also but they have time for you. I mean she said nothing not even when it was time to hand over the room key. I'm not expecting her to be my friend at all but if you get the cold shoulder from a staff member, it can really make you feel unwelcome.
Maybe the girl you know is Marie. I don't know who that girl was at the desk but I had email correspondences with a Marie and an Estelle and Marie just came across as being very welcoming from her emails while Estelle just reported the basic information I required. All I saw was the one unfriendly girl two days in succession so I'm not sure if she was tired from her long shifts.
I don't know who is Francois as there was a young man at reception during the late night but he at least had a smile. One morning there was a middle-aged man at reception and I'm not sure if he's Francois or Severin but he spoke perfect English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -