Hotel Claude Bernard

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:28 PM
noa
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Claude Bernard

We have spent 3 nights in Claude Bernard at the end of August. A quadruple room was 188 euros + 1 euro/person tax, without breakfast (which was 9 euros, gratis for children, but was not charged to us after all). The hotel is located in a quiet area just behind the Sorbonne, rue des Ecoles is quiet enough at night (I am a light sleeper, the room was on the 2nd floor and I slept well). Also the hotel was quiet, I heard nobody in the coridor or from other rooms at night. It is 5 minutes from metro Cluny La Sorbonne and the RER station (line B) on Boulevard Saint Germain.
There is a nice bakery (boulangerie-patisserie). The hotel elevator is the tiniest thing I've seen in my life, but it serves its purpose. The quadruple room was very spacious (by parisian standards), the beds were OK, the bathroom newly renovated and OK. There is a heater, an A/C and a fridge in the room. The stuff was nice, especially a pollack Monsieur at the breakfast area. The breakfast was typically french, croissants, baguettes, honey, jam, butter, cheese, coffee, orange jus, milk, cacao, self service.
The hotel is really centrally located, in a walking distance from la Sorbonne, le Pantheon, le Jardin du Luxembourg, Saint Sulpice (Da Vinci Code!!), the entire Saint Germain area (with the wonderfull rue Buci and rue St Andre des Arts), Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, Hotel de Ville, Louvre...
All in all, we were very pleased with the hotel and would like to stay there again.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Glad your hotel choice worked out, thanks for posting!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Your comments on the Claude Bernard remind me of similar comments that date back to when "Europe on $5 A Day" was doable. Happy to see most if not all of those old observations and recommendations still hold.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM

That's a good rate and I'm glad to know your stay was excellent. The hotel was not given good reviews a few years ago by Sandra Gustafson who writes the Great Sleeps Paris series.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:04 AM

I stayed at Claude Bernard on my first (solo) trip to Paris almost two years ago. It was part of gotoday.com's package and the only hotel choice that I found in a guide book. It was perfectly lovely and by the second day, the man in the restaurant knew that I liked cafe au lait instead of cafe and practically hugged me good-bye on my last morning. The front desk staff was wonderful too: pointing me in the correct direction each morning when I left and getting and suggesting dinner reservations.

Loved that elevator!