Hotel/apartment help starting with Venice in June for 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a family trip to Italy in June. We have airline reservations-flying in to Venice on June 18 and flying out of Rome on June 28. I am reading many of these posts, looking at books and looking on the computer at hotels, etc but they all seem to start running together. So...looking for suggestions for Venice to start with. Will come back for Florence and Rome. We are a family of 5-3 older kids-17,20,22. We are planning 3 nights in Venice. I don't want one room for 5 of us but am willing to do 2 rooms. Not sure about an apartment for that stop but if that is the best option will look at that also. You all are the experts. Per room we are thinking about a max of 250-300 euros ( but can be flexible if we need to be)
Suggestions please!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM

We stayed for 3 nights at the Ca' Foscolo Apartment last October. We had an apartment with two bedrooms and two baths, plus a small kitchen and living room.

It had a central location and was close to very nice restaurants and about halfway to the Rialto and St. Marks.

The place wasn't overly fancy, but very nice, and very clean. The owner was also very helpful with maps and suggestions.

http://www.cafoscolo.com/eng/residence.html
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Looked at the apartment and if the pictures, etc are accurate it may be a great place for us. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Take a look at:

http://veniceapartments.org/html/venice_apartments.html

http://www.cortegrimani.com/en/index.htm

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

All 3 of these sites have places and are close in price. Number of bathrooms vary, etc. The venice apartment site I am looking at is the Gritti. Any other opinions--Do the web sites show well?
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions--I booked the Ca' Foscolo Apartment -from the web site my kids all thought it looked good. One bathroom but we will make it do for 5 of us. Any suggestions for the place? is it easy to find since my girls will be arriving around 6 by the time they get out of the airport, etc. Next...Florence for 2 nights...any suggestions and can you do Florence on a Sunday, Monday...reading,etc but not sure about closures, etc.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

We too will be spending about 3-4 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Florence, and 4 nights in Rome.
Our budget is a bit tighter (as we will be away for three months) and we were hoping to stay under 100 Euros each night for the room. Do you think this is possible, if not, how much do you think we would need to spend in Venice / Florence & Rome to get somewhere nice (atmospheric and central, not necessarily upscale).
Thanks, Lissa
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Hope you enjoy Ca' Foscolo. You had asked is it easy to find. It really wasn't easy for us the first day - but then again nothing was in Venice.

We joke that the apartment was 10 minutes away from the Rialto the first day, only 5 minutes away the second day and about 1 minute by the time we left.

Be prepared to do a little wandering when you first get there, but don't worry - it's part of the adventure!
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM

We stayed for nine weeks in Venice in an apartment in Dorsoduro and it was lovely. Arrived early December, left in early Feb '09.
For your kids, take a look at the thread I started called http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-teenagers.cfm. It's a sort of treasure hunt. Also if you search for "Impressions of Venice" you might get a flavour of what it is like. It's awfully long, not really a trip report, just my written rambling.

You might consider taking two apartments in the one building - try http://realvenicevacationflats.com/, which is where we stayed. I'd advise staying as long as you can in Venice - it's magic. The apartment was really easy to find, costs about 800 Euro per week. That's cheap - 115 a night, and you save money by being able to cook. Ten minutes walk to San Marco, ten minutes to the Rialto. The web site describes the apartments accurately, and the owner lives in San Francisco, and mailed us the keys. It was all too easy.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM

In 2005 my sister and I stayed at

http://www.knowital.com/veneto/venic...partment1.html

It was very nice, clean, centrally located, and a good price.
The owners were so nice. The uncle met us at the corner bar, bought us a glass of wine, walked us to apt. and gave us the keys. Inside the frig was a bottle of Prosecco from their family stock. INCREDIBLE !!!!

I know I will stay there again next time in Venice. Hopefully