Day trip to Bayeux via Paris - Bus tour?

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Day trip to Bayeux via Paris - Bus tour?

We are going to be in Paris in late May, and would like to take a daytrip to Bayeux... I *really* want to see the Tapestry. I'm sure it would be relatively easy to take the train and do a self-guided tour ourselves, but does anyone know of a bus tour like Grayline, etc. that would provide a guided tour to Bayeux, and of the tapestry? We enjoy those kind of guided tours and the comfort that the bus journey provides.

If we end up doing it ourselves, we'll probably spend the whole day in Bayeux, so restaurant recs would be welcome.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

See, I didn't check my title, and it says "Bayeux via Paris"!! I didn't want to say that... I meant from Paris. duh.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Can't help you with the bus tour, as we've always gone on our own, but I can recommend Le Petit Normand for lunch.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

bump!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM

The only tours of the tapestry proper (that I know of) are audioguides that are included in the admission price.

But as you intuited, taking the train to Bayeux is brain-dead simple, and the tapestry museum is about ten minutes walk from the station.

If you're a seafood fan, a short ride to the coast at Port-en-Bessin will be well worth the trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM

For a day-trip to see the tapestry, just take the train. Bayeaux's train station is a little bit out from town. Not too far to walk but snagging a taxi might be nice. I don't think that a guide is necessary, once inside the viewing of the tapsetry is paced by the crowd and their audio-sets. Bayeaux's cathredral is near the tapestry and might be worth swinging by.