Hotel Anastasia -Venice,Alba Hotel -Florence,Residenza dei Quiriti -Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These three hotels were recommended to my husband and I by a travel agent. We are not looking for anything fancy, just clean and comfortable. Has anyone stayed in any of these? Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM

I've never stayed at any of these, but can offer some comments on their locations.

Hotel Anastasia, Venice: This is very well-located, maybe a five-minute walk from Piazza San Marco. I've considered staying here because it is in the center of things, yet removed on a small piazza off the main street.

Alba Hotel, Florence: Not quite central but not too far away either, just west of the train station.

Residenza dei Quiriti, Rome: This location is Prati, a residential neighborhood near the Vatican. Many would say to find something in the old center, but you might enjoy this less touristy (though also less charming) location. 10-15 minutes walk to the Vatican, longer to most major sites all located across the river.

Have you read any reviews for these at tripadvisor.com? Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem, I appreciate the feedback.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM

From what tripadvisor says, the Venice hotel may be a real find. The other 2 are so-so. I'd consider something with a better locaito in Rome (Navona/Pantheon area).
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I LOVED the Alba hotel in Florence. I spent a month there this summer...and out of my hotels in Rome, Milan, Venice and Florence, this one was by far the best. I went the cheapest route possible my who trip, and I was very impressed with this hotel for the cheap rate I paid. The breakfast has much more options than any of the others, the room and bed was bigger, and bathroom was new and clean, the room was cleaned well each day and the hotels were replenished, there was even a minibar ( I highly reccommend the chocolate bar!) Granted, it isn't really close to anything but the train stations, but it was still very much within walking distance to everything. The elevator is kind of small...if you plan on bringing large luggage. They have a dry cleaning service, if you leave your clothes on the bed...but it is quite pricey. There are two nice little restaurants near by...if you go out the hotel and turn right, down at the corner across the street is a nice place to have lunch...nothing too fancy, like of like a deli. If you turn left outside the hotel, just about a block is a restaurant that offers seating outside, they have the best four cheese gnocchi. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

traceann01, thank you very much for the feedback on Hotel Alba. We are very excited about it now. It sounds like you spent a lot of time in Florence. We have 2 and 1/2 days. We plan on making reservations to see the museums. Other than that we were going to walk around on our own instead of taking a tour. Do you agree?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:06 AM

lkcitaly,
Yes, get a good guide book and wander. Go into any church with an open door.

I've been to Florence many times, but in October visited the Museum of Science for the first time. It was very interesting, full of scientific instruments through the ages, some belonging to Galileo. It makes a nice break if you get tired of Renaissance art.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

ellenem,

Thanks for the info. Have you spent time in Rome as well? We are wondering if we need to book all the tours our travel agent is suggesting (they are somewhat pricey) or if we will be ok walking around and going through the Coloseum, Vatican, Forum, etc...on our own. Should we have reservations for any of these places?
Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Many here recommend the Scala Reale tours and the special Scavi tour at St Peter's. It depends on how much information you want versus how much time you want to spend attached to a tour. Check with the tour companies about the size of the group as well.

For me, I've studied much of the art and architecture, so I'm happy wandering on my own, dipping into my Michelin green guide for any info I need.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Anastasia. It was clean and well-located. We had 2 nicely-decorated rooms, neither very big but one was VERY small. Still, the people were nice and the price included breakfast. I'd stay there again if I were ever to go to Venice (though, to be honest, Venice is the only foreign city I've ever NOT liked).