Hotel/activities for mother-daughter trip to Prague in July

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all
Last year when I was planning for a trip to Prague with my husband most of you suggested a hotel in Kampa island. Unfortunately we cancelled our trip due to a familial health emergency. This year, I am planning a 5 nights trip to prague at the end of July for me (32 years old) and my mom (sixty, can only walk for twenty minutes at a time then has to rest). This is actually a trip for my mom's birthday so it's all about her.
-can you help with central area for hotel that would really be in the thick of things, near restaurants/cafes, maybe a supermarket, stays up late, and safe for two female travellers. My travel agent is giving me Rott hotel for 4 stars option and Ibis old city for 3 stars option.
-Activities/sights that maybe suitable for her and does not require a lot of walking
-best guided tours company.
-a restaurant/cafe with a view for a special mother-daughter lunch or dinner

and any other suggestions is welcome and very much appreciated
Thanks a lot
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Before my husband and I went on our trip to Europe, I had read an article in the travel section of our newspaper written by Betsy Beyer (sp?) She had recommended the Hotel Maximillian very highly. We took a chance and made reservations here..we were delighted..a small botique hotel, within walking distance of everything (7-10 min.) I know your mom will find that it would be most convenient for you to walk back and forth as we did (we are seniors!), My husband likes to take an afternoon nappy and I felt very safe walking by myself.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Oh, I forgot. They recommended some very good restaurants quite near the hotel. And, we booked our city tours right in the main square kiosks when we arrived in Prague. We had only three nights, then took the train to Vienna to board a river cruise..
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Hi Lol,
I'm not going to recommend anywhere specifically because I always stay a little out of it, but I just want to say that in your circumstances please be certain you are staying central to where you need to be; make no compromise. Walking in Prague can be very tiring because of the hills and cobbled streets, if mum has trouble normally then double it.

Make use of tours of course, also the great thing about Prague, is that there seem to be restaurants hidden in basements all over the place, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some close to where you decide.

Good luck

Muck
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
lol
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Glasser and Muck.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM

I stayed at the Maximilian and loved it, and thought the location was perfect. It's not right on the Old Town Square, but just a few short blocks away.

Kampa Park restaurant is pricey, but great for a special occasion. It has and outdoor terrance and fabulous views of the Charles Bridge. We were loving sitting there so much we didn't want to leave.

Restaurant David in Mala Strana is also very good but no views.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi lol; Good general information on this web site. Click on the city and then 'instant' for a download on Prague. www.inyourpocket.com/ iris1745/dick
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
lol
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. Cheryll, the Maxmillian looks lovely, I asked for a quote. I also like Kampa Park restaurant, do should I ask for a riverside table?
Iris, I can't believe that I never new about these guides, they are great. Thanks so much
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Try the Adria. It's right in Wenceslas Square, within easy walking distance of the whole of the City centre. We stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Nothing madly fancy, but good value.