Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it ok for a woman to be on her own in Prague for a few nights?

Sep 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I will be going there for wok, and am thinking about staying an extra few days and nights.

Do you think I am safe there by myself?

Also, I know it is a relatively cheap city (for Europe), but do you think that I could stay there for 2 nights and 2 days for under $500 (Canadian) - including lodging and everything else?

Thanks,
Susan
Sep 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Yes, like any other European city i can think of would be. Yes $500, even Canadian can go a long way here, depending on the type of hotel you chose - tons of nice hotels half-price you'd pay in many other cities.
Sep 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I haven't been to Prague but I have an acquaintance who visited solo recently. She told me that one needs to be extra careful of the pickpockets. So generally just do what you would if you were visiting anywhere else: be aware of your surroundings.

Sep 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I have not visited Prague but when I travel solo I am particularly careful to make sure I am in a fairly good neighborhood where I can walk everywhere (restaurants, sight-seeing). 500 canadian is 345 euro, i mention only as you start working on how far your budget will take you.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hi SusanALexandra,

I was in Prague, all by myself, for four days back in July/2000 and felt totally safe.

I should point out that I got confused when booking hotels and ended up staying in a Flat in a suburb of Prague, which meant I had to ride the underground back and forth to the center of town everyday, sometimes even past 10pm. It was OK, but I would not want to stay there again; indeed, I suggest you look for a place closer to the historical center.

You will love Prague, it is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. And don't worry, you will have plenty of money, even enough to buy some Bohemian Crystal.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM

You should be perfectly fine in Prague - assumng you are used to cities and take the normal precautions. (Walking down a dark alley at 3am with that cute stranger from the bar is NOT recommended.)

Some cab drivers try to get extra fees - but if you're firm they back down. Of - if you're concerned - take a cab called by the hotel or restaurant.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM

It's a great city with a compact city center and ideal for lots of walking, with trams and a metro also convenient.
I'd suggest a hotel in Old Town or else Mala Strana, especially Mala Strana close to the Charles Bridge, as being convenient and safe.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM

I was there for 5 nights solo in July 2004 and felt totally safe. I stayed in the Old Town and so didn't need to take public transportation. I walked everywhere, even after dark. The center is quite touristy and there were lots of people out and about at least until midnight (I wasn't out past that). Have a great time, it's a wonderful city.
Sep 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I was in Prague as a solo woman July 2005. I took cabs that were arranged by the hotel, the metro and one tram and felt safe most of the time. An encounter on the Charles Bridge with someone sidling too close than necessary put me on alert. In the summer it was light until about 10P and I stayed out usually until 9P and then ordered something to eat from hotel room service. I do not mind traveling alone but I do not like eating alone in a restaurant at night. I was always mindful of my bag and those around me but no more so than in other cities. I went alone because my son was there playing lacrosse and my husband was out of town on the west coast. I was glad I went. A few days added onto your business trip will be all you will need.
Sep 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM

I sure hope it is, because I've done it a couple times, and more than a few nights. I don't think it is any less safe than any other area I've been to in Europe. I have read that there can be crime on the metro late at night, maybe more so than some other major capitals -- I think I've read a few first-hand accounts on that. I don't know, I didn't take the metro late at night to see how it felt. If you plan your hotel properly to be central, there shouldn't be any need for that. I was out to the opera late at night, but took the trams or bus instead of the metro, back to my hotel. I felt more comfortable with the above-ground, more visible environment. A lot of first-time visitors wouldn't even need to do that, but if you go to the opera and aren't staying nearby, you do need to figure that out.

You can stay in Prague for that amount with no problem, as long as you stay in a modest hotel.
Sep 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM

You'll be fine. I agree with staying in a more central location, if you are new to the city. Make sure you have a map, just in case. The worst part for me is when I get lost on some winding cobblestone streets, and can't find my way out. I've been there at least 8 times, and am almost always on my own. Have never had any problems there, and I usually take the metro, even late at night. I know my way around, though, so that helps! Compared to places like Italy and the Netherlands, where I've also been on my own, and have been approached by some gross people, Prague is a piece of cake.
Sep 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Susan, you'll be fine. I think you'll find it very adventurous and fun to be on your own. My husband and I frequently split up for hours at a time while in a major city, and while you won't have the security of knowing someone is looking for you if you go missing, the chances are incredibly small.

I find listening to my intuition about neighborhoods and people who approach me is indispensible. If something strikes you as wrong, talk/back your way out of it.

I agree with staying in a central location, the more people the better. But I've traveled a lot, including on my own, in places that I probably wouldn't do now that I'm old enough to know better, and I find walking tall and at least ACTING like I knew where I was going (just like in the major cities of the US) kept me out of any danger.

I LOVE traveling alone. As wonderful as my husband is, there's a great sense of independence that comes from saying "I did it" on my own...I don't think you could regret staying a couple of days in a big city...only regret it if you didn't do it!

Happy Travels,

Jules
Sep 13th, 2005, 08:33 PM

I have been in Prague on my own for both business and pleasure and agree that it is quite safe; also agree that you should take the same precauations with regard to your wallet and purse that you take anyplace else. I also agree that staying down near the old town area makes the most sense in terms of access to sites and charm.

Althought Prague is inexpensive compared to many places in Europe, it would seem to me that 500 Canadian might be a bit tight for hotel, food and sightseeing, but if you limit shopping and don't take taxis, it could be doable. There are many good inexpensive restaurants. Admission to most sights is free, except the Castle.
First get your hotel set and then you will have a better idea. What hotel will you be staying at for the business portion of the trip? You should first check with them to see if they can offer a leisure rate to you for the two nights you are on you own, esp if it is a weekend. Although Prague is a big tourist destination, a business hotel may offer you a good weekend rate, or offer you a deal as you are staying 5 nights, I would definatley check first with them. Take a look at tripadvisor.com, frommers.com and click on hotels above to see a list of hotels reccomened by Fodors.
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:30 PM

With 500 CAD you can stay a week, including food and sightseeing. On which planet are you people living that you spent THAT mauch money in two days????
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Wow, 7 days in Prague on 500 Canadian; so if you say you can live in Prague on US$60 a day for food, lodging, transport and sightseeing, let me know HOW. Are there really decent hotels to be had for say $40 a night? I must be missing something...
Sep 14th, 2005, 07:28 AM

No Problem Cicerone,
I have "done" Prague serveral times for less. You pay 20€ per night including breakfast in a nice Pension. Underground ticket costs 5 Crowns. A Schnitzel and a beer about 120. (good quality!) I am by far not the smartest guy on the planet. I can do it,so you can do it too. Stay away from places where the tourists are!!
To spend $500 CAD in TWO days you have to go to certain places, where they rent their rooms by the hour...
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:09 AM

logos99 -

Not to be argumentative - I am honestly interested where you stayed for 20 Euro? How long ago and in what season? This price seems really low to me - I assume you would be staying well away from the core of Prague. I've stayed in the suburbs of Prague and I have never stayed so cheaply!

I think that the poster will likely be staying in a more central area and her budget for accomodations will likely be triple your estimate - and that's at smaller pensiones at best.
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Closest to downtown was the Agricola, Slavia or Villa Troja are an alternative. It has all been between 20-23€. No big deal. The Agricola this Feb. was the nicest place, about 10min to downtown and 20€ per night.
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM

well, I'll be argumentative. I thought that was a realistic modest budget. You certainly do not have to be on another planet to spend that amount in Prague in two days, you just have to be staying in a 3-4* hotel. I would not want to step foot into where you could stay in prague if your budget was 500 CAD a week. I assume logos knows what that translates to, which is about US$420 (US$60 a day) or 345 euro right now.

YOu certainly CAN do that, but most people would not want to.
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM

These places are nice and clean. The breakfast is absolutely o.k. You are residing on the upper floors while the restaurant is at ground level.

What more do you need??? You're giving away your money just for the illusion of luxury. Don't you think the locals feel you must be "crazy" spending your money on a room which costs more per night than many of them make a month?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO