Honeymoon in early April - suggestions?

Oct 12th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in early April - suggestions?

Hello!

My fiance and I will be traveling for our honeymoon in early April - we will have 10 days, so 8 solid days on the ground. We are looking for suggestions. We enjoy hiking, biking, museums, art, and exploring. I have spent solid time in Andalucia and the rest of Spain, so not looking to return on this trip (though I adore it!). We have also both already been to London. Though I've done Italy, I could be open to a return trip as I've only been to Florence and Rome. So far, we have considered doing some touring and biking in the Netherlands, but I am concerned that it may be a little brisk (50s F). I had also thought Croatia, though I am getting feedback that it may be difficult as much of the destinations are closed that time of year.

We are truly open to suggestions - I am just excited to introduce my fiance to traveling in Europe!
Oct 12th, 2018, 08:56 AM

As long as you are not looking to swim, I don't think April would be too early for Croatia. You would just have to choose your destinations carefully. The southern coast is very hilly (maybe you are more fit than me), but in Istria, biking is popular and less strenuous. You might want to check the weather stats there as well.
How about a slice of Sicily or Puglia?
Oct 12th, 2018, 10:02 AM

I'd look at Sicily, Pugia will be a bit closed up that early, but Sicily is open all year (I've been in Jan). Barcelona is a good one and the local area up to Narbonne but you turned down Spain. Nice maybe or the Balaeric Islands

April is too early to bike in Netherlands but there is great cycling to the north of Barcelona which will be a bit warmer.
Oct 12th, 2018, 12:16 PM

How about southern France - Avignon area- spend some days in gay Paris - April in Paris! And then take TGV train south to say French Riviera - yes water too cool but could beach a bit but Nice and area is great at that time of year. And there are some great coastal walks to take into nature and away from glitzy beach resorts - then take train or fly to Venice - great for honeymooner IMO and fly home from there. Anyway trains are great everywhere - for lots on trains check www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com.
Oct 12th, 2018, 10:38 PM

Early april in The Netherlands is a lottery as far as weather is concerned, but usually, you'll get wet and relatively cold early spring weather. The recreational biking season starts a bit later, in early may.

You might get lucky, but don't count on it. Perhaps look for a more southern destination
Oct 12th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
How about southern France - Avignon area- spend some days in gay Paris - April in Paris! And then take TGV train south to say French Riviera - yes water too cool but could beach a bit but Nice and area is great at that time of year. And there are some great coastal walks to take into nature and away from glitzy beach resorts - then take train or fly to Venice - great for honeymooner IMO and fly home from there. Anyway trains are great everywhere - for lots on trains check www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com.

GR51, near Nice, is a good spring hike along the coast, but in the foot hills of the Alpes Maritimes. Cool thing is, that by bus, you can be in Nice within the hour, and you get the beautiful hilltop villages north of Nice plus art in St Paul and Vence (Matisse!)
Oct 13th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Another great walk goes along the Littoral coastal foot path - great stretch is between Cap d'Ail train station the few miles to Monaco - well away from any development and along a pristine coastal line with signature Cote d'Azur scenery - cypress trees clinging to rocky slopes - nice place to swim too.
Oct 13th, 2018, 10:22 AM

What about the Greek isles? I'm not sure about weather in early April, but you could find out.

We were 5 nights in Santorini, in early October, and it was perfection. I kept thinking what a great place it would be for a honeymoon, because its beauty felt extraordinary and 'otherworldly' to me.

We stayed near Imerovigli at The Gold Suites, and loved it. Walking on the caldera path has stunning views and several little wine bars and restaurants to enjoy. Having breakfast on our caldera-facing patio, above the clouds, was heavenly.

We especially liked La Maison, La Maison Restaurant Santorini | Restaurant Imerovigli Santorini. It's very small, so you need reservations.

But, as any place you're considering, you need to find out about the weather and when are tourists there. I think you'd be at the very beginning of their season, which could be a good thing if the weather looks right.

I would definitely NOT stay in Fira. It was tourist central, with tacky gift shops and overpriced restaurants.
Oct 13th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Portugal?
Oct 14th, 2018, 09:19 AM

I second Portugal! We were there in April 2 years ago. Loved it, so much to see and do. Perfect weather for walking, hiking. The Rota Vincentina is fabulous. We had no trouble finding accomodation during that time in any place we visited. We spent a month there and I would go back in a flash. Very inexpensive as well compared to other European destinations.
Oct 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Portugal is a great idea! We loved Lisbon and plan to re-visit when we can explore the Algarve. And, yes, it's much less expensive than many other places.

They speak English for the most part, and we felt welcomed in Lisbon. The Hotel Avenida Palace would be wonderful for a honeymoon.
https://www.hotelavenidapalace.pt/en/hotel-overviewhtml
Oct 14th, 2018, 08:17 PM

My younger daughter and SIL flew to Barcelona, rented a car, drove to Southern france to Languedoc, staying at two castles. Chateau de Caz and one other. They loved the food, the wine, the scenery and the medieval villages. You can fly to Toulouse rather than Barcelona but the longer drive may be worth it if you like Dali, visiting Figueras and Port Ligat after a day of Gaudi in Barcelona.

If you are into ancient history, archeology and young and unadulterated nature, Turkey will meet the bill.

Couple of days in Istanbul at each end and four days in Antalya which has skiing and swimming within a few hours drive, in addition to Aspendos, Perge, Side, Termessos ruins and Manavgat and Kursunlu waterfalls. Sea temperatures will be about 64-68, somewhat the same as daytime air temps of 62-68.
This would probably the cheapest European holiday, with the depreciation of the Turkish Lira, allowing you luxury accommodation for the price of standard hotels in most other European cities.
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:59 AM

Check out my blog Time4travel4less. I have blogged some gorgeous places in Europe (mainly Italy and France). It may give you some ideas.
Oct 15th, 2018, 08:53 AM

nannahc - what do you think?
Oct 16th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Seems Hannah cannot find her thread anymore.

Search this Thread