hoffmeister or savoy?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
lisa

hoffmeister or savoy?

hoffmeister hotel or savoy to stay later this month?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
brownie

A fair question .. but let me hazard a guess ... you're going to Prague??

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
lisa

yes whoops-how about hoffmeister, palace hotel praha or radisson? savoy is booked. thx

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Julie

/we stayed at the Hoffmeister and liked it very much. It's not inexpensive but rather on a par with many european hotels--about $200-225 per night including taxes. We were there in the middle of a season/rate change so I can't say exactly. Rooms are very nice in the style of other Relais and Chateau hotels--of which this is the only one in the Czech Republic. It's in a good location, just a couple of blocks (though uphill) from the Malastanske metro station and the bridge just upriver from the Charles bridge. Easy access to Castle hill, Mala Strana sites and to old town central. While somewhat international in style and comfort it's still small and Prague charming. Wonderful breakfast buffet, sometimes featuring three types of herring and smoked salmon as well as the more traditional meats, cheeses, breads, etc. Good service. Has its own car to take you to the airport. We liked it very much.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:40 PM
lisa

are you saying it is in a good lcoation or not? you said no but sounded from context that you meant yes???thx

Apr 24th, 2002, 01:13 AM
brownie

We stayed there two weeks ago .... I think it is a matter of opinion.

Is it a good location? Err... it's a walk-able distance away from the main attractions. It's in the quiet part of mala strana where lots of embassies are and it is walking distance to prague castle. THere aren't that many restaurants around though.

To the old town and charles bridge - it is also walking distance but perhaps a 20 mins walk? IT's almost on the northern end of the city.

I wouldn't stay there again. I found the rooms to be small but comfortable. The desk staff weren't the friendliest. WE asked about a theatre that a friend of mine was performing in and he didn't know and wasn't going to bother looking up until we asked for the yellow-pages.

I didn't have breakfast there as it wasn't covered in the rate we got. Knowing PRague, we could get a really good breakfast anywhere for the $10 we would have had to pay.

We stayed in three places - Hoffmeister, Ambassador and an apartment that we stayed in 3 years ago. My vote still goes for that apartment which was bigger than either rooms. But as I said -it is a matter of choice.

For me, the apartment wchich cost $30/night offered me the same level of comfort (albeit a slightly harder bed - noticeable when you first get in) than the other two 4-star hotels.

In term of location - Hoffmeister just didn't cut it for me. But it's a slight inconvinience of a 20 mins walk back (depending on where you are walking back from).

Apr 24th, 2002, 01:14 AM
brownie

We stayed there two weeks ago .... I think it is a matter of opinion.

Is it a good location? Err... it's a walk-able distance away from the main attractions. It's in the quiet part of mala strana where lots of embassies are and it is walking distance to prague castle. THere aren't that many restaurants around though.

To the old town and charles bridge - it is also walking distance but perhaps a 20 mins walk? IT's almost on the northern end of the city.

I wouldn't stay there again. I found the rooms to be small but comfortable. The desk staff weren't the friendliest. WE asked about a theatre that a friend of mine was performing in and he didn't know and wasn't going to bother looking up until we asked for the yellow-pages.

I didn't have breakfast there as it wasn't covered in the rate we got. Knowing PRague, we could get a really good breakfast anywhere for the $10 we would have had to pay.

We stayed in three places - Hoffmeister, Ambassador and an apartment that we stayed in 3 years ago. My vote still goes for that apartment which was bigger than either rooms. But as I said -it is a matter of choice.

For me, the apartment wchich cost $30/night offered me the same level of comfort (albeit a slightly harder bed - noticeable when you first get in) than the other two 4-star hotels.

In term of location - Hoffmeister just didn't cut it for me. But it's a slight inconvenience of a 20 mins walk back (depending on where you are walking back from).

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Julie

I felt the Hoffmeister was in a good location. We tend to walk a lot in any city so I may be a poor judge. But this place is only a couple of blocks from a metro station which means it's only a couple of blocks from most everything central. We never took the metro ourselves and found the walks from the Hoffmeister to various sights just fine. There were several restaurants nearby and the hotel restaurant was fine for the first night when we were tired after our flight in. Among the better restaurants nearby were Pasha, Paffy Palac, and Voyanuv Dvur, a hotel with a nice indoor restaurant and lovely outdoor courtyard. As I said, we liked the Hoffmeister but it would be hard to argue its benefits against an apartment for $30 per night, 1/7 of the cost. If you can find that place it sounds like you should take it.

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:50 AM
lisa

Thanks- I have heard too mnay mixed on the Hoffmeister. I am planning the Palace which seems to all be positive feedback. We also looked at the Romnatik Uraka. It is a tiny cottage-type place with 6 rooms. Intriguing and highly rated but risky.