Where in Prague

Jan 7th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Lynette

Where in Prague

What is the best area to stay in Prague? Lesser Town, Castle area, downtown? Like to walk to sites but feel safe. Like to people watch too. Thanks

Jan 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Ira

Hi Lynette
Take a look at this pesione. We stayed there and loved it. It is just across the Charles Bridge from the center of town in an area of foreign embassies.

http://www.dientzenhofer.cz/

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM
mark

Lynette -
I was in Prague at the end of October and stayed at the Hotel Constans in the Mala Strana. It was located about halfway between the Castle and Charles Bridge. The hotel was near the U.S. Embassy so car traffic was minimal. I found the Mala Strana quiet - almost rural. Parts of the movie Amadeus were filmed in this area. Stare Mesto has more activity - lots of tourist and tourist hawkers - more urban - almost felt as if I was on a stage set at times. The one thing I enjoyed about being in the Mala Strana was that I crossed Charles Bridge numerous times each day - which I enjoyed. Prague is fairly compact. I wouldn't stay in the castle area - it's a bit too far from the center.

Jan 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM
crusty

Last month we stayed at the Cloister Inn. A good 3 star valus for the $. This hotel was mentioned fovorably in Fodors and in various previous threads.
http://www.cloister-inn.cz/

In the middle of everything... walk to all the sites and neighborhoods. The only public tansportation needed was to take the tram up to the castle.

I do wish they would vary their breakfasts though... every day the same stuff. Hot dogs for breakfast? go figure...

Travel tip! Use the phone in the lobby to call a cab. House staff call their cronies who charge too much. Calling from the room results in a charge to your room.

Safety was never a concern. Like to people watch.. just hang around the Charles Bridge and you'll see plenty.

Jan 18th, 2003, 03:10 PM
sharon

Lynette,
I stay in Prague a lot, and would really recommend the hotel metamorphis; its in the middle of everything, so nowhere is too far to walk to. Its website is something along the lines of www.metamorphis.cz its just behind Tyn church. e mailme if you want more info

Jan 26th, 2003, 05:54 PM
ja

I second the Cloister Inn for location and value--also nice size rooms and very clean. Do not stay in the castle area as it is too far from night time people watching and walking