Hilton-Metropole London

Sep 6th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Denise

Hilton-Metropole London

We are planning a trip to London for New Years Dec 27-Jan3. We are staying at the Hilton Metropole. Any comments on the hotel or location. Any suggestions as to the top 10 things to be sure to do. Weather and clothes hints appreciated.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Jamila

I like the Hilton London Metropole. It's across the street from the Edgware tube station. If you stay here, make sure you get the club level rooms. They have internet facilities in the room. There's a business center, pool, workout room and great restaurants. The club level rooms are very spacious. Service is awesome!

Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:24 PM
Meg

MAKE(!!!!) them give you a room as high up as possible - it's high-rise by London standards. Rooms further down have a view over the Marylebone fly-over and it's noisy, despite sound-proofing. Edgeware Rd is a bit scruffy, but it's not on the tourist track and so you aren't likely to spend time walking the area. However, there are lots of great Egyptian restaurants in the vicinity.
Hilton seem to use the Metropole as their personnel training-centre, so be prepared for glitches.
I didn't find the service as remarkable as Jamila, so perhaps I was just unlucky.
In the same area are the Hiltons Paddington and the Langham, which I personally like much better.

Oct 5th, 2002, 06:49 AM
joegodfrey

They told my wife and I that they were the biggest hotel in europe and then gave us a lousy second floor room with a view of the highway and yelling kids playing outside the door. We had to pay extra to change the room. My credit card wasn't read correctly and they told me it was invalid when it wasn't(ok, so they apologized). On 3 days out of 5 they forgot to make the beds. We ordered breakfast for 6:00am on our departure day and they forgot it. Hilton service? Never again!

Oct 5th, 2002, 01:13 PM
John H

Hi, Denise,

Actually stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights. Normally would choose a much smaller property, but was using Hilton HHonors points so decided to check this hotel out.

I had not stayed in this location before, and found it to be quite handy -- across the road from the Edgeware tube stop, with changes one stop away at Baker Street to the Jubilee and bakerloo lines. So, getting around London was quite convenient from here. Also, very close to Paddington station (5 minute walk), which provides acces to trains going to the southwest and to the Heathrow Express train.

The hotel itself was fine -- nice, modern business hotel, with pants press and coffee/tea-making facilities. Like one of the posters above, I was relegated to a 2nd floor room looking at a building underconstruction. But, given that I didn't spend lots of timein the room, that wasn't a big deal. The hotel has a nice gym, pool, steam room. On the executive floors, they provide a rather nice lounge that serves afternoon drinks and snacks as well as a rather nice continental breakfast.

Have a great trip.

John H