Reload this Page >

Moderate priced hotel in Islington area of London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Carol

There will be 3 of us travelling to London in February. We would like to stay in the Islington area. Has anyone stayed at the Thistle Islington (formerly called Thistle Kings Cross) or at the Thistle City Barbican or at the City Hotel? Can you name another one in the area? Thanks in advance, Carol

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:47 AM
morrie

I stayed at jurys london inn islington.Got a good bargain through laterooms.com We had a twin room and were very happy there.the staff is very cordial.the beds comfortable.I requested a quiet room facing the back entrance.This hotel is very often full.The hotel is next to Angel.Quite a nice area I thought.Good luck Carol

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:52 AM
me

Hi Carol,<BR>I stayed at the Thistle Kings Cross 2 years ago and found it to be a nice property. I think I was upgraded to an Executive room, though I'm not sure. I had a queen size bed in a newly renovated room. The bathroom was large and all marble, complete with towel warmers! I remember the the room had a trouser press, hi-speed internet access (for a fee), and pay per view movies. There is a restaurant (I had breakfast there--it was fine) and a bar on property. I do remember that there really weren't any daytime attractions in the immediate are, and the neighborhood was pretty quiet at night--there was a pub (Golden Lion?) down the street, a pizza place (take away) across the street, and Chinese Take Away down the street. The area is not really picturesque. the hotel struck as a businessman's hotel and I found it quite acceptable. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was 1 German tour group that stayed there also. I took the tube every day and walked about 10 minutes to the Kings Cross Underground. Would I stay there again? Sure, assuming it fit into my budget. Let me know if you have specific questions.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Beavis

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
PJM

I imagine that the Thistle changed its name from 'King's Cross' to 'Islington' in order to distance itself from the shabby, run-down area that King's Cross is. But don't be fooled: it is still located in what is definitely one of London's more dodgy areas, especially at night. Ask any Londoner what they know about King's Cross and they will tell you: prostitutes and kerb-crawling. That may seem a bit harsh, and billions are now being spent on regenerating the area, but if I was coming to London and ended up staying in King's Cross I would be very disappointed.<BR><BR>You should aim more for the centre of Islington which is a much more pleasant part of town. Jury's London Inn is fine and is very near Angel tube station, or there is the Islington Hilton which is very conveniently located for all the restaurants, shops and bars on Upper Street (the main thoroughfare).

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:14 AM
david west

Another voice saying avoid the thistle, its about 5 minutes from the main drug dealing area of Kings Cross, and I wouldn't want to stay there.<BR><BR>