Hiking at Lake Como

May 5th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Ken

Hiking at Lake Como

We are looking for relatively easy day hikes of about 5-6 miles around the area of Lake Como. Does anyone have some to recommend?

May 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
cjswanson

Just returned from the Lake Como area last week, Varenna is a lovely town to hike around. If you have a car, drive towards St Moritz( 40 miles or so), the Alps around Soglio are by far the nicest hiking experience I have had to date. You can hike to several old villages in three to four hours time.

May 6th, 2002, 09:56 AM
mm

I stayed at the Hotel dulac in Bellagio at Como last fall and they had a brochure that charted some walks around the hills of Bellagio...I did a few and it was fun, hiking through the small "villages", through the woods, on steep paths, VERY steep!. But I could eat guilt-free afterwards! I'm sure your hotel has these brochures.

May 6th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Ellen

Take the funicular to Brunate (5 minutes upward). From there you can hike about an hour & 1/2 uphill (shady)to the lookout. Climb the spiral staircase to the top and you will be rewarded with a fantastic view of lake como and the italian and swiss alps. On the way down, about 1/4 to 1/2 way on the right is a little restaurant. Forgot the name but the building (looks like a green house and the owner looks like Caesar Romero). The best meal we had in 18 days in Italy. Lots of wine and biscotti dipped in dessert wine made the rest of the trip down the mountain painless ;-)

May 16th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Nancy

Hi Ellen,

Where is Brunate?

Sounds like a great day trip.

Thanks,

Nancy

May 20th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Ken Docter

Thanks all. We are on our way, and will take advantage of your advise.

May 20th, 2002, 01:56 PM
gab

Though I'm not sure I'd classify it as a hike, the fortifications on the grounds of Villa d'Este in Cernobbio are fascinating to explore.

May 20th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Ellen

Not sure how to explain how to get to the funicular to Brunate, but it was within walking distance from our hotel which was right across from the ferries to Bellagio. I think we stayed at the Palace or something in Como. Didn't like the hotel, but the view of the lake was amazing. Your concierge could probably help you out.