Lake Como

Apr 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Lake Como

Ive been blown away from the pictures Ive seen of Lake Como! My friend Sarah and I are 17 and 18. Sarah wants to make sure there are people our age on lake Como and stuff to do. Basically I want to know if any of you who have been to Lake Como would recommend it for us? What is there to do over there? Any great hiking trails? Where to stay? Im a nature lover and want to go to the most beautiful part of Lake Como if we decide to go. We are heading down from Interlaken Switzerland.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Searh Lake Como and Bellagio and I think you will find some entries. We didn't see a ton of young folks your age on two trips there but it's definitely gorgeous country and well worth visiting -- you might browse one of the Let's Go guides to see what they say for your age group.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Sorry, SEARCH Lake Como and Bellagio on the site, also Varenna.
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely check out The Lets Go guides! Verrena looks amazing maybe I should stay there. I found this place called Villa Cipressi would anyone out there recommend it?
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM

There are several hiking trails around Lake Como. There is a book available about the hiking trails (a thin book) - it is published in the UK, possibly by Sunflower. If you are really into hiking, then from the northwestern side of the lake there is a hiking trip up thru a mountain pass into Switzerland.

If you really want to meet people your age, then there is a hostel in Menaggio.

Varenna definitely has the feel of a small Italian town (a nice place to stay). I have seen the reception area/lobby at Villa Cipresi - it too would be a nice place to stay.

In general the scenery and the lake itself are the attractions at Lake Como. I have never heard many comments about the club scene there. Your travel partner should accept this.
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM

If you want a special treat, have lunch at Villa d'Este. It's on the west side of the lake, and you can get to it by boat. It's an absolutely gorgeous 5* hotel, but if you can get there for lunch and to enjoy the grounds, it would be a highlight!
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM

>Any great hiking trails?<

Here you go...
http://tinyurl.com/ypw7pq
Apr 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM
italianconcierge

Lake Como has some fabulous hikes. is you stay in Bellagio or Pescallo ( little village adjacent) you can hike around the Bellagio penninsula. Alternately, across teh lake beginning in Caddenabbia, you can hike uphill and wander through the small lake side villages to Sacro monte. Even further there is nestled in teh woods the abby of Santa Caterina ( about 2 hours in). On the east side of the lake you can begin in Varenna and hike to Fiumelatte and to the castel ruins abouve Varenna.

If you really have time and a car, behind Menaggio you can hike up to the Rifugio.

To stay in Pescallo, you can stay at La Pergola a converted convent. It is much less and with more charm than the hotels in Bellagio.

Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

Chenoa7,

My boyfriend and I will be in Interlaken, and we're trying to figure out the best way from Interlaken to Lake Como. Have you researched the bus/train routes yet? Any advice you have would be much appreciated!
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Chenoa7, I am planning on going from Verenna in Lake Como and heading to Interlaken. We are taking a train from Verenna to Interlaken that connects in Milan. Time tables say it takes 6 hours and 45 minutes. I am sure they have trips from Interlaken to Lake Como also.
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Take the ferries around to see little hamlets & villas/gardens and take lovely walks. It is hilly so I find I get a good workout. Just go adventuring and catch the ferry back. This is a very picturesque area in Italy. You will enjoy it. You now cannot drive into town but must park outside. We were advised this of the apt we are staying at this Sept. But you will be able to drop off your luggage. You won't need your car during your stay. It will be our 3rd stay. The whole place is great for hikes. You will see.