Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris with kids in October - various questions

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are bringing our kids - 2 1/2 and 6 1/2 yrs old to Paris in October. Of course, we've set a day aside for Disneyland Paris. We've been stuck to Disneyland every year since my toddler was born - only there and beaches every now and then. Before he was born, we've managed Australia and NY just fine with the eldest child. My daughter was such (and still is) a trooper. We could do a full day of sightseeing, bus tours for hours and she never gave us trouble. Now I'm quite worried - with 2 kids and all plus my toddler is unbelievably stubborn and quite wild. Hopefully we will live through this trip! I so want this for my daughter. We've already planned on giving her her own camera and travel journal right before the trip to make this even more memorable for her. I have a few questions - help please!

1. October weather. I know it will be between 14 and 8 degrees celsius. Sorry, but I live in a tropical climate all year round - what clothes should I bring for this temperature range? Would my kids need thermalwear?

2. Strollers and Versailles. I'm not planning to tour the palace but want to see explore the gardens. I need the stroller for the walk from the metro to the actual palace grounds otherwise my son - all 16kg of him - would demand to be carried. Can I bring it to Versailles? Is there a counter where I can leave it?

3. Cafes etc...My kids hate bread so no go for picnics at the park! They also hate hamburgers and pasta which is what most kiddie meals are. They actually eat mostly noodle soup. What should I do?

4. Parks. I've read that most activities will be closed in Oct. save for Wed, Sat and Sun. Would these include also the playgrounds/climbing frames? Or just the pony rides, sailboat rentals etc...? I figure most parks would be crowded on these days and would like to visit on other days but if the playgrounds are closed...

5. Louvre. I want my daughter to see the Mona Lisa. Is there anywhere my son and I can hangout in by the museum while my daughter does a quick tour?

6. Marionette shows. What's the timing for these shows? I've seen a link to a website but it's all in French! And will the puppet show scare my little one? Should we just stay outside?

7. Disneyland Paris. When is the best day to see it?

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM

What are your dates? Having experienced hot weather in late September, I presume early October could be the same. OTH, in late October, we had sleet, rain, watery sunshine. Don't get me wrong...late October is beautiful when the trees turn yellow-gold.

You might find some interesting info here:

http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibi...with-the-kids/
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The first half of October is usually still quite warm.

For noodle soup, just drop into any of the 3000 Chinese/Indochinese resaurants in Paris -- you can get an ENORMOUS noodle soup for 7€ and a more manageable one for about 4€.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We'll be there 2nd to 3rd week of October.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just one quick question/comment . . .

Whay would not eating bread have ANY bearing on whether you have picnic or not? Fruit, cheese, meats, etc etc etc -
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Zizz - I'm sure you'll have a fabulous trip to Paris. Paris is a great city for children.

Parks and playgrounds are open every day. Climbing structures, swings, etc are accessible. Special activites, such as puppet shows, pony rides, are only open on Wednesdays and weekends when French school children are out of school. Most parks are crowded on those days, but the bonus is that your children will have French friends to play with.

For October, the temperatures will vary - I packed layers for my children and that worked out perfectly. For example, long sleeved t-shirts, sweaters, fleece and windbreaker. Don't think that you'll need thermals, but my children did wear a stocking hat and mittens some nights when the temperature dipped and we were out and about.

I'm pretty sure that you can check the stroller at Versailles. Check the Versailles web site for more details.

Louvre - Go to the Medieval Louvre section. It is a series of boardwalks that surround the 12th century ruins of the Louvre (you're walking around the outside of the castle walls). Its pretty cool and uncrowded and your toddler can toddle around while you can avoid the crowds around the Mona Lisa. There is also a inside shopping mall with food court right outside the Louvre entrance where you can toddle and stroll with the 2 year old.

All major museums and many churches have small palygrounds outside, so you can have the kids run off energy before entering or just hang out with the little one while your daughter sees the attractions inside with your husband. Many metro stops have carousels outside which was a big treat for my 3 year old (cost 1 euro).

Puppet shows - Not sure of times, but my 2 year old was fine with it - not scared.

Disneyland - French/UK schoolchildren are out of school at the end of October. Not sure of dates this year, but find out and DON'T go on those dates - it is a zoo. Maybe a Parisian Foderite that is reading this can give you the dates.

I know that you love Disneyland, but I'd personally skip it - especially if you've been to the US parks. It is much, much smaller and does not have very many rides for children in your age group. I'd check out the Jardin d' Acclimatation in the Bois de Boulougne (park in Paris - accessible by metro). Very charming park, with many attractions - zoo, puppet shows, pony rides - and very fun rollercoasters, etc. for kids in your age group. My kids also loved the playgrounds in the Parc de la Villete.

Have a great trip - C

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM

The "Toussaint" school holidays for 2007 don't begin until the very final days of October for any school zone in France. So that won't be a problem.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM

The "Toussaint" school holidays for 2007 don't begin until the final days of October (i.e. October 27th to November 8th) for any school zone in France. So that won't be a problem.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

janisj, no bread = no picnic for us. Well, I would think that prepared sandwiches and salads would be the best things to bring to a picnic. My children don't really like those (unless it's fairy bread). Deli stuff and cheeses - over their dead bodies. As for meats: they do like chicken. And speaking of chicken, there is a post here on rotisserie chickens in Paris. Can someone explain this interest to me? I do like rotisserie chicken but what's up with rotisserie chicken in Paris?

I got an idea from a Wash Post article on Paris with kids. SUSHI! My kids love the stuff and I would definitely make them eat loads of it as I can't imagine eating Chinese noodle soup even in Paris. I already eat them almost everyday here back home. And I was so looking forward to eating roasted goat cheese salad again!

Parc La Villete sounds interesting. How long is the metro ride to the park?

Parisescape, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am really so excited yet anxious. DH and I were there summer last year and the experience was something else. I want my kids to see the same Paris I saw. But I'm afraid it would be dreary without the flowers and all in October? Somewhere it was described as Paris more in black and white.

Another quick October question. I remember posts here last year on "what to wear in France". I had to load up on skirts and skip the shorts and jeans. In October, can I wear my jeans? Or would this be too informal even then? Touristy looking?

And one final October question. How bad will the queues and crowd be? With the rugby finals and trade shows and fasion week etc...should I expect the worst?