Tackiest outfit seen whilst in Europe?

Sep 27th, 2001, 03:18 PM
xxx

Tackiest outfit seen whilst in Europe?

Anyone? Please describe it, and please share why this outfit was such a faux pas.

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Tacky

HAS to be the famous (infamous?) pink jogging suit with white tennis shoes . . . .

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Jean

An American woman wearing running shorts and a halter top in Cairo. Beyond faux pas, a total disregard for the local culture and religious practices.

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Vita

Not Europe, but funny anyway. This really skinny guy was walking down Connecticut Ave. in DC wearing leather chaps and no shirt first thing in the morning. I couldn't stiffle my laughter.

Sep 27th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Aileen

Yup, color blocked nylon jogging suit, tee shirt with glitter and sequin design, brand new HUGE white sneakers with trim to match jogging suit, tons of fake jewelry - in a very nice restaurant in Paris at lunchtime. She was loud (her conversation could be heard all over the room) and complained about everything. She left abruptly when some businessmen lit up. Now, I think that's why the Parisians smoke so much - to get rid of the Americans such as her.

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Notineurope

Tackiest outfit I ever saw was a pair of elastic-waist brown shorts on a very overweight woman, with black socks and white tennies, a neon-pink terry-cloth-shirt with lime green piping and bleach stains. At a nice French restaurant. Also a very LOUD person, to add insult to injury. Do I have to tell you why this was a faux pas? I never saw anyone in Europe dressed like this, ever.....

Sep 27th, 2001, 07:10 PM
johng

Does anyone remember Mike Meyers' skit on Saturday Nite Live where he does CAFEE TAWK with Linda Richman?? Well, I saw Linda's double in Ferragamo in Florence with green fingernails at least 2-inches long. She was wearing purple pants 3 sizes too small with red pumps. She had a rhinstone & denim purse bigger than my car. She was saying to the salesgirl, "Honey, I don't want the price in lira, I want in dollars CAPEESH?"

Sep 27th, 2001, 07:43 PM
xxx

It has been a while since I have been in places frequented by the tackiest Ameican tourists. So he worst I've seen have been German tourist. Fat bleached blond women wearing sundresses in towns in Greece, big sturdy woen, with chunky legs, wearing shorts in Naples.

Sep 28th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Inky

A bunch of Rick Steves Americans dressed entirely in black, muttering to their spouses 'You think they know we're American?'

Sep 28th, 2001, 05:25 AM
lisa

John G that was HYSTERICAL! Oy vey!

Sep 28th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Ess

You guys are making this up, right? I guess I'll keep traveling off-season!

Sep 28th, 2001, 05:58 AM
ohoh

His and hers matching green and black (large check/plaid) Payne Stewart knickers on middle aged couple in Venice. I've no idea of their nationality, but their shirts/whatever didn't even go with the knee pants. (I have to admit my eyes were totally drawn to those awful pants.) This was in May.

Sep 28th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Sandy

At Versailles, a tour group of Italians (all badly dressed) but one slightly overweight woman was the worst--she had on high, high heels, fishnet stockings, short black, tight skirt, tight red sweater, and a moth-eaten lacy shawl . . . and I can't even describe her hair! She looked so bad I had to take a photo of her, followed her around for 20 minutes until she got to a place with enough light (couldn't use flash). I have her picture in my album, everyone who sees it laughs.

Next worst are the Japanese tour groups who all have on stupid hats, plaid blouses with striped skirts, black socks with their sandals, and about 5 cameras hanging from around their neck.

I love people watching!

Sep 28th, 2001, 07:36 AM
nancy

one of my few regrets from our Italy trip was not taking a picture of this gentleman.
I am assuming he was italian.
We were sitting in P.della Rotonda, at the Pantheaon.
A tall man, came strolling into the piazza.
He was dressed in a white suit,white shirt half unbuttoned so we could all gaze upon his chest ,no socks, white loafers..
He had long , dark, straight hair to his shoulders , a chiseled, but not really attractive face.
He was followed by a short, plump man wearing black.

He looked like a caricture off a cover of a bodice-ripper novel.
A Fabio.

He strode into the center of the piazza, put his hands on his hips, surveyed the crowd, spoke a few words to his follower,
tossed his hair a few times, and walked off.
My freiend and I were in stitches, my poor 10 yr old daughter was sitting there saying " yeuw, ick"

I have never seen someone so caricuture -like with my own eyes!
He could have been in a Fellini movie
I am really sad I did not catch him on film.
The photo would make a good conversation piece!

Sep 28th, 2001, 08:19 AM
StCirq

This wasn't exactly tacky, but it was startling. On my very first trip to Paris I was walking through the Place du Tertre in Montmartre when I saw a tall, slim woman with a lavender skirt, matching lavender sweater, lavender hose, lavender heels, lavender purse, and lavender hair. She was walking two lavender poodles on lavender leashes.

Sep 28th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Cindy

Kennedy Center, Saturday evening performance. Middle-aged woman of plump proportions, medically endowed breasts (was there a fire sale on silicone?), run-of-the-mill cellulite on the thighs. Wearing very high red heels and a bright red low-cut dress that was the shortest dress I think I've ever seen on a woman. Even I was staring from below on the escalator wondering how much others can see when you wear a dress like that. Answer: a lot!

Sep 28th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Alexis

Well, not exactly tacky but certainly noteworthy. Our hotel in Rome was on Via del Corso which is kind of a "stroll" at night. While out walking in the evenings, my husband and I would often find ourselves walking behing a group of young Italian guys wearing the tightest freakin' jeans. I mean, I haven't seen a guy stateside in jeans that tight since 1983. Granted, they had terrific lil' behinds but still it left us shaking our heads. My husband speculated that maybe they wore them as a form of birth control because any man who squishes his marbles up like that would have to be sterile.
Whatever.

Sep 28th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Capo

John G, not only do I remember Mike Meyers' "Coffee Tawk with Linda Richman" skit, but I loved it (as well as pretty much anything else Myers has done.) Myers was on a talk show once and said he modeled "Richman" after his mother-in-law...and he also said that she found the character to be funny.

Last weekend SNL had a "Best of Mike Myers" show and they replayed the "Coffee Tawk" skit where Barbara Streisand unexpectedly showed up on the set, surprising Myers and his guest, Madonna.

Sep 28th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Alexis

Actually, Mike Myers' mother-in-law's name IS Linda Richman.

Sep 28th, 2001, 12:10 PM
john g

OMG!! I wonder if that was Mike's mother-in-law that I saw????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO