Help with this day's itinerary

May 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Help with this day's itinerary

Hi Folks,

Here I go again trying to decide and need your help. I started threads before about the zoo but this time I need help to plan a particular day's itinerary. Which would you choose? We will be going in early July.

Option 1
Windsor in the morning
Head back to Paddington Station around 2PM
Walk through Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens
Visit Kensington Palace

or

Option 2
Windsor in the morning
Head back to Paddington Station around 2PM
Take bus over to Regent's Park
Visit Queen Mary Rose Garden
Walk through park to zoo

We will be two adults, one child boy age 10 and a senior.
May 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM

Either way a very busy day and on your feet for most of it. Hope the 10 year old has the patience and the senior doens't have any walking issues. I'm not sure of the opening hours of the zoo, but would check them before deciding to do it at the end of the day.
May 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM

First I feel the zoo is a total waste of time. Surely you can do better with your time. So, by default, option one provided you drop Kensington palace.
May 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

The zoo is open until 6PM.

I just noticed a few lousy reviews on trip advisor of Kensington Palace. I didn't realize it is under renovation and they have some weird exhibit going on with rather poor lighting.

In that case, then which park is the better Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and avoid the palace or go to Rgent's Park instead?
May 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM

Hyde/Kensington is terrific -- w/o the Palace. Even w/o the renovations at the Palace, I wouldn't recommend it for a family.

Your son is just a bit old for the Princess Diana playground -- but there is enough to see/do in the parks. Including paddle boats on the Serpentine

Regents Parks is also fine and the rose garden is amazing. The zoo is the biggest attraction in the park for kids - but there are 2 or 3 playgrounds and a boating lake.

But honestly - you may not be back in London by 2PM. Windsor makes a really full 1/2 day outing. Is your son interested in legos? You could do the castle and Legoland and not do anything in central London that day.
May 2nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Just realized actually the zoo is open until 5:30 not 6PM.

We will not have a car. How do you get from Windsor to Legoland and then back to central London without a car?

Also, is either park--Kensington and/or Regents okay to do on a weekday rather than a weekend? Are the parks safe from 5-7 or 8PM? Guide books recommend to avoid at night. I assume they mean later but want to confirm.
May 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM

I'd recommend the London parks early morning. We brought our 3 young children to St James' Park about 7 or 8am many years ago after arriving in London on an overnight train. The birds and squirrels are very tame & love to be fed - they'll land on you. Fun for children of all ages, and most adults too. I think it's probably the same at the other parks as well.

Regents Park closes at 9:30. If it's open it's probably fairly safe, but keep aware and avoid any lonely spots, because you never know.
http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/r...park/about.cfm
May 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM

"How do you get from Windsor to Legoland and then back to central London without a car?"

Legoland is a short cab ride from the center of Windsor.
May 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

How much time then should we realistically expect to spend in Windsor to see the state apartments, doll house and chapel and then get back to central london?

The bus tours only allow a two hour window because then they are off to something else. How much time does the average visitor not on a bus tour spend there?
May 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM

probably about 4-4.5 hours -- 2.5-3 for the castle/St Georges/Doll House and the rest to wander around Windsor, have a bite to eat, maybe walk across the river to Eton, walk back to the train station.

Add time if you want to walk in the Great Park or shop. Add 2-3 hours if you want to include Legoland.