Final London itinerary tweaking help :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in London at 08:00, after a long transatlantic flight, so the first day is planned to be outside and moving around.

I'd just like overall feedback on if this is out of order or anything "big" I am missing. We will of course wing it, but having some sort of general plan is always helpful. Thanks in advance!

TUESDAY
Covent Garden
Harrods
Hyde Park
Chelsea
Trafalgar Square
Lion King

WEDNESDAY
Westminster Abbey ()
Buckingham Palace - changing of the guards
Eat at Ye Old Cheshire Cheese
10 Downing Street
House of Parliament ? Vergers tour
St. Paul's Cathedral
Piccadilly Circus
Dinner at Rules (Liecester Square)
Democracy

THURSDAY
Tower of London
Cabinet War Rooms (Clive Steps)
Madame Tussauds
Kensington Park/Green Park
Harvey Nichols
Thames river cruise

I think Thursday could really use some work ...
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, you've not planned your itinerary very logically.

Tuesday: Lion King is in Covent Garden, combine the two. Harrods, - do Harvey Nichols too, they're virtually next door to each other.

Wednesday: Ye Olde Cheshire is nearby St Pauls, combine the two. I'd finish with the Palace, then walk through Green Park into Piccadilly.

Thursday: Either do Harvey Nichols and Harrods on the Tuesday or today. Green Park, as suggested do on Wednesday. Tussauds, give a miss, not worth the money nor the time.

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM

It does seem as if you'll be running all over town.
The Cabinet War Rooms, Westminster Abbey, and Houses of Parliament are right next to each other. I'd put them on the same day.
I think moving around outside on your first day is a great idea. We like to pick up baguette sandwiches from a bakery and have a picnic in one of the parks (if the weather is accommodating).
Annette
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:50 AM
ChatNoir

You asked for and got very good advice on another earlier thread. However, it looks like you ignored most of it.

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:55 AM

ChatNoir - I was just going to say pretty much the same thing but you beat me to it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Airlawgirl

This is a pretty amusing post, as well! Why would someone come forward with an itinerary that almost completely ignores all the earlier good advice given on the same topic?

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I searched for the earlier post, but cannot locate it. Half the time when I search, Fodor's times out.

I did not ignore the post, I simply cannot get to it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM

If you click on your name on the top left-hand side of the screen you will get a list of everything you posted. I just did a search and I found it as posting 12.

Hope this helps.
Tracy
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, tcreath. I haven't been here long enough to discover all the ins and outs of Fodors. Ignore this post from now on.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM

No problem. I didn't realize it until I saw someone else post about the same thing. London is one of my favorite cities. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM

You have lots to do in 3 days. The best way to be sure you can fit everything you plan into your 3 days is to look at your list, consult a good map such as Streetwise London and work on grouping things geographically. You note a vergers tour at Parliament. I'm aware only of the vergers' tour of Westminster Abbey. To work on Thursday, I suggest eliminating Madame Tussauds and, in the unlikely event you have some time, visit the British Museum.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM

I have to second mamc's comment about the Brittish Museum. This museum is incredible. Its huge and its absolutely filled with interesting things. You could probably spend a whole day there, although we did it in about 2 hours by going directly to the areas that interested us the most (mainly Egyptian and Roman artifacts).

I noticed on some of your previous posts that you mention crusing the Thames. We did it and I hgihly recommend it. The cruise was only about an hour long but it gave great views (and picture moments). You could probably fit this in sometime in the evening after some of the other things around London close for the evening.

Tracy
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Andrewmac

I notice on the Thursday you are doing the Thames River Cruise.

Why not combine this with a flight on the British Airways London Eye as both are next door to each other and you can buy a combined ticket for the two.

The "flight" takes half an hour with another 40 minutes for the river cruise. Log onto www.ba-londoneye.com for detailed information on times and other attractions.