Italy -- Using Toll Roads

May 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Italy -- Using Toll Roads

We are leaving in two days for our first trip to Italy. After our stay in Rome, we plan to train from Rome to Orvieto, where we will pick up our rental car. We'll use the car to tour Tuscany and will return the car in southern Florence (as we enter the city) to avoid driving in the city itself. We'll be on the toll highway for a period of time. Any advice for using the toll roads? We plan to pay cash, so which booth should we aim for -- ie, what would the sign above the booth that takes cash look like? We've found conflicting information on the internet and I trust my fellow Fodorites! We'd like to make our trip as smooth as possible for ourselves as well as for the other travelers who will be on the highway with us! Thanks for your help.
May 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
J62

Entering use the lane marked biglietto (ticket).

Exiting, look for the lane with the picture of cash & coins.

http://www.accessitaly.com/post/Driv...ade-Tolls.aspx

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPho....html#24658803
May 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM

Hi Hiking 45,
We traveled to many countries last year while driving but in Italy from what I remember it was very obvious...something like a picture of paper money and coins above the lane you need to go through. It is quite obvious and it does widen up as you enter the toll lanes to pay so even if you slowed down momentarily it wouldn't be a problem. Everyone else is slowing down also at that point. We also always looked to go through a lane with an attendant just in case we needed to make change. Just be sure to carry paper as well as coins.

Sometimes you pick up a toll slip at the entrance to the toll roads and then pay as you leave, paying only for the distance you have driven. Other times you pay a set small amount for driving on certain roads.

By all means please do not worry about this. Tuscany is absolutely beautiful and you will only be on toll roads for very short periods, if at all.

Have a wonderful trip,
Michele
May 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM

The cash lanes are usually on the right side. As others have said, it is very easy. Don't worry.
May 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. Ciao!
May 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

PS I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks again.