Help with Rome Hotel

Mar 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Help with Rome Hotel

I am trying to figure out where to stay in Rome for my first visit...is it best to stay close to the Spanish Steps? My price range is $150-$275 USD/night...any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM

IMO, the best area to stay in is Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori. Very central, walking distance to most things, lots of wonderful restaurants, good bus connections. I can't really help with hotels, as I stay in an apartment. Do a search here for Rome Hotels and you'll get lots of info!
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I suggest near Trevi Fountain. Stayed at Accademia. Easy walk to everything except Vatican. Have a great trip.
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:44 PM
GBC

Hi wintergirl,

You need to read Rick Steves. Lots of good ideas there and many in your price range. If you don't have the book, check for it on Amazon. Also, they will have a map of Rome. Lonely Planet used to publish a packable tri-fold type. Have a great trip.
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM

In fall of 2005 we stayed at a wonderful hotel, The Hotel Suisse.

Very spacious rooms, with a designer bathroom. Breakfast in the room. A 5 minute walk up the hill to the Spanish Steps, a 5 minute walk the other way to the bottom of the Spanish Steps. 5 minutes from the Trevi Fountain. A quiet street (ask for a room in the back), with a great location.

About 7-10 minutes from the Metro, and easy walking distance to Navona/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori, but without all the hustle and bustle.

It was 150 euros. Wonderful stay, and the hotel highlight of our 3 country tour. Check out Tripadvisor for reviews.

There was a great Emelia-Romagno restaurant near the Metro that we ate at twice. Delicious zucca torteloni (sweet squash). Be there before they open, because, if they fill up, you are sent away.
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
nbujic

I like SS better than Navona/ Pantheon area.

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Another vote for Hotel Suisse. We found it very charming and quiet and loved the location. It was like staying in someone's home.
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM

Hi wintergirl. I stayed at the Hotel Dorica in September for 4 nights, and I loved it. I was absolutely delighted at when I realized just how central it was. It was close to the Forum on the one hand, but also close enough to the Trevi Fountain. Of course, I really like to walk a lot, so I'm not sure if that works for you or not. To me, the area around the Pantheon and the Spanish steps was a bit TOO crowded, but it depends on what you're comfortable with.

I was a solo woman traveler and felt perfectly safe walking around - even at night (up to a point!). There are great little restaurants close to the hotel too. I would definitely stay there again. Don't be put off by the ugly outside of the building. It's very clean and the staff was great. I think I paid $163 (130 euros) a night. I would recommend that you ask for a room AWAY from the elevator though, as that was a bit noisy. There was an internet cafe close by too, and it was about a 15 minute walk from Termini.

http://www.hoteldorica.com/en/

Have a great time!
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:37 AM

Hi wintergirl,
People have strongly differing opinions about the Spanish Steps area. IMHO, the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain are worth seeing but not necessarily staying near. But then, I'm not a shopper and don't like big crowds. I agree with SusanP. Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori area is quieter at night and has more charm, and is even more central to all major attractions.

We splurged on the Albergo del Senato on our most recent trip but for my next trip I've book the Residenza Canali which is in your price range and gets many positive reviews here and on Trip Advisor:

www.residenzacanali.com/01english.html
Jan 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'm not sure how long you are going to be there, but you might try renting an apartment. We have chosen one by Campo de Fiori- we are mostly interested in seeing the historical sites and just walking the streets, so this was the perfect central location for us. We ended up going with RealRome.com for rentals, and so far everything has gone very well. They have a variety of price ranges, so you might find something that you like.

When I was in Rome before, the area around the Pantheon was my favorite place to wander, so that is also part of why we went w/ a place near Campo de Fiori- so much is within easy walking distance! Good luck
Jan 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Try the Hotel San Carlo. They respond best to faxes, but with the fax, furnish your e-mail address and they will e-mail you. Also tell them Signora Kathleen Kelly recommended the place to you. Here is their website; don't be put off if the rates are not in your range, you can negotiate a bit with them. Alberto, Victoria and Rosanna are the concierges, and they're very friendly, helpful and fluent in English.

http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hi, we're going to Rome in March and used Tourcrafters to book air and hotels. We booked 5 days at the Hotel Regno which is right by the Spanish steps and very very close to the Pantheon and within walking distance of the major sights.

Before giving my go ahead to Nelli at tourcrafters on the hotel I looked it up on Trip Adviser and it got great reviews.

Nelli got us an awesome price on it as it usually costs twice as much as we had to pay. You may want to check with her.
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM

wintergirl:

Iíve stayed both in the area of the Spanish Steps and also close to Piazza Navona. The latter is more centrally located, and I think better for someone who is coming to Rome for the first time. From my hotel just north of Piazza Navona, I was able to walk quite easily to the Vatican, the Pantheon, Camp Fiori, Trastavere, and to the Spanish Steps.
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Um, did anyone notice that thispost is nearly a year old? Whenever I see posts like this topped, I always think it's an advertising post. Especially when they helpfully give a link to a hotel or service.
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Well, now that you mention it, I noticed that mmciaffa has only the one post, and it was to top this with a reco and links. (However, whenever I recommend anything I do try to provide a link.) Well, I guess you can never have too many recos!

BC
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Dayle - I noticed that too. Always makes me just a wee bit suspicious!
Jan 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Yep, advertising. They are doing it on other Rome Hotel posts too!
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Well! the Hotel Suisse!! What memories that brings back!

We stayed there in 1986!! It was sure different then! Old, worn, unattractive, kind of severe. How nice to know that it has become a nice place. I must keep it in mind.
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Stayed at Residenza Canali first week of Oct 2007. It was very convenient. If you decide to stay there, ask for Terrace rooms, They are pretty big and you get a nice terrace with it.
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Hey guys, no I didn't notice that the original post was a year old and maybe others didn't either when they like myself offered a suggestion, however because of this I will be more careful in the future knowing now that some people are advertising and others are being suspicious of our innocent posts.