Hotel/Walking ? for those who've been to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a quick question for those who have been to Rome. We are thinking about staying on Via Cavour (near the Coloseum), but we want to be able to walk pretty much everywhere around Rome (maybe with the exception of the Vatican). Would this location be conducive to walking to the major sites? For example, would we be able to have a relaxing evening walk to the Pantheon/Trevi Fountain one evening? While we don't mind public transportaion, my husband and I find it much more enjoyable to explore a city on foot. I have searched for previous posts on this, but my searches have not been successful, and it is hard for me to gauge on a map. Would we be "better off" staying near the Pantheon to be more centrally located?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Hi, Molly-
As you may know from your research,Rome is a great city for walkers.The Via Cavour location will be fine vis a vis walking distance to most attractions,but for me,it lacks the "stroll factor" of Piazza Navona and Pantheon neighborhoods.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Rome is big, there isn't one location that is near everything, but I think the Pantheon-Piazza Navona-Campo dei Fiori area is wonderfully convenient. I don't feel the same way about the Colosseum area.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I agree with the others. If you want to stay in a more "stroll-worthy" central area definitely stay near Piazza Novona, Campo di Fiore or the Pantheon.

Tracy
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Hi Molly,

In Sept, I stayed on Via XXIV Maggio, one street over from Via Cavour. Both are very busy main streets. I loved my location and it was very easy to walk everywhere except the Vatican which is almost always the furthest point.

My hotel was just behind Trajan's Market and inbetween there and the Quirinale. It was about 5 minutes to the Trevi Fountain, 5 minutes to the Vittorio Emanuelle monument, 10 to the Forum, 15 to the Coloseum.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! You've given me some things to think about.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM

You may be like me and my family and make the long walk part of the exciting journey. We walked from St. Peters to the Forum before, taking our time, stopping for a coffee or gelato along the way. If you like a good walk with amazing things to see along the way, don't let it scare you. Just pack really good walkng shoes and a map.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I don't know your physical condition, how many miles a nice walk is to you, nor what time of year you plan on being there, but I can recommend staying closer to the Pantheon, if possible, for a "relaxing evening walk" to sites. Others may be able to give you specific distances.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry. I should have included that my husband and I are thirty and we both walk/jog for fitness.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM

It really depends on you. I walk all the time, everywhere, run for fun, etc. I have never taken a taxi or the metro in Rome. I like to stroll about, and I'm generally not in a hurry, so stopping to dawdle/rest/get a coffee or some wine, etc., doesn't bother me one bit.

I think of Rome as "small" in terms of the places tourists generally visit. Especially compared to Paris. To me, after 3 visits, things are much closer than they appear on a map.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Oh, you posted at the same time. I'm 36 and run about 5-7 miles a day 5x a week. So that's where I'm coming from. You and your husband shouldn't have a problem. But when it's hot in Rome, it is h-o-t.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Molly,

When in Rome, we stayed between Piazza Navona and the Vatican. We walked everywhere. There are more central locations, but it's amazing how much distance you can cover when you walk for a while, stopping every once in a while, enjoying the city.

Also, the more you walk, the more exercise you get and the easier it is to justify the multiple gelato stops!

Bender
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Try getting some pedestrian distances with www.mappy.com .

If you are staying at, for example, Via Cavour 295, then it's about a 1.7 km walk to Piazza Navona.

It's about a 1.5 km walk to the Pantheon (Piazza della Rotunda).

It's about a 1.1 km walk to Piazza di Trevi (the Trevi Fountain).

You could easily enjoy a walk going from the Colosseum to Trevi to the Pantheon to Piazza Navona to Castel d'Angelo and then back via the Spanish Steps, etc..

But if you're in the middle of that array of sights, it is somewhat more convenient than being on the edge.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM

like you guys, my wife and I are fairly fit in 30's, we stayed in Rome a couple of times. First time we stayed a bit far, south of Coloseum area. Second time we stayed in the Pantheon area. Even though walking is not a problem, it is much nicer to be able to amble around at night after a long meal. There is more to do in the Trevi/Novona area than there is around Coloseum/Forum.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Molly this will give you an idea of distances, as far as walking time these distances are 'as the crow flies'. Also I'm using a large fold-out map for more accuracy.

IMO the exact center of tourist Rome is the Piazza Venezia in regards to the site locations.

Molly, if you walk down to the bottom of Via Cavour and turn right on Via d. Fori Imperiali, in 500m (.31m) you will be in the middle of the Piazza Venezia.

The Colosseum is 850m (.5mi) in one direction and in the opposite direction 850m/.5m is the Piazza Navona.

St. Peter's Sq. is 2150m (1.33m) from you and the Termini Train Station is 1600m (.99m).

As you can see walking around isn't going to be that much of a problem .

I'm also going to be staying it that area in Apr/May at the Hotel Romano at the bottom of Via Cavour.

Opps I just noticed that WillTravel give a good post on distances but I'll still throw mine out there .
Regards, Walter