Reload this Page >

Help with Poland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Kris

I'm in the early, early stage of planning a trip to Poland at the end of May, beginning of June.<BR><BR>I'm trying to use FF miles on BA so we will likely be flying into Warsaw which we have already visited. So I think we will hop on the train down to Krakow. Is there a convenient way to do this from the airport or do we need to go into Warsaw and then find the train?<BR><BR>Once in Krakow, is it possible to base yourself there and do daytrips to Wieliczka to see the salt mines and to Auschwitz via public transportation?<BR><BR>We will have about 7 days to see Krakow and the surrounding area. A couple of days to explore Krakow, a day for the salt mines, a day for Auschwitz, what should we do with the other 3 days? Zakopane? Or should we try to get to Wroclaw? I don't think we'd want to rent a car so we'd be doing this either by bus or train.<BR><BR>One last question-I've heard accomodations can be scarce in Krakow. Any recommendations for a centrally located clean comfortable hotel or B &amp; B would be most appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:21 PM
CharlieB

Kris - (1) you will have to go to the main station in downtown Warsaw to catch the train to Krakow. (2) Once in Krakow there are easy day trips to the salt mines and Auschwitz. (3) I take it you will be departing Poland from Warsaw and Wroclaw (though definitely worth a visit) will be a little out of your way. I would suggest Zakopane or better yet Lublin. I think Lublin is the most intriguing city in Poland. It was the site of Jewish culture in Central Europe and though its Rynek is a little run-down it has the potential of being the most spectacular Ryneck in Poland. Close to Lublin is Zamosc a delightful old Polish town well worth visiting. From Lublin it is an easy train ride back to Warsaw. If by chance you could break up your trip to Krakow I would suggest a side trip to Kasimerze-Dolny a medieval town with its castle. In any event enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Mary

This is for Charlie, I'm going to Poland in May, plus my parents were both from there. Whats a Rynek? It sounds like something I might be interested in. Thanks

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Linda

Kris, both the Auschwitz/Birkenau and salt mines tours are half-day with the Krakow city tours. Unfortunately, they are not on the same day. You can book the tours at the hotel. I would take the bus to Zakopane as it is faster than the train. You can catch the bus in front of the train station. I stayed at Hotel Polonia. It was inexpensive, clean, had nice staff although I don't recommend buying the breakfast tickets. One of the main reasons I stayed there was it was about a 2-minute walk from the train station and about a 5-minute walk to the middle of old town Krakow. You are across the street from the walls of the old city.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:55 AM
George Steed

Suggestion-Take either Airporter or local bus to Warszawa Centralia train station. Consider taking Polski Express bus to Krakow. You can take PE from Airport. Bus comes from downtown. Stop at, Czestochowa-Jasna Gora. Continue to Krakow. Try Saski hotel. www.polskiEXPRESS.pl. Visit Zakopane. You can return to Warszawa via Zamosc and Lublin. Lublin-Majdanek camp.<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Tom

Kris - Just booked this apartment for my June trip to Krakow. I saw it recommended on this forum.<BR>www.sodispar.pl

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Kris

Thanks for the advice so far! Is there any way to fly between the 2 cities on a cheap ticket with LOT? I noticed on their website that if you said you were picking up in Poland that the fares were actually quite reasonable, about 25% of what they were quoting if I purchased in the US. Anyway to arrange with a local travel agent? Or arrange to pickup at the airport?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:20 PM
CharlieB

For Mary - A &quot;Rynek&quot; is the Polish term for &quot;Town Square&quot;. They are usually located in the older section of town, and the Poles have generally done an excellent job in restoring them to their original splendor. In addition to the spectacular architecture they remain essentially the center of Polish social life. It is great fun to set at a cafe on the square - sip a beer - and watch the world go by.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 12:35 AM
George Steed

Lot Airlines. 4 flights a day, Warsaw to Krakow. Polish price about $50. Try, &lt;www.lot.com&gt; Flight is 1 hour.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Poppy

What are the 3 top attractions, in your opinion, to see in Krakow?? And where is the best place to have wonderful, memorable meal?? Thanks.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:38 AM
George Steed

The art gallery above the Sukiennice. Especially-Matejko. Listening to the trumpeters sound the hours from St. Mary's church. With tongue in cheek..the elevator in the Saski Hotel..

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Kris

Thanks George for the website but if I put in that I'm from the US the price is over $200. Encountered the same thing in Turkey on Turkish Airlines website so I arranged through a local travel agent for a fraction of the cost. Wondered if I could do the same thing in Poland?

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George, you mention the 'Airporter' from WAW to central Warsaw. Is this something new? Most of the guidebooks I have talk about taking local buses. Is it located just outside of baggage claim &amp; (hopefully) clearly identified? <BR>I wanted to avoid a taxi, and given my Polish is non-existent this would make getting into the city much easier. Any idea on the cost?<BR>Thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:37 PM

Airporter is special bus that runs between airport and major hotels. It has a stop at the Marriott. Marriott is across from Centralia rail station. Price is very low..You will need Polish zlotych to buy tickets from driver. Lots of signs at airport. ATMs available. Try search for &quot;Warsaw, Poland&quot;.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Thanks, I actually already have some polish currency, so I should be set. I'll be at the Hyatt-- I don't imagine the bus goes out there. Would it be easier to take a taxi from the Marriott stop (I'm concerned about what I've heard about rip offs with cab drivers etc.) or is public transport available from that area?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:08 AM

Taxis..2 suggestions. Use phone to call for one. At Marriott, have doorman call one up for you. Marriott also has van service at airport. Do not deal with taxi drivers in airport. Email Hyatt and get their advice. They may have available transport, especially if you have heavy baggage.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:02 PM

Krakow has a International Airport - so why not fly direct? If you flying from US - check those site for cheaper flights to Poland...<BR>Orbis: http://www.orbistravel.com<BR>AMTA: http://www.amta.com/<BR>LOT: www.lot.com
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:07 PM

As for Taxi drivers at Warsaw Airport - do not deal with ones at arrival area - those guys can rip you off - just take stairs up to Departure area and find Taxi Booths (of I thing 4 individual companies or ask at information to point you to them), they will call the driver and arrange for normal priced taxi trip (ask all for price and compare).