Search

Auschwitz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auschwitz

Three of us will be in Warsaw for a couple of days and we would like to tour Auschwitz. Has anyone used this tour company: http://www.staypoland.com/warsawtours/wauschwitz.asp
to rent a driver and vehicle or do you have other suggestions. We prefer not to rent a vehicle and drive on our own. Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM

I have been to Warsawmany times on business, and on one free day, three of us took an early train from Warsaw station (right across from the Marriott) to Krakow. From Krakow, you can take a train, tour or bus to Auschwitz. We returned to Warsaw that night on a late evening train. We had time to visit the Jewish area, Wawel and central Krakow. It could not have been simpler.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM

Another option from Krakow is to have a taxi take you there and back. Guides are available onsite. We did this with a group of seven and the cost was very reasonable.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM
ira

t
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM

We visited Auschwitz in June 06. We were in Krakow for 3 days and so took a bus to Auschwitz. One of the most moving memorials to the Holocaust victims. The guides are excellent and even if you have read a lot about it they have stories and anecdotes that really stay with you.
I would strongly recommend a visit to Krakow if you can manage it. One of my favorite places, full of history . Poland is still inexpensive compared to Western Europe and a beautiful country. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM

DosPassos: 1335zl for a trip WOW ... for a taxi from Warsaw you would pay about 900zl round trip ... which is still way too expensive ... Auschwitz is a very easy Trip from Warsaw - Take a train to Krakow Glowny from Warsaw PKP Centralny (which are direct often express and will be faster then a bus or even a car) then in Krakow take a bus or train to Oswiecim (Auschwitz) or even a Krakow taxi (which are right outside of Train / Bus station or call or arrange pickup from those guys - http://www.mpt.pl/ ) if you are concerned with time ... At Auschwitz they have their own tour guides which are much more informed and with access to many areas which are closed to individual visitors...

if you are concerned with Polish - just write on paper what you need and then show:

1 ticket(s) 1st class to Cracaw Main = 1 bilet(y) 1 klasa do Krakow Glowny

Prosze napisac z jakiego Peronu i Toru i o ktorej godzinie jest odjazd pociagu.

Please write from which platform and track and what time is departure of train.

Prosze napisac z jakiego stanowiska i o ktorej godzinie jest odjazd autobusu.

Please write from which stand and what time is departure of bus.

Cracow Main Train Station = Krakow Glowny PKP
Cracow Main Bus Station = Krakow Glowny PKS

Warsaw Centralny Train Station = Warszawa Dworzec Centralny

Oboz Koncentracyjny w Oswiecimiu =
Concentration Camp in Oswiecim (Auschwitz)
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM

I agree,if cost is a factor. Take an afternoon train to Krakow, visit the Old Town. Stay at the Europejski, near the train station. A re-done hotel with great food. Next morning Wieliczka or Oświęcim. Get an early start and you can catch a late train back to Warszawa.