Help with Paris trip

Search

Help with Paris trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Paris trip

Will be flying into Paris in Feb'04. What is the weather that I should expect and what do you recommend me to pack for just 2 nights? As I'm a single gal trying to spend the least possible on accommodations, what cheap and safe hotels or hostels should I look at in Paris? Can I make it without speaking French at all?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Paris will most likely be cold (mid-40s F) and rainy. This will not necessarily take anything away from this beautiful city, and is kind of romantic, IMO (and in the original sense of the word). Good sites for historical weather info are worlclimate.com and weatherbase.com

I can't give you any advice on budget hotels, but you might click on "Hotels" above, and scroll down to Europe/Fance/Paris to see a list of hotels which are rated by Fodorites who have stayed there. You can sort by location and price. I understand that some entries are old, so once you have found some particular hotels, you might post questions here regarding them for recent information.

For hostels and other budget hotels, go to the website for the Lonely Planet guidebooks at "lonelyplanet.com". This is the site for backpacker travelling, and they often have good ideas for budget travel. Get onto the chat/talk site and post your question. The area of the site you need is called "Thorn Tree Posts ". The site is somewhat similar to this Talk section of the Fodors site.

Yes, you can make it without speaking any French.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply! I have tons more questions but will post more tomorrow. I am in California and should get some sleep now -- just too excited about my trips!

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:44 AM

I have used www.parishotels.com - gives you all the info on hotels and you can book online.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:47 AM

I think the two best websites for searching hotels (user-friendly/photos) are above www.parishotels.com and also www.france-hotel-guide.com.
You can characterize your searches by price or area, etc. Generally it is best to stay in arrondissements 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 or upper 14th.

After you make a 'short list' of possible hotels, do two things:
1. put the hotel name in the search box at top of this forum, select France in the country list, and read any feedback you find.
2. go to www.tripadvisor.com and do a search for your hotels, and read any feedback there.

Then - if you still have questions or didn't get any feedback, come back to the forum and post your questions.

If you can remember to say 'bonjour, Madame', 'si'l vous plais, Monsieur' and 'merci, Madame' it will help you get by more nicely.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Check out the bonjourparis.com's site, which has a lengthy thread on budget hotels.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:10 AM

While you can indeed get by without French, you will do much better if you learn just a few words: please (s'il vous plaît, pron. see voo play); thank you (merçi, pron. maresee); hello (bonjour, pron. bonejoor). Remember to say bonjour on entering any small shop; it's customary, and if you don't you might be thought rude. You should also say goodbye on leaving, but you can do that in English.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM

You don't say what amount = cheap for a hotel. In case you're still searching..

We are giving Hotel St. Andre des Arts in the 6th (metros: Odeon or St. Michel). My single son's room is around 69 euros, breakfast included. (to put that in perspective our normal hotel around the corner, petit dejeuner is now 14 euros!) It is one of the very few 1 star hotels offered by agencies. We have always stayed in this neighborhood in more expensive places and have passed by this hotel. It looks bare-bones but interesting. We heard from them right away and they speak English, which is a plus in your case.

Really safe, hopping, narrow street that leads down to Place St. Michel and its fountain or up to r. Buci and its markets.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to give a report back until the 5th Feb! For cheap eats in the area, we love the creperie on same street and up around the corner on r. Gregoire de Tours are lots of restaurants. The chinese place started at a 7.5 euro menu to 18, was tasty for the price. Its neighbors are Italian and Savoyard and are extremely popular. Have Fun!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM

You don't say what your definition of "cheap" is, but when I'm traveling alone I frequently stay at the Hôtel de France on the Blvd de la Tour Maubourg in the 7me arrondissement - it's about 75 euros for a nice single room. To me, that's a budget hotel, and it's nice, recently renovated, friendly staff, convenient to métro and cafés and restaurants, etc.

Of course you can get by anywhere without speaking the local language, but a small effort on your part to learn at least some basic phrases will be rewarded with better service and friendliness.