Budget Hotels in Paris (** or below)

Sep 9th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Pdv28

Budget Hotels in Paris (** or below)

Does anyone know the Hotel du Lys(**) in the 6eme? I know the address and telephone #, etc, but am wondering if anybody has actually stayed here? It seems to be in a good location, but I have no idea what kind of room I would end up with.

I am also curious whether anyone has stayed at or knows info on the Hotel Des Grands Degres in the 5th. It has no stars in the book "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" and I am curious whether this hotel is quaint and charming or dungy and dumpy?

Any and all comments are welcomed!
Thanks!!
Patricia

Sep 9th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Carol

Hi Patricia,
Sorry I have no personal experience of these hotels but you can check what others have to say about them at
http://www.paris.org/Hotels/
when you search at this site look under Lys du. There are two by that name, not sure which you are refering to, anyway check it out, it's a great site.

Sep 9th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Donna

I've found "Cheap Sleeps" to be highly reliable. Note that folks are often reluctant to post comments on the travel boards regarding special "finds", lest they become overrun and the rates go way up.

Sep 9th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Pdv28

Carol,
Thanks for the site! I did get to read some customer comments! I wonder --for those out there who have stayed here--if they offer any attic/sloped rooms on the top floor?

Thanks again Carol!
Patricia

Sep 9th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Pdv28

Donna,

I'm hoping to urge people to please share their great finds! After all, what's the fun, if we can't share-- inserts a true French pout!!!

Would anyone know anymore about either of these hotels? I would like to inquire what the rooms look like, the views, and if it is possible to acquire an attic/sloped room on the top floor?

Thanks again to Donna (a big French smile of gratitude!)
and thanks (in advance)to everyone else who can help!!! *********************

Patricia

Sep 9th, 2000, 09:19 PM
Carol

Patricia, It just came to me that I saw a travel show on TV where they highly recommended the Hotel ESMERALDA, they made it sound so quaint (the one presenter said she always stays here), some loft rooms and views of the Notre Dame out the bedroom windows. It's only a one star and I'm not sure how much luxury you're looking for, just thought I'd mention it and you can check it out on that Paris site.

Sep 10th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Pdv28

Carol,

I was also thinking about the Esmeralda! How did you know? It does seem pretty nice from descriptions!I am going to go mad trying to decide. It shouldn't be this hard! Oh well...

Thanks for all your help!
Patricia

Sep 10th, 2000, 09:17 PM
Maven

I know the perfect place. While I would never post it on a public forum (too many unappreciative lurkers), I would have e-mailed you the information, had you provided a valid name and e-mail address. Also, you didn't mention when you're planning to visit.

Sep 10th, 2000, 10:00 PM
Pdv28

Funny you should say that as I purposely left off the above information for just the same reason!
But I appreciate the offer. Are you sure you couldn't just post it? I would really appreciate it.Thanks.

Thanks again to all
& Happy Travels!
Patricia

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:25 PM
TTT

Topping for Josh.

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:45 PM
SiD

Why not try priceline??

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:22 AM
elaine

there has been previous praise here on the Hotel de Lys that is on rue Serpente; you can do a search here to find the comments. I mentioned the street because there is more than one hotel de Lys. The "Cheap Sleeps" book (which I also recommend) mentions that rooms facing the front have more light.
The hotel doesn't have an elevator.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:58 PM
Helen

Hi everyone - we are just back from a short trip to France (and I am already longing to go back!)

I want to share the very nice, clean, small (36 rooms) hotel we stayed at in the 6 th arr. Hotel De Saint Germain (NOT to be confused with the more expensive 3 *** St Germain Des Pres).

This is a 2 ** - just round the corner from Cafe De Flore, Brasserie Lipp - about 2 blocks from Boulevard St Germain - within easy walking distance from D'Orsay, Louvre, Notre Dame etc.

I found it on venere.com, and will definitely stay there again! We had a room on the first floor - facing the street - could sat on the bed while watching the people walking in the street! The noise did not really bother us - I suppose we were too exited! And during the nights it was quiet!

We booked through venere.com, and experienced no problems at all! There is always a person at the service desk who speaks English fluently.

Hope this is of some help for someone!

Kindest regards.

Helen Malan