Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Croatia Itinerary and Ferry Info!

Aug 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi, all!

My husband and I are visiting Rome and Croatia end-September and would love some help with our itinerary and ferry information. Also, we'd love any alternate suggestions you might have (weíre early-30ís and partial to history/ruins, experiencing culture and dining/drinking). Hereís the current plan:

From Rome via Pescara:

9/30: Hvar (Riva Hotel)

10/1: Plan is to travel from Hvar to Split, take a day trip to Salona and Trogir, and spend the night in Split (Hotel Vestibul Palace). BUT, I canít seem to find a single ferry running from Hvar (Stari Grad) to Split on October 1! Does anyone know of any other car-ferry operators that make this route aside from Jadrolinija? They don't seem to be running on that day!

10/2: Day in Split, drive to Dubrovnik with stop in Mali Ston (night in Pucic Palace or Hilton)

10/3: Dubrovnik (night in Pucic Palace or Hilton)

10/4: Day trip to Montenegro, overnight ferry to Bari on Montenegro Lines (Has anyone been on this ferry, or have any other recommendations?)

Many thanks for your insight and information! Itíll be our first trip to Croatia and I truly appreciate the help! Thanks again, and happy travels!

Melissa

Aug 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM

I have a hard time believing that Stari-Grad - Split is not daily, even in October. Perhaps they have not yet posted their winter schedule yet? If that is true, then you are out of luck because if Jadrolinija isn't doing this route then no one else is either.
Sorry, but I have to say you are doing a tremendous amount of moving around for such a short time. You'll be driving more than anything else. It's going to be one big blur--albeit a blur of gorgeous scenery.
Aug 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input! Unfortunately, my work doesn't allow much time off; is there something on the itinerary we should cut? Thanks again for all the help!
Aug 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I would cut out Hvar. One night just won't cut it--it's a settle in and relax type of place. I assume the ferry you are taking from Italy proceeds to Split after Hvar.
A lot of people slam Split, but Diocletian's palace is amazing, and you are also interested in Salona (haven't been there) and Trogir (a lovely place). That way you have 2 nights in Split, which may allow you to get on the road earlier to make more of that day (stopping in Ston is a great idea--it is so beautiful in that area). I can't fix the rest, it's still a whirlwind.
Alternatively, you could take a ferry to Dubrovnik instead, then move south to Bari and see more of Montenegro.

Start looking at drive times--and take into account that there may be road construction going on between Split and Dubrovnik (I think it is scheduled to resume after the high season ends).
Good Luck!

Aug 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I read somewhere the roadworks on the main coastal highway resume on October 1st.

I'm travelling a couple of weeks later, and this is of some concern to me having heard of this trip taking 7-8 hours when the roadworks are in operation.

re the car ferries, I am not going to Hvar as the ferries change their schedules on 1st October. There is a daily ferry, but it goes once a day from Split in the early evening and leaves Hvar early in the morning - to fit in with the islanders who work on the mainland.
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi Melissa,
My husband and I are also in our early 30's and are doing a similiar trip the 2nd week in september. We only have 1 night but 2 full days in Hvar and from the threads I've read it is not to be missed. i guess it is all about what you are looking for. We will only be in croatia for 5 days, but felt it was worth 3 days in dubrovnik and at least trying to get to hvar since I don't know when we will return! We are also staying at Hotel Riva. Did you look at the ferry between rome and ancona. I found that they had better times and that the train from ancona to rome was shorter than the train from pescara to rome. Just thought I would throw that out there! good luck
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Jadrolinija's car ferry from Split to Stari Grad (Hvar) runs three times a day, summer and winter. They may not have the October schedule on the website yet, but there will definitely be sailings every day. I once used the ferry to do a day trip to Hvar on Christmas Day.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM

You could leave your car in Split and take the cat to Hvar. Easy trip. I'd spend more time there - magnificent scenery.
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Jadrolinija's web site (www.jadrolinija.hr) now has schedules up to 31 May 2008.
On 1 October, there are car ferries to Stari Grad at 0530, 1100, 1500 and 1730, and a catamaran to Hvar town at 1400.
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks Geoff.

I'll take a look and see if I can fit Hvar into my plans after all.