Which is the better hotel in Dijon?

Aug 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Which is the better hotel in Dijon?

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and will be taking a trip to France at the end of September. I will be travelling to the Burgundy region for 4 nights and it seems like a good home base for this region would be Dijon. I've been searching Expedia, etc for hotels and the 2 that seem to be the best bet pricewise and locationwise are Hotel Philippe Le Bon and Hotel Le Jura. Can anyone suggest or give feedback on either of the two? Thanks in advance for your help!
Aug 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I can't help you with either of those hotels, as I have only stayed in Dijon for one night. I came in by TGV, and stayed at a hotel very close to the station; the Campanile Centre. It is a small 3* commercial hotel that was quite adequate. Cost was €69 for a double.

Hopefully a regular on this site, Cocofromdijon, who lives in Dijon, will pick up on this thread and be able to give you more advice. I do recall she had something to say about the Jura some time ago. Coco is a great source of information on the area for us, having worked in the hotel business both in England and in France. She also has a rental flat at myhomeindijon.com that has a lot of links to local information.

I think you will love Dijon. We found it a friendly place with good transport options. Lots of mustard, too.

Aug 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Linnyravs: We were in Dijon last Sept for 4 nights and stayed at Coco's flat in Dijon. It was wonderful-everything we could want-spotlessly clean, wonderful location to transpotation and museums, washer ,dryer ,kitchen and Coco picked us up at the train. She is a wonderful lady and you won't go wrong staying there. It was the first time we had stayed in a flat and for our next trip to France in 2008 we will look for a flat again
Aug 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Coco's flat is booked almost solid in September, except 19th and 20th. Did you check TA for the rating of those 2 hotels? If you are interested in renting a flat, check www.dijon-rentahome.com. September is considered a high season. I planned early in the year and reserved 4 nights at Coco's flat (21-25 of Sept).
Aug 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! I've actually tried booking with Coco and Dijon rentahome but both do not have the availability I desire unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion of the Campanile, I will look into that hotel as well. And, yes, I've checked reviews on Trip Advisor and Expedia on these hotels but am kinda torn because nothing is really grabbing me about either. I'm disappointed the flats didn't work out, that would have been a neat experience.

From those that have been to Dijon, do you think there is 4 days worth of solid sightseeing in Burgundy region? This is my first time to France/Europe and I want to make the most of my trip. As it stands now we are splitting time equally (4 nights each) between Paris/Burgundy. Does this sound smart? Any suggestions otherwise? Torn between 5 days Paris/3 Burgundy or splitting 4/4...any opinions from those that have been would be greatly appreciated!
Aug 6th, 2007, 08:03 AM
ira

Hi L,

>Torn between 5 days Paris/3 Burgundy or splitting 4/4..

Both are good, but I would do 5 in Paris.

If nothing in Dijon thrills you, try this place in Beaune: http://www.hotel-grillon.fr/

See my trip report for details.http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Aug 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Bonjour mes amis! (Judy it's been a while, hope you're fine!)
Linda contacted me already(she found me here actually and I'm glad she registred now )
My personal choice would go to Philippe le Bon hotel which is located in a little street very close to the Burgundian life museum and has a good restaurant (les Oenophiles).

Actually it depends if you wish to stay near the train station, in that case Le Jura is much closer.
I remember it is Stu Dudley's favourite hotel when he has to take an early train. But I find the street (avenue Foch) very noisy and there are big works at the train station that would make it even noisier. (maybe ask for a room at the back). Have you checked hotel du Nord on Place Darcy? http://www.hotel-nord.fr/

Dick Campanile hotels are 2 star hotels... ;-)
Good luck Linda and please let us know what you chose.
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Coco! Good to see you and thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a choice to make - Beatrice has an apartment available but not on the first day I wanted to arrive to Dijon...so I can either spend an extra day in Paris and spend 3 days at Beatrice's 1 bedroom apt or go the full 4 days and find a hotel. Decisions, decisions! I did tell her that you recommended me to her...thanks again for that, you have been so helpful.
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Many people like smaller cities like Beaune, just down the road or any of smaller wine villages along the Route des Vins Bourgogne - Dijon is a fine city but if driving cities like that can be hassle to get into and out of.
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

We will probably be renting a car to get around Burgundy so that is something to consider. Kind of like being in a city though to just walk out and grab breakfast first thing - or to walk around town before heading in for the night. Does anyone have experience with renting cars in this area? Is it easy? Very expensive? I've seen around 50-75 Euros per day with only 60 miles. Can anyone recommend renting a car in Paris and driving back and forth versus taking TGV to Burgundy and renting once there?
Aug 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
ira

Hi L,

>Kind of like being in a city though to just walk out and grab breakfast first thing - or to walk around town before heading in for the night.

Most hotels offer bkfst. The Grillon had DIY boiled eggs.

Also, Beaune is a pleasant place to walk around at night.

>Does anyone have experience with renting cars in this area?

www.autoeurope.com and www.gemut.com

>Can anyone recommend renting a car in Paris and driving back and forth versus taking TGV to Burgundy and renting once there?

I certainly wouldn't.

Aug 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM

At one time, I was thinking of renting a car in Dijon to do day trips and drive up north to Ardennes. I changed my mind after seeing the price of the car with automatic transmission. Coco directed me to National car rental site. They have office at the train station in Dijon. The price for regular car is good with unlimited mileage.
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Great - thanks Ira and Georgiegirl for your advice - great stuff! I think we are going to go with the 5 nights Paris/3 nights Burgundy as was suggested by Ira.

So is there any benefit to driving from Paris to Burgundy - any good sights along the way that make it worthwhile for a 3 night stay? Or is time better spent in the cities in Burgundy rather than stops along the way?

Also, does anyone have any info on this area on a Sunday? Are things open? Wineries, stores, tours, etc?
Aug 7th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Since you are leaving end of September, you still have time to check for prem ticket from Paris to Dijon. I got mine - Dijon to Paris - for 20 euro. Rent a car in Dijon. There are many things to do in this region: Beaune, Auxerre, Besançon, wine route, etc. Go to Tripadvisor and search under Burgundy, there are a lot of posts. It is hard to search in this site.
Aug 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi L,

>So is there any benefit to driving from Paris to Burgundy - any good sights along the way that make it worthwhile for a 3 night stay? Or is time better spent in the cities in Burgundy rather than stops along the way?<

Ah, you Americans and your love for automobiles.

You could drive from Paris to Dijon or Beaune - stopping at Troyes and/or Auxerre - about 4:35 hr on the road.

It's under 2 hr by train.

You'll want a day for Dijon, a day for Beaune and a day to visit the countryside.

Aug 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

georgiegirl - what do you mean by a prem ticket from Paris-Dijon? Is that a train? I was looking at rates for a TGV roundtrip and it came to about $160-$200 roundtrip for 2 (about 120-140 Euro). Is there a cheaper way to do this? Also, I'll have to check out TA for info on Burgundy - thanks.

Ira-thanks for some ideas of stops along the way. We are on the same page thinking 1 day Dijon, 1 day Beaune and 1 day wine countryside. Looking forward to the market in Beaune on Saturday and I believe Coco mentioned one on Friday in Dijon as well - I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun.
Aug 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM

www.voyages-sncf.com has all the PREM fares available - you must be looking at full fare or www.raileurope.com, which though largely owned by French Rail (SNCF) does not display many PREM fares though on some runs they may have discounted fares.
Aug 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Put MorganB in the search box of this site. He wrote a comprehensive essay on how to buy train ticket. There are 2 versions. Just go to the first version. Since I don't know your dates between Paris and Dijon, I could not check the prem fare out for you. If you want to contact me directly, my e-mail address is [email protected]
I am not an expert, just know enough to get around on my own.
Aug 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

I just found the PREM fares with your advice - thanks so much! I checked MorganB's instructions and they were perfect...so it would be 80 Eur for 2 people round trip...not bad at all! You can rent cars right at the train station in Dijon right? Do you recommend doing that now or once we get there?
Aug 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I would do it now.
www.nationalcar.com
They have more than one pick up point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO