Short (6 night) Croatia Itinerary Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of a 4 week trip to Europe this September/October, we will be spending 6 nights in Croatia.

I would like to spend our time in Dubrovnik (3 nights), Split (1 night - to see Diocletian's Palace) and Hvar (2 nights)

My issue is this: we land in Dubrovnik at 2:45pm on Day 1, and fly out of Dubrovnik on Day 7 at 6pm. It seems that in order to not waste the 1st day traveling up to Split the 1st night (I assume we wouldn't arrive until after dark), it would be smarter to:

1. start by spending the 1st 3 nights in Dubrovnik,
2, leave early (by car or bus, not sure yet) on the 4th day for Split - see the palace, walk the Riva, spend the night
3. Leave on an early ferry to Hvar, spend the last 2 nights on Hvar, then
4. Leave on an early ferry to Split and catch a bus (or drive depending on if we end up renting a car) back to Dubrovnik for our flight at 6.

(Another thought was to spend 3 nights in Hvar and do a day trip to Split just to see the palace...)

Does this sound like the best way to do it, or is there a better way? It concerns me a little trying to get from Hvar to the Airport (we usually try to stay in the city we fly out from the night before), but in this case, it doesn't seem like the best way to do things...

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM

You don't need three days in Hvar.

You may have a hard time filling two.

I am not sure you can leave Hvar in the morning and get to DBV in time for a 6 PM international flight, but others will know better.

Depending on the days of the week involved, you may want to do this in reverse: Dubrovnik - Hvar by ferry, Hvar-Split by ferry, Split-Dubrovnik by bus.

Schedules and suggestions at:
http://www.croatiatraveller.com/sout.../Gettingto.htm

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM

The bus is a great way to travel from Dubrovnik to Split/Hvar. We took a morning bus to Split, saw the palace, then took the afternoon ferry to Hvar. We didn't need to spend a night in Split. We enjoyed our time on Hvar alot plus the day trips we took from the island.

Here is my travel report. Skip the part on Budapest then you'll see a long review of our time in Croatia. Have a great time!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34846458

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses

Sounds like taking a bus from Dubrovnik to Split on the 1st day - arriving at about 7-8pm in Split, overnight in Split, see the Palace in the morning, then take afternoon ferry to Hvar would work fine (I was concerned about having too little time to see Split if we spent the 1st night there - but seems that you really only need a few hours?).

That way we could spend 2 nights in Hvar before we come back to Dubrovnik for the last 3 nights.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:42 AM

You can easily see Diocletian's Palace in half a day. It gets dark about 7pm in early October, but travelling up towards Split you'd get to see the sunset on your left side.

When are you going to be in Dubrovnik? I will be there 7-10 October.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Split can easily be seen in a few hours. Trogir, near Split, is a small UNESCO town - very pretty and charming and a pleasure to walk the tiny, twisty streets. Rather than staying in Hvar two nights I would recommend Trogir (as it is close to Split, anyway).