Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Barcelona, San Sebastian, Douro Valley and Lisbon Hotel

Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

I am planning our first trip to Spain and Portugal in August. We are starting our trip in Barcelona, then heading to San Sebastian, then to Douro Valley and finishing our trip in Lisbon. I have narrowed my choices as listed below. Our likes are being in the "old" parts of town, wandering the streets and checking out the shops, cafes and restaurants. We really like places with character.

Barcelona:
Hotel Bagues
Hotel Claris
Condes de Barcelona
Hotel Colon
Pulitzer

San Sebastian
Hotel Londres Y Ingeiterre
Astoria 7
Hotel Niza

Douro Valley
Aquapura
Casa de Canilhas
Casa da Calacada

Lisbon
Bairro Alto Hotel
Hotel Avenida Palace
Heritage Av Liberdade

Most grateful for any and all feedback.
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:01 AM

reading your posting history I can see you have asked some previous questions on this trip.
I assume you are travelling by car? If so how have to managed to over come the drop off fee?
Did you red the posts about the electronic toll roads in Portugal too?
Apr 4th, 2012, 04:24 AM

We just returned from four days at the Avenida Palace Hotel and I cannot speak highly enough about the place.

We hold hotels, especially five star hotels to a very high standard and the Avenida Palace met all of them.

We had a suite on the 6th floor with a view of the Castello Sao Jorge in what almost amounted to a wing to ourselves since there were no adjoining rooms and it had one and three quarter baths (toilet in only one of them). Everybody from check in to check out was exceptional. The breakfast room, in addition to being gorgeous, is staffed by very professional people with a wide variety of foods.

The hotel is ideally located just off the Restaurado; there is a metro station just around the corner and the Rossio train station is right next door.

I feel certain that if you choose this hotel you will not be disappointed.
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Sheraton has a great special i lisbon for 40E. some august dates are left. The special is called "FORTY". Two night maximum but can make back to back reservations with no problem.

http://deals.sheraton.com/Sheraton-L..._SOP_US_SI_292

Be sure you "click" the FORTY offer, as it defaults to the "standard rate" when link is opened. Good luck.
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:40 AM

I am getting ready to do a similar trip in May (without the Duro valley stop). I have looked at some of the hotels that you are also considering. Here are the choices I have decided on: We made a reservation in Lisbon at Eurostars das Letras which looked like a very interesting hotel, location around the ones you are considering with a cheaper rate. However now we have decied to stay in Cascais and take the train into Lisbon for sightseeing - obviously this will be more of a resort vibe than an urban stay - we are not into nightlife at all.

In SS we have chosen Hotel Londres....I read that it has been recently renovated - we liked the location near the old town. I really did not like that Hotel Niza would not guarantee a sea view yet the prices were the same.

In Barcelona we have stayed before at the Hotel Regencia Colon which is next door (and a bit cheaper) to Hotel Colon. Great location for exploring El Born, Ciutat Velle and even Las Ramblas. Easy metro connections to other parts of city (but do be aware on the metro of the very professional pick-pockets that lurk).

We are very excited about our May trip - I was in Lisbon very briefly last fall and I enjoyed it so much I put it at the top of my "next" list.
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM

suec1 - you're right about Niza in SS. They told us that we would have a sea view, but this dematerialised when we arrived at the hotel. It's very nice and with a good location, but this left a bad taste. I won't return. My uncle and aunt stayed in Londres - some time ago admittedly - and really liked it.

A colleague is just back from Lisbon, having stayed in the Avenida Palace, and has nothing but good things to say about it.
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM

All of Lisbon and Portugal hotels are on sale. The economy has tanked and hotels are reducing prices. There have been many articles about this on travel websites.

www.venere.com will give you comparisons of each hotel, its location, and reviews by folks that have stayed there. It's a tool I always look at when traveling to Europe.
Apr 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM

The Douro Valley in August will be very hot, so find a place with a pool. Casa da Calacada is not actually in the Douro Valley, but closer to Porto. Casa de Canilhas is in the lower end of the Douro, while Aquapura is a little closer to Régua, and one of the better spa hotels in the immediate area.
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM

In San Sebastián, I would have chosen Londres or Niza with Londres as a clear nr. 1. Both in the middle of everything and on the beautiful La Concha beach promenade. Astoria 7 is located a little south of the city center, near the bus station and close to the football stadium Anoeta. Not a bad neighbourhood, but it will probably mean quite a lot of not that interesting walking to and from the city center, the beaches and the famous Parte vieja/Old town.
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:55 AM

... and you should know that San Sebastián celebrates the big summer festival Aste Nagusia/Semana Grande/Big week between August 11 and 18.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...fireworks.html
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input. These forums are so helpful to me as a first timer to Spain and Portugal. We are taking the overnight train from SS to Coimbria and renting a car to explore the Douro Valley. I am still having difficulty finding a good place to stay. Aquapura is 350 USD a night which is a bit over our budget. Any other suggestions in the Duoro Valley? We will be primarily visiting the vineyards and exploring the small towns. What are the more interesting towns to stay near?

Re Barcelona, we are trying to decide between Condes de Barcelona and Hotel Bagues. Again, we love the idea of wondering the Barri Gotic streets.

Sticking with Londres. It seems like it is in the perfect location and the rate is not too bad either and definately leaning toward Hotel Avenida. The rate is about 120USD less than Bairro Alto Hotel. Again, we really want to be near the Bairro Alto area. Love the small winding streets to explore. We really don't plan to use public transportation or see the museums and churches. We want to just soak in the culture and surroundings.
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

one more question, is it too loud at Hotel Bagues? The hotel looks really nice.
Apr 8th, 2012, 06:03 AM

"We really don't plan to use public transportation "

In Lisbon you're going to walk everywhere? You do know about the hills? Besides, the tram, the funicular and the elevador are sights in themselves.