help - which Sorrento accommodation?

May 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

help - which Sorrento accommodation?

Hi!

Has anyone stayed recently at either Villa Anna B & B (www.villanna.com) or Hotel Il Nido (www.ilnido.it) in Sorrento, and if so, what was your experience?

Or anyone simply familiar with Sorrento, what is your opinion?

Both have availability for my dates at good rates.

Thank you for any insight!!

May 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Sorry - we didn't stay at either of the places mentioned. We spent 5 nights in Sorrento in October and was very pleased with Antiche Mura - great location, great rooms, great service. Have you checked tripadvisor, by any chance?
May 8th, 2007, 06:41 AM

I've stayed at Il Nido and it's about 10 minutes out of town (above Sorrento)with wonderful views. They have a free shuttle to and from town/train station from 8-11 am and 3-11:30 pm. If you want to travel between 11 am and 3 pm the cost was 5E per group not person. They are also on the bus line. We loved eating on the restaurant (great food/prices) terrace overlooking the bay. The rooms have mini-fridge, but not kitchens.

It appears Villa Anna is more of an apartment than hotel and doesn't seem to have the views that Il Nido does.
May 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kybourbon!

That's the kind of info I need. Did you think staying out of town was a hassle?

I did look at tripadvisor - they both got great reviews - which is what makes it a hard choice!

May 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I can't comment on the hotels but I can on staying out of town. We stayed at Hotel Minerva (which is close to Hotel Il Nido). We never found it to be a hassle to be 10 min from "downtown". The views from the hill are breathtaking.
As an earlier poster said, there is a shuttle and the bus. Many people also walked and while it is steep, it is doable. We used the walk back to justify eating all the wonderful gelato!
May 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Actually, we liked staying out of town. We had been in Rome for a few days and were heading back to Rome after Sorrento and Il Nido was very quiet/peaceful. Gianni and staff were very accommodating. We arrived about 3:30 in the afternoon(they pick up for free at the train station) and needed lunch so they took us out on the terrace and opened the kitchen early (restaurant hours 5-10) to fix some food for us. We really appreciated this as I had a type 1 diabetic in my group and she needed to eat. We were having trouble making up our minds what to order so Gianni brought out platters of appetizers at no charge.

Another night we got in after the restaurant had closed and my daughter wanted something to eat. They fixed a cheese plate with a few other items that didn't require cooking.

The rooms are basic, not fancy, and very clean. The AC worked great. When we booked, I tried to get 3 doubles with views, but was only able to get 2 with view. I took the room without the view, but it still had a little terrace and limited view. My room had a double bed and a twin bed. The bathroom was huge with a very deep tub. The view/balcony rooms had double beds and one had shower only so if that is important to you be sure to ask.

Gianni got up at 5:30 to take us to catch the Marozzi bus to Rome at 6. It was only 5E to take the 6 of us. A taxi would have been 20E.

I guess it really depends on if you want to be in town or out and have a kitchen or not.

May 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM

B&B Casa Antoinette is a lovely place we spent one night at last year. Wonderful memory of the music piped onto the terrace, no one there but the two of us and dancing in the moonlight. You walk down to the main road and catch a bus (1 Euro) to town (5 minutes). Reasonable rates as I recall, but they only had the one night available while we were there.

We have spent most of our time in Sorrento at La Tonnarella. They have some of the most wonderful rooms, with awesome views of Vesuvius but it is high end. They do have my husband, the foodie's, favorite restaurant. We have also stayed at the Bel Aire and it was comfortable, wonderful views, very helpful service. Again, higher prices. You didn't say what your price range is.
May 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SOOO much!

I think we will go with Il Nido. We are only there a few days at the almost end of a three-week trip, and it sounds very relaxing. The staff sound fabulous.

We don't really need the kitchen since we will stay for such a short time, and I think beautiful scenery and the view is more the priority for my husband (who is the one insisting we go to Sorretno, even for just a few days).

Thanks again!!