Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help w/itinerary - Paris & French Riviera

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are headed to Paris and the French Riviera in two weeks. We're still working out the details of the trip and booking hotels (I know, we're procrastinators!). I would like your input on the following itinerary and suggestions for hotels/B&B in Villefranche (preferably under $250 per night)

Arrive Paris 8 am on Friday, Sept. 5
Stay in Paris 3 nights.
Fly from Paris to Nice on Monday, Sept. 8. Take a bus/train to Juan les Pins.
Stay in Juan les Pins at the Le Méridien Garden Beach for 3 nights. Day trip to St. Tropez.
Bus/train to Villefranche-sur-Mer on Sept. 11.
Stay in Villefranche for 3 nights (hotel to be determined). Day trip to Nice and Monaco.
Fly home out of Nice on Sept. 14.

A little background - we're in our early thirties. I will be 4 1/2 months pregnant. It will be my husband's first time to Paris and my second. Our goal on the French Riveria is to get in a lot of beach time, explore the towns and visit a couple museums.

Do you think our itinerary works? Is there any reason that we should go to Villefranche first and then Juan les Pins? Do you think these are good towns to base ourselves in?
And finally, any recommendations for hotels/B&B's in Villefranche would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM

I'm wondering if you need to base yourself in two places on the Riviera.. it is only a 45-minute drive between Cannes and Monaco (52km) according to Google maps. Of course, traffic can boggle you up here and there.. but it seems you could see your sights from one location.

Juan les Pins looks to be about halfway between St Tropez and Monaco, maybe just stay there so you don't have to travel around so much.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM

Oh, I think basing yourselves in 2 places gives you a nice change of scenery and perspective. We based ourselves in Nice half the time and Roquebrune the other half.

I would give Nice and Monaco their own separate days. Nice is a big interesting city, and even Monaco is bigger than it looks on a map, once you start walking around.

Also try to see Antibes when you're in Juan.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM

1) I wouldn't like moving every 3 nights.

2) If I were going to base in 2 different places in the south, I think I'd pick places further apart than Juan and Villefranche. Juan has a nice big white sandy beach but it's still quite a distance to St. Tropez from there. Villefranche beach is rocky.

3) I think you're at a real disadvantage without a car on the Riviera if you plan on seeing the different towns. I personally think you have to decide if this is a beach vacation or a sightseeing vacation. If it's beach, forget the car and pick one place with a nice beach and do a bit of sightseeing by bus or train from there IF you feel like it. If it's sightseeing, rent a car and consider staying in one place.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM

It does not make sense to change hotels at the Cote d'Azur.

Better stay in one hotel (Juan-les-Pins is more central on the Cote) and take a rental car to enjoy those incredibly scenic drives.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM

I agree with those who suggest staying in one spot on the Cote d'Azur. Juan-les-Pins sounds perfect for your interests.

Day trips along the coast are easy by either train or bus. Service is frequent and fares are cheap. If you want to visit hilltop villages like Saint Paul-de-Vence or Eze, you'll need to either take a bus or rent a car. Bus service into the hills is less frequent than it is along the coast, but it is possible to get by without a car.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM

I trust you know that the beaches east of the St-Tropez area are predominately rocky. I strongly suggest that you move about by car, and, except for short jaunts, you avoid the lower road. Invest in a Michelin [Green] Tourist Guide of the French Riviera.

The upper corniche is an exhilirating drive, and the views spectacular. We particularly enjoyed Eze, a perched hillside village near St-Jean-Cap Ferrat and Monaco.

You have a great trip laid out.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM

If you rent a car, you'll need a detailed map. I suggest Michelin map #341 Alpes-Maritimes. You can order it here: http://tinyurl.com/6zrzhw.