Europe next spring - with budget in mind

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe next spring - with budget in mind

We'd like to plan a trip to 'somewhere' in Europe next spring (May-June, sort of shoulder season). Lots of possibilities, we're considering the Amalfi coast, my husband favors Switzerland and Austria, I thought maybe a Scandinavian cruise out of Amsterdam (and staying in Amsterdam a few days on one end of it)...

We were in New Zealand and Australia earlier this year, Provence last year, northern Italy the year before, China before that... We've been to Tuscany, to Paris, London, the Cotswolds, Ireland. So there are a lot of places we haven't seen.

But the weakness of the dollar has become a real factor in planning. So my question is - what parts of Europe are more favorable for American tourists? I know that the UK is very expensive (so that trip to Northern England and Scotland may have to wait), I hear that Portugal is pretty reasonable, maybe this is the year to go to Greece...

All suggestions welcome. We are independent travelers, budget minded, but are not going to do without that ensuite bathroom. We like B&Bs, like local restaurants, and enjoy outdoor activities as well as museums and galleries.

Where shall we go?

Thanks for your good ideas.
Alice
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I adore Switzerland, but it's certain not cheap!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM

The Dollar is at about the same value against the Euro as it was last September when we went to Germany and Austria.

We find Germany and Austria to be a good value for Americans. You can always find clean, basic accommodations for 50 to 70 Euro, sometimes less if you don't mind farm stays. And we always manage to find good, reasonably priced meals.

And you can't beat the scenery!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Alice,

I live in Switzerland, and yes, it is expensive. I also find the major cities of Italy expensive as well as the Amalfi coast. (In fact, sometimes Italy just feels like a ripoff to me but I think it's because I resent being charged to go into a church.)

I think you may find a lot to love in Germany including the lower relative cost. Accommodations are usually very clean so you don't have to go anywhere fancy to feel comfortable.

There is gorgeous scenery to be found as in Switzerland and Austria.

The city of Berlin is fascinating and very different from London, and Paris, yet equally thrilling IMHO. There are many things to see and do there that require little or no entry fee. If you are even a teeny, tiny bit into history you can keep busy for days there. Plus there are some wonderful art museums.

Dining out and accommodations are more reasonable esp. in June-August which I guess is not the happening time of year for Berlin (or so I was told at our hotel that offers a summer special).

I vote for Germany with Berlin and then some area like Bavaria for a scenic tour as well...I'm sure many on Fodor's will have ideas for you...

I do love Amsterdam too, but I think Berlin will be more reasonable.

gruezi
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
LJ

Portugal has a lot to offer. There are numerous threads here that will testify to that. I like it because of the contrasts.The Algarve has its nay-sayers because it has OD'd on UK visitors. But once you get immediately beyond the beach at Albufiera and into places like Monchique, it is like stepping back in time.

Then again Lisbon is a charming and sophisticated city with much history and some fine restaurants.

I will defer to folks on here who know Portugal way better than I do to fill in the blanks. But do consider it!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM

First of all, if you rent apartments in Switzerland and use train passes, it is not expensive. So if that's your first choice, I'd stick with it.

That said, I think Berlin is a great suggestion for people who want a budget urban destination.

Greece is a great idea if you find your spot and don't do a lot of island hopping.

The Pyrennees in May is virtually empty and absolutely gorgeous, with very cheap accommodations and food. But it is primarily a hiking destination, and you'd need a car if you wanted to do a lot of cultural sightseeing.

Scandanavia, Amsterdam and the Amalfi coast are three of the most expensive destinations in Europe. (You can try to beat the costs in Amalfi by moving a bit down the coast toward Salerno.)

MOST of Italy beyond the tourist track (and even parts of Tuscany right in the tourist track) offer very affordable B&Bs with ensuite bathrooms. (And it's even cheaper if you rent and cook at least some of your own meals). Renting a car is expensive (especially if you don't drive stick), but there are many places along train lines (the Ligurian coast, the Veneto, parts of Tuscany) where you can have a marvelous time in the middle of pretty scenery and memorable artistic sights and not spend a lot of money. You can even lower the costs in Amalfi by moving a bit down the coast toward Salerno, and taking the bus or ferry to Amalfi or Capri.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM

I could be wrong but it's my impression that the weather in the Alps is more unreliable during the spring months than in the fall. And since fair weather is crucial to the enjoyment of the mountain scenery, I'd be wary.

You've been to many places - how about Sicily? Not too hot yet and not as expensive as certain other areas (I believe).
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM

How about the Czech Republic, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, etc.? Your dollar can really stretch in these places. Not only that but there is so much history and beauty and interesting culture.

Croatia is also wonderful but Dubrovnik can be expensive. Outside Dubrovnik you can get some excellent prices for B&Bs - we have never paid over 60 euros for a double. Great food, too. I could go on and on about Croatia (i.e. scenery, beauty, history, culture, food, people, architecture) but it would take hours and hours!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Sicily has some nice bargains for B&Bs but the need to rent a car -- plus the extra costs of transport to Sicily, don't really make it a budget destination.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

So many good suggestions! A few things:
1) We generally rent a car, we can get off the tourist track that way, and for some inexplicable reason, my husband likes driving in foreign countries. We of course, rent a stick shift, manual transmission is ridiculously expensive. And as small a car as we can manage and still keep our luggage out of sight when we're not in the car.

2) I like to choose May-June because it's not too hot yet in central/southern Europe, the days are nice and long, AND people with kids in school aren't traveling yet. We have traveled in September also, but the days are much shorter, and I feel safer walking around unfamiliar places in daylight. But September isn't out of the question. We went to New Zealand in Mar/Apr because that seemed to fit their fall/post Easter calendar.

Which is all to say we totally flexible in terms of time.

3) I had thought about going later in Switzerland (and that would apply to the Pyrennees as well). When we were in northern Italy a few years ago, we saved the Dolomites for the end of the trip, and even then, there were places we couldn't get to because of snow.

4)I know Scandinavia is very expensive, which is why I thought a Scandinavian cruise might be a cost-effective way to travel. I'm not a big cruise fan (no more Caribbean cruises for me, thanks), but we did love an Alaskan cruise we did a while back.

5) Eastern Europe is a possibility, although my husband is less enchanted with the idea.

6) We COULD decide to not do Europe next year and go to Hawaii, but it's just not the same, is it?

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming, you guys are great!

Alice
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM

zeppole, the car rental would be paid for, prior to leaving the U.S., in dollars not euros. The weakness of the dollar would therefore not be a factor.

Alice mentioned Greece - on a par with the extra costs of transport to Sicily.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM

<6) We COULD decide to not do Europe next year and go to Hawaii, but it's just not the same, is it?>

Precisely! I am in the unfortunate habit of comparing other places to Europe and they do not measure up. Of course every destination has its own character but give me Europe any day!

My vote is still Central/Eastern Europe. Although I have not yet been to Romania I know people who have and it is very intriguing and compelling. It is on our Top 10 List.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Tuck,

I still think car rental and fuel costs in Europe are expensive, and for most people, if they are looking to cut costs on a European trip, it just jumps out at you as something to forego. In the case of Alice9, it's a moot point, since her family looks committed to car travel.

My reasons for citing Greece as a budget destination is that food and lodging are cheaper, by a noticeable degree, compared with the rest of Europe. And I would think that RT tix from the US to Greece are cheaper than RT tix to Sicily (if they can be found) but I could be wrong about that.

It may be the way I traveled in Sicily, but I didn't find it cheap. I feel that on the "boot" of Italy, there are lots of off-the-beaten track options that are highly enjoyable and culturally rewarding but are a fraction of places like Venice and the Amalfi. In Sicily, one is discouraged from getting off the beaten track, even by Sicilians.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Our car rental last September in Germany and Austria for 3 weeks cost under $200 per week for a compact car. We actually got a free upgrade (thru AutoEurope) when we booked with www.gemut.com. We spent another $350 for fuel and our Austrian vignette but still didn't feel that was too bad for 3 weeks considering all the driving we did.

A lot of people don't want to deal with having a car in Europe and driving in unfamiliar areas. But my husband loves to drive the autobahn and enjoys the flexibility of having a car.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well no Hawaii is not the same as Europe. Sometimes it's better (gasp). Sometimes I prefer a trip to the tropics. Since I'm in Seattle it's MUCH cheaper, easier, and more relaxing, and required little to no planning.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM

bettyk,

I'm not saying that a car rental is not a justifiable cost in a trip to Europe. I think it is never a cost "savings" to cut out what makes a trip enjoyable to you.

I'm just a bit stumped when these questions come up about how to save money on European travel now that the Euro is no longer at 1.15.

One way is to go to countries like Portugal and Greece.

Another is to go to countries where having a car isn't required to see fabulous sights.

But if you like to drive, it's worth every penny. It's like people who enjoy flying first class or staying in 5 star hotels. Or shop. If they want to save money, they should cut out something else.

But I have no hesitation about recommending, as a money saving strategy, a train trip through Emilia-Romagna. Cheap transport, great eats, fantastic art sites every step of the way, and no big city prices or resort prices for lodgings.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Greece is no longer a cheap destination and you don't get great value for your dollar anymore... better in Portugal - Croatia - Greece is gorgeous, has an amazing, tangible history and magic water, but their inflation is killing them and causing prices to go up and up, making it not only harder for us but for the Greeks as well.
The euro has not been kind at all to Greece - for the first few years but now, no.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I live in Italy, and when I was in Athens last March, hotel and food prices were a relief, and I was comparing euros to euros. But I'm sure Croatia is cheaper.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM

I agree Berlin is a great deal, and a great city.

While Berlin is cheaper in general, I have found that I have not done so badly in Amsterdam, mostly because I've gotten good hotel deals with breakfast included, and had dinner at reasonably priced places.

Other German cities also tend to be a good deal, so long as you don't go when a huge convention is on (true for any city, I guess).

I wouldn't close down any possibilities, though, as good deals can pop up anywhere. Figure out what you want to spend, and then see what's available in that price range.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM

Turkey's very cheap and an interesting country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -