Reload this Page >

Nice, Cannes or St Tropez?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:28 AM
AllyPally

I am booked to fly from London to Nice at the beginning of August for a long weekend. Three years ago I went to Monaco for a long weekend and enjoyed wandering around at night, sunning myself on the beach during the day (hugely expensive though to hire the chair for the afternoon!) and getting away from London. I am looking to repeat the experience again. I've heard quite a few negative things about Nice. Should I skip it and go to Cannes? What about St Tropez?? Thanks!!

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AllyPally,<BR><BR>Don't know what negative things you've heard about Nice. The beaches are pebbly vs sandy is the only &quot;negative&quot; I can imagine.<BR><BR>Many people ask your question (where to stay) so if you type in Nice AND beaches, for example, in the text search, you'll get lots of previous questions &amp; answers.<BR><BR>St Tropez is furthest from Nice airport &amp; the train that runs along the coast doesn't go as far as St Tropez so it's a bit removed. Cannes has a nicer beach than Nice but is a more commercial/built up place. <BR><BR>If you're young &amp; looking for beach &amp; nightlife, you might like Juan les Pins (near Cannes) but it gets &quot;crazy&quot; at night. Antibes also has a nice beach. The website www.beyondprovence/fr has some good info comparing the various towns. All (as you probably know) will be packed in August.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:13 AM
kebanks

Nice has its benefits, but it's definitely a city and not where I think of for a beach vacation. Of the three you mention, I'd go with Cannes. Of course, in August, the whole coast will be jammed, and you're probably not going to find any bargain chairs in Cannes either. But to me, it's got a more interesting ambiance - and better beaches - than the other two. That said, I'd probably rent a car so you can explore some of the less discovered towns and coastline.

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Cannes is kind of a dirty city and the beach in some areas is pretty narrow and beat up. I wasn't at all keen on Cannes.<BR> <BR>Nice's beaches are pebbly, but I found lying on the stones was actually a nice massage since the stones were smooth and round. The city of Nice itself is exciting and vibrant. Lots of shopping, art galleries and sidewalk cafes.<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM

I really found Cannes very bland, and much prefer Nice. Nice, IMO, is less snobby than some of the other RIveria towns. It offers great people-watching, relatively inexpensive food, (especially along the wide back street that leads to Vieux Nice) and excellent nightlife and free street entertainment along the Promenade des Anglais. Of course it will be crowded in August, but that's actually part of it's charm. <BR><BR>Have a great time!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Saint Tropez , the official home of the Famous BB...The legendary voice of the animals.. St. Tropez is much better...
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Ally- I fell in love with St Tropez--<BR>the winding streets filled with awesome shops-<BR>The little bistros and great discos..<BR>The gorgeous harbor......<BR><BR>I only had one day there on a cruise in the MED and want to go back for a week!!! It is fabulous!!!!