st juan les pins or cannes or bourmes mimosa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfreind and I (30 yrs old) are going to Provence/Cote D'azur for the first time this May. We are renting a car and driving from Marseille to Nice. One night in Marseille, Avignon De Paix, Nice, and we have two more nights to fill. Our options are the following for May 14-16 (Cannes film festival is going on)
Cannes-Atel Du Grand Duc ($80/night)
Juan Les Pins- The Meridian Garden Beach Hotel($175/night)
Bormes Mimosa- Bestwestern($100/night)
My question: stay two nights at a certain city or one nite in each city..or is that too much travel time?
Anyone prefer one city to another? Been to these hotels?
Thanks for your time!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Nolita,

Marseilles to Nice is a lot of ground to cover. Only one night in each place?At what point in your trip do these 2 nights fall? From where do you depart, Nice? What are your interests?

Juan Les Pins (which is very close to Cannes) has a great beach and is very busy at night with clubs.

Both Cannes & Juan Les Pins are relatively close to Nice & most people would not move from one to the other. Bormes Mimosa (where I've never been) is much further west. So if these nights are BEFORE Nice, of the choices you've provided, I'd stay in Bormes Mimosa (although I'm not sure how close it is to Avignon De Paix), and continue on to Nice.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I've spent a lot of time in Juan Les Pins, and it does have a terrific beach. The town itself is mostly a beach town, with a lot of clubs and pizzerias. The nearby Antibes (it might even be the same town) provides a lot of the charm and interest you might be seeking on the Riviera. A wonderful outdoor market, battlements, a lovely little Picasso museum, and little winding streets to explore. I think the two towns offer the best of the Riviera.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 09:25 AM

this is a busy area....i'd stay as far away from cannes as i could during the festival....i drove one morning from nice to marsailles on the highway (not the way you want to go) and it took 2+ hours...we like the lttle town of bormes up on the hill...the port park we do not care for but you might find it more exciting....we stay over the mountain in collobrieres...2 small hotels there which you would find a complete change of venue---the real france...
there is tons to do all along the coast...get a good guide book...don't miss the cliff towns above nice..the driving is slow along the "coast" road but it is beautiful in spots....
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Nolita,
I stayed in Juan les Pins in 2000- and hated it, the beach was just okay and the town its self was a total bust.
I am close to your age and found it, and very touristy boardering on tacky.
I do not want to be a kill joy, but this was truely my most disappointing travel experience,ever.
GO ANYWHERE ELSE!
Fluffy
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:58 PM

I stayed at the Bestwestern Le Mirage in Bormes two years ago in early May. I recommend it highly. We had a front room with beach view and slept with the balcony doors wide open for the breeze--I can't remember if there was AC, we didn't need it. Breakfast was served (versus a buffet) and suited our needs. It was my first trip overseas and I had been unacquainted with the unique sugar cube packaging common in England and France. Both mornings I stole all the cubes I could find and now have quite the collection of "chien" in various poses! Crazy American!

Have you searched this site for opinions? I've written a couple in the past.

We didn't have a car and depended on the hotel shuttle for beach transportation. Because the weather was chillier than normal they agreed only to take us to the beach in town (my understanding is that there are other more remote beaches). We went there only for the sun and to walk. At sundown we left the beach in search of food, stopping at one place for a fancy drink and then on to a cafe where we were made to feel like royalty by the owner.

Bormes has a medieval city at the top of the hill which was wonderful for walking and shopping and photos.

Bormes is someplace I would like to visit again.

Linda
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Thank you for your help! You are all so awesome for answering back so promptly and honestly!