Reload this Page >

help planning rome trip

Search

help planning rome trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:13 PM
jen

help planning rome trip

Help! I am just beginning to plan a trip to Rome for November. I have a few questions. How do most travelers to Rome make their hotel reservations? Phone or email or fax? If I phone, can I expect to speak to someone who speaks English? Also, I am looking at airfares and am thinking of waiting on those for fall sales. What do you think of this? Can I assume prices will be lower for November? Thanks! PS Am thinking of staying at Hotel Navona or Residenza Zanardelli. Any comments on these?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Kay

Jen,<BR>we were in Rome earlier this year and made our hotel reservations via email at Hotel Smeraldo which is in a great spot, 2 min walk from Campo de Fiori which has a market in the square most mornings. <BR>www.hotelsmeraldoroma.com<BR>We noticed the receptionist/desk clerks taking some phone reservations and they all spoke English but this would depend on the person and the hotel. We stayed at other hotels, outside Rome, where no one spoke English but we managed. We did all our hotel bookings via email, just make sure you take a print out of the confirmation with you.<BR>Kay

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Elle

Jen, I hate to really sound negative but I doubt that you will find any airfare bargains this year. But traditionally airfares decrease in November so you can try asking around.<BR><BR>In regards to your trip planning to Rome, I realize that November is the beginning of the European low season. I'm pretty certain that you'll be able to get very reasonable hotel rates due to this fact.<BR><BR>Both the Hotel Navona and Residenza Zanardelli are okay. Neither is luxurious. In fact as you may already know, the Residenza Zanardelli is a guest house really not a hotel. The Navona has noisy front rooms due to the traffic. <BR><BR>I myself would look around for hotels that offer better accomodations because as I mentioned, November is low season and you can get a nicer place for less than the regular rate. That's only my opinion.<BR><BR>These days many hotels correspond via email. However, some people like to use the tradtional methods of phoning or faxing. It's all a matter of personal choice. Just get a booking confirmation in the end whichever way you choose. If you phone most likely the person who answers will know English. We visited Italy and many people know English.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:06 AM
jen

Elle, thanks for the help! What hotel would you recommend? Location is important to us, as well as a good price. I am curious as to why you think there will be no good airfare deals this year.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:23 AM
Rex

This is no substitute for recommendations - -but I strongly urge that you visit www.venere.com - - click on Rome - - or this will take you directly to the Rome pahe:<BR><BR>www.venere.com/roma<BR><BR>You can "window shop" there, make specific inquiries to hundreds of hotels, check availability and make your own reservations (or cancellations if necessary).<BR><BR>I think that the hotels I know best are above the price range you are seeking, but you will find numerous cheaper (and more expensive) ones there.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Sherri Kardell

Maybe I'm in denial ; but I am waiting for the airline fares to go down as well.<BR>You might want to log onto www.romeby.com check out some of the 3 stars and B&B's.<BR>It's low season and some of those 3 stars might be having specials.<BR>I liked the hotel Motzart alot( someone from this board reccomended it) I'm passing on the referal.<BR>La Dolce Italy!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:18 PM
jen

I looked at the hotel websites. Thank you very much. What I am looking for is personal experience, especially with Residenza Zanardelli. We would like to spend no more than $125 per night. I checked Hotel Mozart which is often mentioned here and it is more expensive. Anyone stay at Zanardelli or have personal experience with another hotel in my range?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:32 PM
monique

Hi! How wonderful that you are going to Rome. We just got back from Rome in June. We stayed at the Hotel Isa which is on the Vatican side of the river. We booked directly through the venere.com website. Had no problems whatsover. The hotel was a little more than what your budget but does that include all the taxes? Our rate included the taxes and breakfast each morning. The venere website is great because almost all hotels have pictures and if it has not changed since we used it no fees are imposed for the service which was very important to me. If you have other questions, please email me. Oh and although we tried to use our Italian everyone spoke Engligh.