Help picking a hotel.

Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Help picking a hotel.

I am going to be in London in a few weeks with my parents. It is a last minute trip. I am looking for a nice hotel 4-5 stars that is not too
formal and is also within a very short walk to pubs and eateries - my parents are in their late eighties. We don't want to be too far from central London. All of the hotels in Mayfair seem too grand, but the location seems great. Any help would be appreciated.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

4-5 stars doesn't tell us much -- what is your budget??
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Priceline..check biddingfortravel and then name your own price.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
yk

So, there will be 3 of you?

Are you looking for 1 room or 2 rooms?

What's your budget?

You may want to look at Hotwire and try for a 4* hotel there.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM

I found LondonTown.com to be a very helpful website, as you can plug in your dates and then look at a map that pops up available hotels and their prices.

I felt like had enough planning to do without figuring out how to bid on a hotel--and I wanted to make sure I had some control over the process.

We ended up booking the ParkCity, in Kensington, through LondonTown. It looks quite nice; the only down side (for me) is that breakfast isn't included. I can't report on more specifics, as we haven't gone yet--in fact might be there the same time as you, as we leave in three weeks.

Also, we had considered renting a flat through VRBO and then couldn't get the dates to work right for us. I noticed that quite a few flats were on the ground floor--a drawback for us (because we're fussy about noise) but possibly good for your parents?
Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM

Your desire for "4-5 stars" sounds as if your budget isn't a major issue. On the other hand, you say you don't like some hotels that are too grand. Maybe what you would like is a nice boutique hotel.

I suggest you check the Covent Garden Hotel. It's one of a few nicely located small hotels that give you more of a feeling of home than one of grandiose surroundings. Good luck.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM

Check out the Sumner Hotel, it seems real nice, we are staying there in May.

www.thesumner.com

Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM

I will be in London in a few weeks too - traveling with my 17 year old daughter and her best friend.

I wanted to use hotwire or priceline but found priceline is for rooms for two people not sure if this is the case with hotwire. we didnt want to worry about have a place for the third person to sleep.

my budget may be alot tighter than yours but we found travelodge for $26 per night for three nights. I was very happy with that.

good luck and hope you have a great trip.