NYC Hotel: For a co-worker

Mar 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

NYC Hotel: For a co-worker

A woman I work with is planning a June trip to NYC with her college-age daughter. She needs a hotel recommendation, and I'm not qualified.

The details:
Must be in Manhattan.
They will walk and use cabs, not the subway.
Daughter is most interested in seeing neighborhoods including Fashion Ave., the village, Chelsea, Soho, etc. They are only so-so interested in the classic attractions (i.e., don't need to see the Statue of Liberty, do want to see the Empire State Building).

Here's the kicker: Budget is $100-$150 per night, and Mom prefers three-stars.

Any suggestions for best fit for the budget?

(BTW, Mom is considering the Chelsea Savoy. Reviews would be welcome.)
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:27 AM

For that low of a price and 3 star level, they need to try Priceline.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM

The Chelsa Savoy might work. At least the location is convenient to where they want to go. You can certainly walk to Soho from there. The Howard Johnson on the Lower East Side might also be an option. It's going to be a stretch at this budget to find an acceptable choice. The Larchmont in the Village is a lovely small hotel but it has shared baths that I suspect won't be acceptable. If they raise their budget to $200, then they might be able to do the trip.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM

If you want to remain friends, I'd not get involved in this. It sounds like a no win situation with that budget. $150 a night including tax is about $ 125 a night before. I'm guessing that her idea of "three star" quality is nothing like the actual quality at places in that price range.

While the Chelsea Savoy site shows a lowest rate for a double room with queen bed at $135 before taxes, I'd be amazed if you can actually get that in June.
Mar 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Agree not to get involved. Finding a hotel that will make them happy at that budget is not an option. (And if they would take the subway versus cabs they could afford to spend more on a hotel.)

I suggest Priceline - but no lower than 4* - since hotels they rate 3* are sometimes not that pleasant. But they'll have trouble finding something in the area they want.

They could check out travelzoo and hotwire for their exact dates - and perhaps seeing the prices for available hotels will bring them to their senses.

In any case, they sound like VERY difficult people- and I would guess they will be unhappy with anything you tell them.
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
GoTravel

I'll third that sentiment. Any hotel in Manhattan that is only $150 per night will be dismal.

Introduce her to Expedia.com.

Mar 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Well, I've been in $150 hotel rooms in NYC that weren't dismal (Beekman Towers, Hudson) BUT these were special rates from places like travelzoo and were a result of right place/right time. On Priceline I've had the Hyatt for $110, again not dismal but PL prices are driven by inventory and I would guess that inventory in June will be thin.

Maybe the Wolcott? AAA rate at the Edison? I believe fodorite Statia has stayed there and was satisfied with the accommodations.

June is not cheap in NYC. Give them the tools to use (quikbook, applecorehotels.com, priceline, tripadvisor, etc) and then get out of it. As already mentioned if the $150 is including tax they are really up against it and I wouldn't want to be responsible for them liking the room. You can HELP, but donít be the one who selects.
Mar 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Correction to wording above: I believe statia stayed at the Wolcott.
Mar 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Just as I suspected...

Thanks to you all for the information. I'll pass it along - diplomatically