Pod Hotel NYC--any experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in hearing the impressions of anyone who has stayed at the Pod Hotel. I have made a reservation for my son and husband for an upcoming visit to NYC to visit colleges. The price and location are good.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Very basic but clean from all reports. The rooms are tiny - and you need to be sure what type you have - one with a double bed - or one with bunk beds and shared bath.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I've looked at Trip ADvisor which basically confirms what you say. My husband (who is the one who would be staying there) is more skeptical than I am but willing to try unless there are really negative reports.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Nothing to be skeptical about. You do realize some rooms have shared bathroom? Location is central for sightseeing in midtown east, but not near any of the schools he might be visiting.

The WashingtonSquarehotel.com is generally pretty reasonable and right near NYU in the village. http://www.thehotelnewton.com/ on the upper west side is a good budget hotel that makes getting to Columbia simple.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM

I don't understand the popularity of he Pod Hotel. They must have some good marketing out there. Their rates are higher than you'd pay for a much higher-quality place by bidding on Priceline, and usually higher than basic hotels like the Apple Core group, that have normal hotel setups complete with bathrooms and free breakfast. Have you done a search for past discussions of the Pod and other NYC hotels?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have done a search
Also I realize some rooms have shared bath

Mclaurie--thanks for the other suggestions.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Also note that the rooms with a private bathroom have an interesting bathroom - it is closed off from the bedroom with a sliding glass door. Yes, a glass door. I called the hotel to ask "so if I'm sitting on the bed, I can look into the bathroom and see the person sitting on the toilet" and the response was "yes, that's right". Just so you know!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

I thought I would report back on our family's experience with the Pod Hotel. My husband and son shared a small bunk room there this week for $129. This is one of the rooms with shared bath.(I saw the hotel with my husband and son before heading out to visit my mother in Ct).

We thought the hotel was fine for the price--clean and functional. The reception for the small TV for one bunk wasn't great. The lobby was quite pleasant and full of good NYC information including a listing of local restaurants. There is a small outdoor "garden" area with tables. (I saw the hotel with my husband and son before heading out to visit my mother in Ct). There is a nice pocket park right across the street.

The hotel obviously caters to younger travelers including quite a number of European travelers.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the report Vttraveler. I realize I should have also mentioned the larchmonthotel.com which is near NYU, an older property with shared bathrooms, but they do have a family suite or two with private bath.