Help Needed from Opaldog!!!

Mar 1st, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Help Needed from Opaldog!!!

I am thinking of staying at the apt on 38 rue ste croix and wanted to know if you would tell me about the apt? Also, do you think this would be a fun area for teenagers? I noticed there is no AC in this apt, have you ever stayed there in the heat of summer? Finally, would I follow the same directions from CDG as Mohan and would you recommend the RER (8 euros per person?) or getting a taxi for 6? Sorry for the length of this message, but I was so excited when I'd seen your post to Mohan and would love some more info on this area. Thanks so much.
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM

I just got back from Paris yesterday. The apartment is great. The area is great for all ages. We always use public transportation, but then we travel light. We carry on luggage. from Gare du Nord you could take the metro to Rambuteau and walk one block south and around one block east. Taking a taxi would be preferable for many people. It is just your own personal preference. We only stayed there in the winter, so I don't know about the AC. It is a busy street and you would have the windows open, so it depends on how much noise you can put up with. There is a club across the street. We stayed down the street one May when the weather weas in the 90's. It was the hotel ste. croix de la bretonnerie. We had the windows open and enjoyed all the street noise. The one annoyance was the drunk girl yelling at her boyfriend around 2 in the a.m. But even that was kind of comical. After all you are on vacation. The apartment is very nicely furnished and it is in an old building. The kitchen is nice. The bathroom has two doors, one into the bedroom and one into the living room. My husband and I used the sleep sofa in the living room and my daughter and son-in-law used the bed in the bedroom and my son used the trundle bed in the bedroom. It was a good sized bedroom. It also depends on how well your family gets along together in that amount of space. We are used to living in a small house with one bathroom, so it wasn't new for us. We also went out during the day together and apart and in the evenings also did different things and some together. I loved the area. You walk out your door and you are right in the middle of the neighborhood. Good luck.
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Opaldog!! I plan to reserve the apt tomorrow. Luckily, we are a close family!!
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:47 AM

how do i find more info on this apartment? is ther a websight?
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM

Richard: First, I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your Paris blog last winter. Have you posted any of your pictures yet? About the apartment; we rented it from rentparis.com. They are good people to deal with. We have rented twice from them, both times good experiences. I always dealt with Fabrice. You can see the apartment on their website, rentparis.com. We loved the apartment and we love the neighborhood. We're heading back in February. Not sure where we will stay. I like to try something new everytime to make it just slightly different. You know, different patisserie, different monoprix, different tabac, etc.
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I have posted a few photos on my blog, on some restaurants (L'Endroit, Cozy and Caveau). I still plan to add some but I never have time!

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis/

I was also in Montreal a few weeks ago and have some stuff there... (i heart montreal)

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartmontreal/

And I have my ongoing "i heart nyc" blog...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartnyc/

Oh, I almost forgot...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartaustralia/
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Check out your other post re: apartments. I would recommend either the rue Mornay apt. or Ste. Croix de la Bretonnerie. It kind of depends on what type of experience you are looking for. Do you want a view? or do you want to be in the thick of things in the Ste. Croix de la Bretonnerie neighborhood?
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Opaldog: We are renting the Rue du Mornay apt. in September for a week. Have you written anything about cafes and restaurants in the vacinity? The location looks excellent to me but friends who checked out the neighborhood a few months ago said that there aren't many restaurants nearby.

Also, do you think the best way to get to this apt from CDG is to take the Air France bus and get off at Gare de Lyon? Is it practical to walk from there to the apt. rolling 2 smallish bags?

Any other tips about this particular apt? We're getting very excited.

Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM

We loved the apartment. We also did not eat out alot, but brought in food. I am happy to eat cheese, wine, bread, etc. However there are plenty of restaurants in the area. The owner recommended one to us that was right around the corner. Ask him if you have contact with him. I forget the name of it. The apartment is near the Bastille and Rue St. Antoine and Ile St. Louis all of which have plenty of restaurants. It is an easy walk over to the Place des Vosges and other areas of the Marais. We shopped at a monoprix on Rue St. Antoine. We used any patisserie that looked good to us. There was one up off of the Bastille, Levain au marais (I think). Very good. Rue St. Paul had a patisserie that was good. We kind of just walk around and go in where it looks good to us. We always eat at Brasserie Ile St. Louis. We also eat at Trumilou along the Seine in the 4th. I would recommend reading a post from Richardab who did a blog last winter and recommended places in the same area. Type his name into the search and you will come up with his address. Definitely speak to the owner of the apartment about the restaurants in the area. He was very personable and great to do business with. Enjoy your stay. The building is not old and full of character, but the view surpasses the lack of that. The RATP cafeteria is across the street so there are lots of RATP workers during work hours. We would certainly consider going back there if it were to be available. Actually I just realized that Richardab's post is on this same subject area. Look it up, he had alot of good recommendations.
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I forgot to tell you how we traveled to the apartment. We used the metro from CDG. We went to Chatelet and changed to Line 7 and got off at Sully Morland and walked about 3 blocks to the apartment with 2 rolling suitcases. It was no problem. You could also have used Line 1 and gotten off at the Bastille, which actually may be closer to the apartment. I thought about the bus and Gare de Lyon, but I am familiar with the metro.
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Thanks, Opaldog. All your suggestions are great.

I am in contact with the owner. He wasn't aware that the Air France bus makes a stop at Gare de Lyon and thought that was a very good way to get to the apartment. He said the walk would be no longer than 15 minutes. I think we'll try it. Thanks again for all your help.
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I did think about the Air France bus because our arrival was during the morning rush hour. It worked out fine for us, however. The walk from the metro was a little shorter, but it would be interesting to approach the apartment from the direction of Gare de Lyon. We thought the neighborhood was great. It is quiet at night, but isn't that what you might want? You can walk anywhere and find anything that you would need or like for food, etc. Have a great trip. By the way it was Seamus who recommended the apartment. He posts on fodors.
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Yes, I think the location is ideal, and if it's a quiet neighborhood, that's even better.

I've seen the apartment recommended by several different people, so it's great to know we're going to a place that passes the Fodor test. Thanks again!
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM

I'll join Opaldog in singing the praises of the rue Mornay apartment. The business end of things was very pleasant and efficient with the American owner. It is not posh but clean and very functional, with excellent views and location (brasserie, bakery and small grocery within a block, no hordes of toursits, easy stroll to two Metro stops.)
If you want to walk from Gare de Lyon: turn right onto Rue be Bercy, walk to Boulevard de Bastille (runs along the canal) and turn right, then turn left and cross the footbridge. Once across the bridge you will find the building on your left in the first block.
Personally, I prefer to take a cab or shuttle (but not the multi stop shared shuttle) We used Airport Connection (www.airport-connection.com) and were very pleased. It cost a little more than a cab but it was sure nice having the space of a van and a pleasant driver. They were right on time for the return trip, too.
There is a bakery around the corner from the apartment - exit the building to the right, then right at the corner brasserie. There is another good bakery across the canal - go across the bridge and follow rue Jules Cesar to where it forms sort of a triangle with rue de Lyon and Av Daumesnil; the bakery will be on your left on the corner.
There is a small mom and pop type grocery with fresh produce very nearby on, I believe, rue Crillon.
For restaurants, we enjoyed wandering around until something caught our fancy. You have several options on foot: exit the building, go right then left up Blvd Bourdon along the canal to place Bastille (location of the Metro stop Bastille) around which you will find loads of places. Or, exit the building to the left, wallk up rue Sully (rue Mornay runs into rue Sully) to Blvd Henri V (this is also where you find the Sully Morland Metro stop as well as a bus stop) and turn left, crossing Pont de Sully onto Ile St Louis.
I had better stop raving about this place or it won't be available the next time I want to rent it! Have a marvelous time, and please do post your comments on your return.
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Thanks a bunch, Seamus. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have also found the owner to be delightful to deal with. Now I'm even more excited after reading your post!