Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help Ger choose an hotel in London please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all:

I will be in the UK next week and may stay in London for the weekend (not decided yet).

I would LIKE to keep the hotel to around 160GBP (my company is paying), but would consider paying a little more from my own funds for a nice place (I thought of the Dorchester, but I'd have to chip in an additional 100GBP per night (minimum) for four nights ... I think not ). I am concentrating on Mayfair, S. Ken and Chelsea.

My TA has found the following:
Regency – 113 GBP
Westbury Mayfair – 159 GBP
Montcalm – 152 GBP

The Westbury looks good, but has some bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Perhaps I should keep looking? I can't use "priceline" as I will not be able to make a final decision until next week, so I must be able to cancel at short notice.

Any recent recommendations would be much appreciated.

Regards Ger
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM
yk

Hi Ger-

I don't have any hotel suggestions for you, but just wondering if you're still planning to go to the Caravaggio exhibit?

I finally received the Caravaggio catalog in the mail (I ordered it online from National Gallery's website) but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm still reading the Turner/Whistler/Monet catalog!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:04 AM

Not sure which Regency you mean Ger. The Hyatt Regency-Chruchill is a very nice hotel and that would be a bargain rate, but I suspect you're talking about the Regency on Queensgate. It sounds uninteresting to me based on reviews on tripadvisor. The Westbury Mayfair and the Montcalm I think are good choices though. I see slightly better prices on both on the net. Orbitz has the Westbury Mayfair for $263 which equates to 140 GBP and lastminute.com has the Montcalm for 140GBP which includes VAT. Perhaps your rates include breakfast and the ones I see don't.

Another you might consider is the DeVere Cavendish on Jermyn St. Orbitz has it for 140GBP. The decor is more modern than the others but the location is terrific.

While maybe not exactly the area you wanted, the Sofitel St. James is available at around your budget and would be a convenient location for most things. I think it would be my pick in your shoes.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:56 AM

I stayed at the Westbury Mayfair two years ago on a rate booked through cheaphotels.com. The room was nice, but small and the location was convenient for Bond/Oxford Street shopping and Soho/theatre (except that there was nothing open anywhere nearby on Sunday morning, so I had to get my morning coffee at the hotel - very expensive). The small gym was a bit claustrophic, but adequate.

Have you considered booking either through superbreak.co.uk or cheaphotels? You'll get to choose the hotel (unlike priceline), but might get a better rate.

One other suggestion. I haven't stayed there yet, but I'm going to try to Sherlock Holmes Hotel on Baker St (conveniently located on the Jubilee Line). It looks like it's just been renovated - I'd love to get some feedback on it.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Have stayed at the Sofitel St. James a few times, lovely hotel in a great location. Does good on Tripadvisor.
You can walk most places from there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:38 AM

HI Ger..

If you would like to try a smaller , luxurious hotel, with free afternoon tea and cocktails and canapes!!..I checked and The Cranley is available at 130E per night..regular rate 185E..Check it out on www.londonnights.com

We love that area of London..Our mutal friend from Shanghai stayed there and loved it!

Jody
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Kate, I haven't stayed at the Sherlock Holmes but stayed near it last year at the Landmark (<i>very nice</i I checked out the Sherlock Holmes while in the neighborhood. It's fine for an affordable smallish hotel, but wouldn't at all put it in the same category as these others we're mentioning. I like the location, but not sure it's what Ger is looking for. I think it can be had for 100GBP/night or so. The small bar, restaurant and lobby area are nice and &quot;modernish&quot; but the the area in front of the elevators looked a bit worn and I've heard mixed reports on the rooms. Have they been renovated in the last year?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have asked my TA to check out your suggestions.

yk: Absolutely I am arriving Thurs afternoon so will probably go then. I'll buy the tickets on-line before I go.

regards Ger