Which London Hotel?

Search

Which London Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which London Hotel?

Hi All - Planning 1st time trip to London this July & thinking about either the Cavendish, Chesterfield Mayfair or Ashburton Hotel. Can anybody with any first-hand knowledge give me any info. on these hotels especially re. location.
Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM

Chesterfield Mayfair is a nice hotel in a very good Mayfair location. From that hotel you can explore upscale Mayfair; walk to Picadilly and Green Park, etc. Chesterfield is located on a sidestreet, so traffic noise is not as much of an issue as some other properties.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
cw

Lots of information on this recent thread about the Chesterfield Mayfair.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35125449

I've stayed at both the Chesterfield and the Cavendish. The styles of the two are completely different. The atmosphere at the Chesterfield is traditional small hotel, sumptuously decorated with fabric and wallpaper. The Cavendish is larger and is sleek and modern.

Room size is smallish but adequate at both, with the exception of some rooms at the Cavendish that are clearly designed for one, though they may use them as doubles. There is no door on the bathroom--a definite drawback. We asked for a different room, but none was available until the next day--when they cheerfully moved us. (This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.)

Both are in fantastic locations, near many sites and close to transportation. The Chesterfield has a more neighborhood feel with more dining options very nearby. Jermyn St. where the Cavendish is located is fairly quiet at night, and has lots of high end clothing and other shops, especially for men.

I'd stay at either one again, with an edge going to the Chesterfield.

I know nothing about the Ashburton.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for you replies. I have already booked the Chesterfield Mayfair. Thanks for your advice.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM

the Chesterfield is a lovely hotel. As others have said the rooms are not huge but very comfortable. If you are there on a weekend they have a special rate you have to stay 2 nights - Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The rate includes full english breakfast on both days, afternoon tea and a bottle of champagne. Definitely worth having!